Introducing Cherry Audio's Memorymode Synthesizer!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wwjd wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:31 am Does it sound dated? It should since it is pushing 40 years old :D
Lol it sounds like the intros to PBS show in the 80s (US folks will know what this is).

Every time I start playing I expect a voiceover to say "funding provided by the Annenburg project" or "this program is supported by viewers like you" with some weird synth sounds and 80s computer graphic logo animation.

briefcasemanx wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:22 pm The Memorymoog hardware itself doesn't sound as big and "moogy" as a minimoog, I've noticed. It doesn't have the low end oomph and it feels like there's something missing in the mids-high mids. It's not something I'd think of as a go-to for leads (or even basses although there are some really good bass presets in the softsynth), but that's just my personal opinion.
This is what I was saying earlier too, but some current Memorymoog owner with some serious ownership-bias facepalmed me for suggesting that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

simmo75 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:51 am How does it compare to UVI’s version?
UVI's PX Memories sounds far fuller, and more organic. CA's MM sounds grainy and synthetic (like all of their instruments). That said, the most meaningful test is to try to use a synth in a track. Some tracks may call for PX Memories, some may call for Memorymode.

Memorymode has some great sounds. For example, dial up 'Classic Detuned Saw', and play the high-pitched lead from the bridge of Tom Sawyer, while tweaking the cutoff and emphasis. I'm not sure you can get that kind of Oberheim-ish scream from PX Memories (though the 'Violead' preset comes close).

louderup wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:02 am
This is what I was saying earlier too, but some current Memorymoog owner with some serious ownership-bias facepalmed me for suggesting that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
could this all be a a communication misinterpretation?
as in, a real memory moog owner trying to say, "OF COURSE, it doesn't sound like minimoog, because it is completely different"
and not "you are wrong, it does sound as beefy as a minimoog" ?
just a thought

wwjd wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:51 am
louderup wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:02 am
could this all be a a communication misinterpretation?
as in, a real memory moog owner trying to say, "OF COURSE, it doesn't sound like minimoog, because it is completely different"
and not "you are wrong, it does sound as beefy as a minimoog" ?
just a thought
viewtopic.php?p=8165774#p8165774

freakin dupe post
Last edited by wwjd on Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

I read that it IS huge sounding (I tend to agree, from what I have watched, read, heard, I don't own a real one) but nothing like the mini because [the Memory Moog's]"filter is unique even to Moogs". Again, huge could be subjective, maybe, but it still doesn't sound like mini, so saying it is thinner/weaker/not as bassy as Diva and Obess minimoog emulation only makes sense. The memorymode wasn't made to be the minimoog emu king, it was made to BE the MemoryMoog emu.
Last edited by wwjd on Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

wwjd wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:23 pm I read that it IS huge sounding (I tend to agree, from what I have watched, read, heard, I don't own a real one) but nothing like the mini because "it's filter is unique even to Moogs". Again, huge could be subjective, maybe, but it still doesn't sound like mini, so saying it is thinner/weaker/not as bassy as Diva and Obess minimoog emulation only makes sense. The memorymode wasn't made to be the minimoog emu king, it was made to BE the MemoryMoog emu.
People get lost in the weeds. This emulation doesn't really sound like a Memorymoog, which of course doesn't sound like a Minimoog. They're not based on the same tech at all. The Memorymoog uses CEMs like the Oberheim etc. It's not missing bass or thin or any other nonsense. People are weird, bass is best done by monophonic synths, or stringed instruments intended to be played one string at a time for that matter, it has nothing to do with "thick" sounds. What hilarious to me is people who don't actually own or use a Memorymoog telling me how it sounds. :dog:

Then again, you would be surprised by how many classic bass sounds weren't done on a Minimoog, but were a Memorymoog, Oberheim or Jupiter, it's not at all impossible to play those synths monophonically, even stacked.

wwjd wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:07 pm Could you describe the differences you notice in that first comparison sound? I'd like to learn how people are hearing things.
For starters the high end is incredibly harsh, it's got a lot of aliasing for a plug in that takes as much CPU as it does.

Secondly like a lot of not very well modeled emulations it in general sounds like a DCO synth with digital filters. There really isn't any other less damming way to put it, it sounds really thin, and not in a "no two analog synths sound the same" way, in a straight simple older soft synth way.

It's as if someone made a cut down version of the synth. One of the things about Diva for instance is the VCO emulation is good enough to where it sounds thicker with two oscillators than this does with three. This is the travesty of it, the Xpander I have has from what I recall the same CEM chips in it, but with two oscs, and a weaker ADSR than the Memorymoog, it's just not as big of a sound. The Xpander still sounds thicker than this though.

I'm gonna quit with reviewing this plug in now. I respect that they modeled it, but IMO it's a really weak model, and kinda shockingly so. People love emulations even if they're not close, and personally I don't think this one is close at all.

I almost want to rent/borrow/buy a Memorymoog just to do a blind test with it used inside of actual music, to see if the people saying it's a shockingly bad emulation can tell the difference.

Inside of music cause that's how it's going to be a actually used, and because then no one can use plugin doctor in place of having ears and good monitoring.

I don't have a Memorymoog or an Xpander, but the Xpander doesn't really sound like a Memorymoog if the presets in all of the YouTube videos on both synths are anything to go by.

The Xpander actually sounds better and more versatile IMO but different strokes for different folks. I'm not getting the issue that I have with memorymoog (and mode) with the scratchy, distorty, unclear high mids and highs when the filter is open, where notes don't blend together musically when playing a chord. Pad and polyphonic patches on the Xpander sound freaking awesome if the videos are anything to go by. Polyphonic stuff can sound cool on the memorymoog (from the videos at least) but usually it's with the filter closed off to remove the weird sounding high end.
Last edited by briefcasemanx on Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

machinesworking wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:45 am
wwjd wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:07 pm Could you describe the differences you notice in that first comparison sound? I'd like to learn how people are hearing things.
For starters the high end is incredibly harsh, it's got a lot of aliasing for a plug in that takes as much CPU as it does.

Secondly like a lot of not very well modeled emulations it in general sounds like a DCO synth with digital filters. There really isn't any other less damming way to put it, it sounds really thin, and not in a "no two analog synths sound the same" way, in a straight simple older soft synth way.

It's as if someone made a cut down version of the synth. One of the things about Diva for instance is the VCO emulation is good enough to where it sounds thicker with two oscillators than this does with three. This is the travesty of it, the Xpander I have has from what I recall the same CEM chips in it, but with two oscs, and a weaker ADSR than the Memorymoog, it's just not as big of a sound. The Xpander still sounds thicker than this though.

I'm gonna quit with reviewing this plug in now. I respect that they modeled it, but IMO it's a really weak model, and kinda shockingly so. People love emulations even if they're not close, and personally I don't think this one is close at all.
but does this sound like a real Memory Moog? Do you own a real Memory Moog?

Here is a short demo I made with 3 presets I created:
https://soundcloud.com/examigan/memorymode-demo

Examigan wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:16 pm Here is a short demo I made with 3 presets I created:
Very cool sounds! That lead sounds really great.If you wanted to post the presets I'd use em.

briefcasemanx wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:24 am
Examigan wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:16 pm Here is a short demo I made with 3 presets I created:
Very cool sounds! That lead sounds really great.If you wanted to post the presets I'd use em.
Done. :)

a few days ago i made an experiment. i put a chunky piece of butter in a pan and heated it up. it sounded FAT and was WARM just like an analog synth.

Return to “Instruments”