Validating yourself as a musician in the land of likes and streams

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

deltadio wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:57 am
melomood wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:34 pm Thank you
I will have the pastrami sandwich with spicy mustard
and a coke
Just blow your nose hard, it seems your brain matter has already turned to a greenish pastrami :party:
My opinion of your pretentiousness & presumption is no higher
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

I worked in studios for years and noticed that when a musician placed to much importance on validation, the likelihood of them giving up if they didn't get it, was more common then if they could care less.

I think the musicians that really believed in themselves were less likely to need to approval of others.
Its probably true for most of the arts.

Isn’t the ability to be creative validation enough? Somehow the process (all those minutes, hours, days, months and years you spent spinning things around) has been left in the shadows. I’ve spent the last 30 years on one particular project, the vocalist and I come together every couple of years and write whatever comes, we’ve never tried releasing anything although the music is releaseable, it was always the process and the creative outpouring that was important and fulfilling. We validated ourselves through the just being creative, people who have heard what we were doing didn’t make it better or worse.

Likes and follows are merely tools in behavior modification. (Advertising)
It has nothing to do with validation of anything, well other than the platform making money from your activity.

So here's a solution, need more validation with likes and follows?

Plenty of companies out there will be happy to take your money to provide bogus likes and follows. Sounds like fair system eh?

How do you think the no talent celebs do it?

kelvyn wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:28 pm Isn’t the ability to be creative validation enough? Somehow the process (all those minutes, hours, days, months and years you spent spinning things around) has been left in the shadows. I’ve spent the last 30 years on one particular project, the vocalist and I come together every couple of years and write whatever comes, we’ve never tried releasing anything although the music is releaseable, it was always the process and the creative outpouring that was important and fulfilling. We validated ourselves through the just being creative, people who have heard what we were doing didn’t make it better or worse.

THIS!!!!!!!!! :party: :party: :party:
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

@deltadio

Your comments made me think a bit further. I will adjust my present course a bit. I will upload tracks as I finish them put them in a shared folder on Gdrive (for now). Share the links to folk that maybe interested with the notion that each release will be removed in 30 days. You can download it, share it, copy it, sell it (boa sorte), smoke it, snort it, shoot it or clean your back side with it. But after 30 days it disappears from my site.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

I feel passing silly giving that much time to this but I was in verbose mode.
Here's a guy coming in just to shit-stir and insult, there's no conversation except among those of us who understand. The whole thing of these remarks is a resentment really.
It's 'God Damn the Child Who's Got His Own', isn't it.

The goalpost 'likes and views' is idiotic. People that like something - or buy one's entire catalog - may *never* click like, & most of views are click-throughs. To the OP: do you have a channel filled with music? Probably no, but people who do recognize that. If you do have a high % of folks listening to every track all the way through, you're majorly exceptional.

"Once the poster chooses to express her-/himself it is up to the public to assess the greatness of the posts"
the people here ain't buying it and still you blather on, isn't it.

deltadio wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:14 am
Hink wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:15 am
deltadio wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:39 pm
Hink wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:10 pm I play music to soothe my heart and soul, I got my first guitar fifty years ago and music has been there through the ups and downs. The gift to me is what music has brought my life, that's the only validation I need...validation from strangers is indeed a foreign concept to me.

I surely understand those wishing to monetize their craft having a need for such validation...as a whole, money is a piss poor motivator for me, time is a great motivator...to those who know me, that really goes without saying so my validation is truly internal and always has. In the case of my music, it's about the moment, I really enjoy playing my guitar, and I really enjoy my peaceful time alone doing so. I consider it a gift, and you know my keeping it to myself? You might too :shrug:

ftr in the three years I have been with Holly, despite her asking...I have never played for her...not my style :shrug:
Powerful words. In this phase of life (or possibly a fair bit earlier than that) you are the musical equivalent of the lone wolf, the lone bard. If you are that autonomous and self-possessed you would think you could share your music (to some extent) without any ramification for your poise whether any feedback is absent, negative or positive. I hope Holly isn’t at times thinking “Oh, I bet you played for that nasty b*tch” referring to one of your more significant exes!
that's an odd assumption to make. My late wife passed away suddenly almost five years ago, Holly is a widow, we are both in our golden years and we are not competing with ghosts.
Sorry to have upset you. It wasn’t an assumption hence the use of the verb ‘hope’ and the obvious backdrop of innocuous merriment. It is fantastic that you both reached a state of mind characterized by harmony, placidity and acceptance. In my experience maturity does not always preclude petty nastiness in matters of the heart but I am glad your life is free from that.
not upset at all :lol: I also find the statement "In my experience maturity does not..." a bit odd, I'm 62 and have a lot of experiences in a lot of things...the one place I lack experience is in being old, thanks for the advice :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

im sure the lowbrow keyboard warriors are playing a festival near here in a couple of months

I say we all get a room and resolve this with boxing nun hand puppets

melomood wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:34 pm I say we all get a room and resolve this with ...
:hyper:
melomood wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:34 pm boxing nun hand puppets
:( oh

Heh. I'm put in mind of the story regarding the premiere of Le Sacre du Printemps, where some offended body shouted “Okay, whores of the Sixteenth Arrondissement, are you going to shut up soon!”
good times

:hihi:

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”