Windows 10 keeps cutting out my audio but I can't find out why

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, ever since I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 at the end of 2019 I've been plagued with the issue of random audio cut outs. I never experienced this on Windows 7.

I have a Motu 828 mkii USB audio interface connected to the only USB port that will allow it to operate 'properly'. It also has the latest driver available from Motu.

If I'm in either Studio One or Vegas pro and the audio cuts out neither program will play - it essentially gets stuck.

The only way to get the audio back is go to close all active programs, open up device manager, go to 'sound game controllers', disable the interface then enable it again. Once that's done the audio comes back straight away, until the next time it happens - which can be up to 15 times a day.

I don't even have to be running any programs for this to happen - I can leave the computer running, nip out for a 15 minute coffee, come back and the audio has been disconnected.

Clearly, to me anyway, Windows 10 is doing something to cause this but the event viewer isn't providing me with any useful information and Windows Tech Support...well, the less I say about them the better.

Over on the Motu forum it was suggested it could have something to do with the bitrate switching from 44.1 to 48khz, so I set Windows Audio to only use 44.1 - this hasn't helped.

I've also deselected all options for power saving for the system, including the USB hubs. I've disabled the on board motherboard audio driver (realtek) - nothing I do seems to work.

Has anyone here ever experienced something like this? If so what did you do to fix it? If not are there any suggestions or advice that can be offered regarding troubleshooting this issue?

I really appreciate any advice offered.

Thanks - will take a look into this!

Carystaal wrote: ↑Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:20 pm are there any suggestions or advice that can be offered regarding troubleshooting this issue?
To diagnose these sort of problems the first step is to download LatencyMon from Resplendence and run it for some time while your PC is completely idle.
https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon
Free "home" edition would be fine...

Do post back the results, perhaps we can do something about it.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

maybe you already tried this, but have you played with the Exclusive Mode settings in the Advanced tab of the device Properties dialog?

BertKoor wrote: ↑Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:00 am To diagnose these sort of problems the first step is to download LatencyMon from Resplendence and run it for some time while your PC is completely idle.
https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon
Free "home" edition would be fine...

Do post back the results, perhaps we can do something about it.
I'm running Latencymon now - typically the system is behaving itself, although it cut out twice earlier 😅 - I'll keep running it till it cuts out and let you know what it shows!

Do you use a wi-fi card, by chance? I had audio dropouts with mine, until I switched to another wi-fi card from ASUS, which doesn't interfere with my audio interface.

If you do, try to deactivate the wi-fi card, and see if you still have dropouts then.

JamminFool wrote: ↑Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:03 am maybe you already tried this, but have you played with the Exclusive Mode settings in the Advanced tab of the device Properties dialog?
I just checked and it's currently not selected, although if I remember correctly it was already checked and I unchecked it as part of another earlier problem solving mission - something I'll keep in mind though until it's figured out 👍.

Sounds like an issue I had...whenever I switched to another app (or a popup from another app appeared) whilst Studio One was playing the sound would cut out and I had to close it down and log out and back in.

Eventually found a setting (which I think may have been added in v4?) under Audio Setup.
Uncheck the box that says "Release audio device in background".
Consequence is that other apps are then silent whilst you have Studio One open, but you can always flip the setting back when needed.
Last edited by Psyclapse on Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

double post

chk071 wrote: ↑Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:54 pm Do you use a wi-fi card, by chance? I had audio dropouts with mine, until I switched to another wi-fi card from ASUS, which doesn't interfere with my audio interface.

If you do, try to deactivate the wi-fi card, and see if you still have dropouts then.
Thanks for the suggestion but there's no WiFi card installed 😉.

Psyclapse wrote: ↑Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:54 am Sounds like an issue I had...whenever I switched to another app (or a popup from another app appeared) whilst Studio One was playing the sound would cut out and I had to close it down and log out and back in.

Eventually found a setting (which I think may have been added in v4?) under Audio Setup.
Uncheck the box that says "Release audio device in background".
Consequence is that other apps are then silent whilst you have Studio One open, but you can always flip the setting back when needed.
Thanks for the reply - I just checked S1 and the box is currently unchecked. The more I'm digging the more I think it's something to do with my graphics card driver....

So just to be clear - the problem you have is that the audio is glitch free but then randomly stops completely, is that right?
Its not glitches and dropouts? Because the suggestions relating to latency monitoring is about resolving glitches and dropouts AFAIK. I had that issue as well and latency mon helped me nail that. But I suspect from your description its not that.

Psyclapse wrote: ↑Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:44 am So just to be clear - the problem you have is that the audio is glitch free but then randomly stops completely, is that right?
Its not glitches and dropouts? Because the suggestions relating to latency monitoring is about resolving glitches and dropouts AFAIK. I had that issue as well and latency mon helped me nail that. But I suspect from your description its not that.
Spot on - I can play music, edit video, programme in S1 and the audio is dropout/glitch free. It just randomly stops whenever and it's totally at random but I'm just running some tests and will post in a mo...

Nope - I've tried everything - installed new graphics drivers from scratch, disabled all sleep options, run Latency Mon but it doesn't provide the info I need, disabled all audio enhancements....the list goes on but the issue is still there.

The only culprit left is the Motu 828mkii itself - the only drivers provided by Motu are ancient so it could be it's not playing nicely under Windows 10.

My son has a Presonus Audiobox so I'll swap it with the Motu and monitor it - and keep fingers crossed it works 🙃!

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”