What was your first hardware synthesizer?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

4damind wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:45 pm My first "synth" the Casio MT 31, was IMO more like a toy. So my first real synth was a DX 21 (trimmed down version of the DX7).
You just reminded me that I had a DX 21. No velocity or aftertouch though. Not a synth I miss, I was glad to see it go.

Synton Syrinx

Followed by a Kawai K5 and the Akai VX600 with S700 sampler (connected with that weird voice cable to use the sampler voice through the synth engine)

Yamaha W7: long forgotten unknown workstation...
was on deep discount when I bought it

My first keyboard of any kind was the Casio SK-1, which I still have. My first professional-grade instrument was a used Kawai K1, which I think I got in 11th grade.

Around 2000: A Yamaha PSS/PSR something... I don't know what happened to it. I wanted an SH101 but I had no budget at all. I could've bought it back then for the price of an MS101.
Around 2005: A Moog Slim Phatty - I consider this my first hardware synth. It sounded great, but I found it "boring". Sold it and bought a Boomstar SEM with the money. I still have that one.

DSI Evolver! Still a very nice synth. Wish they made a modern version with a quicker interface. The sounds one can get out of this thing are amazing!
Qw, music from twelve weeks in quarantine is now streaming on spotify and bandcamp. This is a collaboration with the the smallest of worlds VR art project, that documents our living spaces in times of isolation. You can join their project here.

Roland SH2 bought 1980. Still have it.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

Korg T2EX, I loved that thing but was annoyed that it didn't have a resonant filter.

Korg DW8000, followed by Oberheim Matrix 6r, then Korg Poly 800II, and Ensoniq Mirage. I sold off everything eventually to replace with newer synths, except the Oberheim. I finally sold that a only few years ago. The only hardware synth I own now is a Korg Karma which I never use. This may change, but I use soft synths almost exclusively.
“Madness, as you know, is like gravity: all it takes is a little push.”

A DX7. Should have kept it.

Technics SX-AX7

Not great, can remember very little about it, pretty cheesy.

A 2nd hand Roland Alpha-Juno 1. It is also the only hardware synth I've ever owned. I regret selling it, but I felt cramped with 49 keys.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Korg DS-8. Did not have one single clue how to work it.

Korg Electribe EA-1

Prophet-5 was the first synth I purchased.
I also had access to a couple Synclavier, one in the studio I worked at and one from Stevie Wonder.
With the Synclavier we worked on the first completely sampled recording, now on display at the Smithsonian museum.

Around that time I got a Memory Moog which is a beauty to look at, they used wood on all these synths which is nice to have that organic addition to all those electronics.

I had the great opportunity to be trained by Moog on working with this super synth.
It was a great time for electronic music.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”