Approaching a Black Hole EP (2 oldschool psytrance tracks)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Two tracks that deliberately sound like they have been made around 2000 to 2007.

This one has more goa-ish vibe, inspired by older Electric Universe and Cosmosis stuff
https://soundcloud.com/recursion-loop/a ... black-hole

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mU3BqMQiGw

This one is more full-on kinda stuff inspired by Silicon Sound, Astrix (Eye to eye and Artcore), Alternative Control and similar

https://soundcloud.com/recursion-loop/a ... ebula-2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRGiA5HCElA

One is almost entirely made with Access Virus, one is 100% ITB (guess which is which :wink:)

mastering by Kristian master@aeap.se
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Bump :oops:

Psy is not everyone's cup of tea I guess (and the producution is somewhat raw here), but maybe someone would like these for what they are

recursive one wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:34 am One is almost entirely made with Access Virus, one is 100% ITB (guess which is which :wink:)
The Virus has a darker tone in general, so my guess is, the 2nd track "Andromeda Nebula 2021" is the Virus one. In the first track the synths are more pronounced in the mid and high range, it's kinda "thinner" sounding, but maybe that is from the mixing. :?:

Well, soundwise the tracks are good. Nice musical gimmicks also. But one must be a psytrance fan.. Enjoyed it, though.

Wow, top notch stuff, amazing production, you absolutely own this genre!

When I saw the descriptions, thought to start with second one, because that's the sound I kinda prefer more, put decided to play first one and thing blew me away, wow, amazing flow, I got hooked from the start, it just got better and better, drives like mad, absolutely top notch track.

But second one just flew by my head, don't know why, maybe I was expecting too much from it based on the first track or I expected something different based on description, but I just didn't got into it, track is piece of art, so it's just me, you absolutely killed it in your own way! Guess I was expecting those hooky melody lines that Astrix and Alternative Control are known for, there's break and bam they fade in with absolutely killer melody line in earlier stages of the piece, that's the kind of thing I expected to hear, than same thing for main lead line, bigger break in the end and than some hooky lead line that just drives like mad. But this is you, this isn't parody, you got your own thing going on with your signature one shot madness and vowel-y leads.

Do more of this, I really dig that period and your skills are amazing!

anoise wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:46 am the 2nd track "Andromeda Nebula 2021" is the Virus one.
Correct.

Indeed from my experience of using Virus, it does have much darker and fatter tone than most plugin synths doing similar things. This also dictates somewhat different approach to mixing and arrangement.

The first one has a lot of Viper sounds though, along with other plugins (Repro, Diva, Rapid, Dune etc)
htcnext2 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:53 am Well, soundwise the tracks are good. Nice musical gimmicks also. But one must be a psytrance fan.. Enjoyed it, though.
Thanks for listening! Yes, I realize psytrance is a niche genre and these tracks are kinda niche within a niche, targeting certain sound which is no more popular. Glad you enjoyed it, anyways :)
Passing Bye wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:21 pm Guess I was expecting those hooky melody lines that Astrix and Alternative Control are known for, there's break and bam they fade in with absolutely killer melody line in earlier stages of the piece, that's the kind of thing I expected to hear, than same thing for main lead line, bigger break in the end and than some hooky lead line that just drives like mad.
But that melody at 5:50, doesn't it sound Astrix-y? :)

The track went trough numerous revisions (the backbone of the track was laid out in 2016) and it originally had much more of these fluffy morning melodies, later I replaced most of the fluffy stuff with dark and agressive synths, basically I only kept that 5:50 melody.

Anyways, I didn't try to copy anyone, just tried to make a full-on track pretending that it's still 2006 and the next decade of psytrance never happened.
Passing Bye wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:21 pm Do more of this, I really dig that period
That's not unlilkely. I'm currently trying to pursue more modern sound ... but psytrance has deviated too much from what it used to be and what I used to love, so I feel I start hitting some kind of writer's block.

Maybe it's time to go back to the roots, have some astral ignition and get lost in velocity.

Passing Bye wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:21 pm your skills are amazing!
Thanks, mate! :hug: Thanks for listening, glad you enjoyed the tracks, at least the fisrt one!

recursive one wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:04 pm The track went trough numerous revisions (the backbone of the track was laid out in 2016) and it originally had much more of these fluffy morning melodies, later I replaced most of the fluffy stuff with dark and agressive synths, basically I only kept that 5:50 melody.
Yeah, that's it, fluffy morning melodies, I'm sucker for those obliviously hihi and obviously (auto correct nailed it first time lol)
Anwyays, I didn't intend to copy anyone, just tried to make a full-on track pretending that it's still 2006 and the next decade of psytrance never happened.
And you absolutely did it!
That's not unlilkely. I'm currently trying to pursue more modern sound ... but psytrance has deviated too much from what it used to be and what I used to love, so I feel I start hitting some kind of writer's block.

Maybe it's time to go back to the roots, have some astral ignition and get lost in velocity.
It's always good to get back and figure out the essence, I know you follow E-Clip, he expanded on that in one of the recent videos, he was back and forth with modern sound that pleases the crowd and his own thing from beginning of his journey, where he got hooked on one shot sounds as he was approaching the dancefloor and all that...

Do you play live? If not, maybe that's the missing link, getting in the flow with dancefloor, playing your music and getting first hand reactions, of course, not to go into "please the crowd" mode, but to find your own drive.
Thanks, mate! :hug: Thanks for listening, glad you enjoyed the tracks, at least the fisrt one!
I'm not giving up on second, gonna give it a go with fresh mindset, it's not fair to go in and expect someone pull off something you expect, wait for it and than miss whole thing because of that.

Passing Bye wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:25 pm Do you play live? If not, maybe that's the missing link, getting in the flow with dancefloor, playing your music and getting first hand reactions, of course, not to go into "please the crowd" mode, but to find your own drive.
No, never did and likely never will, music is just a little hobby for me (so "pleasing the crowd" is not much of a concern here, as there's no crowd :) )

But I know than psytrance may sound very different depending on whether I listen to it at home or on the floor, I can enjoy some stuff on a party which I'll never listen to at home, like some hi-tech, darkpsy and similar. So yes, that might probably be an essential experience.

Now I'm kinda trying to figure out what I actually want to say with my music, I only recently got past the stage when my main concern was how to mix the bass with the kick and how to make all these squelches and FM leads.
Passing Bye wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:25 pm
Anwyays, I didn't intend to copy anyone, just tried to make a full-on track pretending that it's still 2006 and the next decade of psytrance never happened.
And you absolutely did it!
Cool :party:

recursive one wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:20 pm Now I'm kinda trying to figure out what I actually want to say with my music, I only recently got past the stage when my main concern was how to mix the bass with the kick and how to make all these squelches and FM leads.
Artistic vision quest. Wish all to fall in place for you, you are great and humble guy, your music making skills are top notch, hope you will find that spark deep inside of you and bless us with particles of yourself through your music.

I dig the arrangement and sound processing, and I'm not an EDM fan! There's something that keeps me listening through, drags me into the next moments. Great job on both of them!

:hyper: :shock: :eek: :wheee:
eassae.com
“I do nothing professionally, I do everything for fun.”—Prince, Under the Cherry Moon

Passing Bye wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:36 pm Wish all to fall in place for you, you are great and humble guy, your music making skills are top notch, hope you will find that spark deep inside of you and bless us with particles of yourself through your music.
Wow! :oops:

Thank you, mate.
shawshawraw wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:26 pm I dig the arrangement and sound processing, and I'm not an EDM fan! There's something that keeps me listening through, drags me into the next moments. Great job on both of them!
Cool, thanks! Glad you liked it!
eassae wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:26 pm :hyper: :shock: :eek: :wheee:
:) :party: :ud:

Great work man! There is love, sweat and perseverance in it!
recursive one wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:04 pm I'm currently trying to pursue more modern sound ... but psytrance has deviated too much from what it used to be and what I used to love, so I feel I start hitting some kind of writer's block.

Yes, do what you love! You will definitely have your audience if you do it with passion and keep this quality or get better!
I like to listen to modern and old psytrance, modern like while driving, retro stuff and hitech-style stuff is just a great trip with depth (as if I could liquefy, if you know what I mean :D).

Faiky wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:57 am hitech-style stuff is just a great trip with depth (as if I could liquefy, if you know what I mean :D).
I think I know it, yes :phones:

Thanks for your comment, man, means a lot!

I've only listened to the first track so far, but that production sounded anything but raw. It was a great, driving piece of music with lots of intricate variations throughout which maintained interest until the end.

I'll try to listen to the other piece tomorrow. It will be interesting to compare the software with the hardware.

Good work :)

Return to “Music Cafe”