New Cherry Audio synth plugin Sept. 16th

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I dunno... do people even buy things that Jordan Rudess hasn't endorsed?
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

DrGonzo wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:41 pm I'm really impressed with the speed they are developing their software. How is it possible?
See Vortifex’s comment above. I have a similar impression. I think they are arranging various objects developed for VM into an architecture that fits classic synth XYZ, adding whatever extras are needed, and slapping a GUI over it all.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

DrGonzo wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:41 pm I'm really impressed with the speed they are developing their software. How is it possible?
Recycling code

Tj Shredder wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:09 am
Super Piano Hater 64 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:23 pm
Synth Master Jedi wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:31 pm I don't get caught up in the whole aliasing thing, though some people seem to obsess over it.
From what I've seen, the sound designers are more bothered by it than the musicians.
I am bothered as a musician mainly. A glide in the high register just sounds wrong if part of the harmonic content of the sound is moving in the opposite direction… If you play it just with a keyboard without any bends, the aliasing is just a bit of harshness which might be acceptable in a mix context…
I do like the character of the CA synths a lot and prefer them over other emulations mostly. I just must not play them in the higher registers…
any given preset of any synth has its sweet spot register. i havent encountered one single preset of any synth that sounded equally awesome in the full 88 register, no matter plugin or hardware. its mostly at max 2 octaves or even 1 and a half. in some cases i think its even 3 notes or so the rest is often from awkward up to beshitted. thats why i always write a recommended register into a preset file.
maybe my brain is dysfunctional^^

anttimaatteri wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:00 pmany given preset of any synth has its sweet spot register. i havent encountered one single preset of any synth that sounded equally awesome in the full 88 register, no matter plugin or hardware. its mostly at max 2 octaves or even 1 and a half.
A good - musical - preset designer will (or should!) factor that in - if I have an awesome sound in the middle, I will see what happens going up and down, and then I will tailer scaling and other controls to make sure the sound still does interesting things in an extended range - or if it doesn't, have some split or layer thing where those less useful ranges are filled with something else.

it's not always possible to do this without spoiling the original intended patch, but the options should at least be explored.

If you're making a bass sound and it sounds crap up high, a preset designer should at least explore some possibilities of doing something better outside the intended range, but a lot of people are lazy and say "well the sound works fine in this octave, and that's good enough for me" and won't explore proper performance controls, key scaling, velocity, aftertouch and other possibilities that a more competent sound designer will...

Why doesn't my guitar have 88 strings????? :D (just an anology)

wwjd wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:16 pm Why doesn't my guitar have 88 strings????? :D (just an anology)
Then it would be called monster harp and not guitar.
My LinnStrument has 160 keys, more than Midi can deal with…

peasants: coonan, tell us whats best in life!
coonan: to make music, buy plugins and hear the lamentation of the analogue owners

A JP-4 or ProMARS for $29 would be nice......Andromeda seems too ambitious for CA for $39 but wow, what a release that would be! Of course, ProMARS already exists (Roland Cloud) - not sure the world needs another one of those.....

beely wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:28 pm
anttimaatteri wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:00 pmany given preset of any synth has its sweet spot register. i havent encountered one single preset of any synth that sounded equally awesome in the full 88 register, no matter plugin or hardware. its mostly at max 2 octaves or even 1 and a half.
A good - musical - preset designer will (or should!) factor that in - if I have an awesome sound in the middle, I will see what happens going up and down, and then I will tailer scaling and other controls to make sure the sound still does interesting things in an extended range - or if it doesn't, have some split or layer thing where those less useful ranges are filled with something else.

it's not always possible to do this without spoiling the original intended patch, but the options should at least be explored.

If you're making a bass sound and it sounds crap up high, a preset designer should at least explore some possibilities of doing something better outside the intended range, but a lot of people are lazy and say "well the sound works fine in this octave, and that's good enough for me" and won't explore proper performance controls, key scaling, velocity, aftertouch and other possibilities that a more competent sound designer will...
A lot of emulation type synths don't really have the flexibility to do a whole lot in this area.

No word on the website yet…I wonder if it’s been delayed?

Caesarg86 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:43 pm No word on the website yet…I wonder if it’s been delayed?
they usually drop early evening time in the uk, it's early for them i think.

I've been longing for a Jupiter-4 for some time now, not sure how I feel about CA doing it. I'll demo anyway.

Does the Jupiter-4 have a ladder filter? Resonance on this thing is very sensitive, and has a larger volume drop than I would expect.

Return to “Instruments”