Expensive vs Cheap guitar? What makes it better?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:02 pm
Hink wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:24 pm nah...being cheeky...dan armstrong lucite
doesnt the lucite guitar prove that, expensive doesnt necessarily mean good :lol:

(im not really commenting on them, never played one, but id happily buy the lego guitar if they wanted to sell it, well, depending on price, im not a total muppet)
well kinda more like if GS doesnt prove the lucite guitar doesn't have much character...guess it was a fail :oops:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

its mostly the pickups and the quality of the electrics plus the tuning mechanics. the rest is due to CAD processing of necks and bodys just a matter of finishing it properly by human hands. what it makes it really expensive is bindings, inlays, painting and the materials used. "expensive" as in "collectors item expensive", or FULLY handmade with handmade pickups.

you can put pickups on a made of cardboard body and it sounds great

Maybe the finer detail, setup and hardware.
Currently trying to turn noise into music. :neutral: Is boutique the new old?

oh and i add one thing too.
depends on the country were its made. working hands in capitalist driven countries are the most expensive due to higher prices of products for a living, rent, ensurances etc etc... and for sure the owner of the buisness wants his cheese too for blackjack, booze and hookers ^^

thats why they went from japan in the 70s, to corea over to indonesia just to end up in china. and i guess the last bastion of cheapass working hands will be the african continent, while i highly doubt that this will happen in the near future.

I'm usually insane wanting the next better thing, but when I got my used Telecaster for $400, I stopped wanting any other guitar.

I'm thinking of getting an Ibanez GAX30 Gio, has anyone had any experience playing these guitars? I hear the sound quality can't be beaten for the price.
Why the hell did I come back to this God forsaken forum? :dog:

Tuning - and for how long it holds it.

Unaspected wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:15 pm Tuning - and for how long it holds it.
So are you saying you have had issues with Ibanez GAX30 Gio staying in tune? If so how often are you having to re-tune, and does it go out of tune whilst you are playing after just tuning it.

biggest differences... material quality (actual wood used), electronic component quality control, care for fit and finish. a guitar for $149 usually gets far less attention than say one selling for $1000. also there is more reason to use third world countries for 'cheap' guitars other than just labor, property costs and taxes. more often than not regulations can be skirted or just don't exist at place of manufacture like chemicals used and waste disposal. all done to get the price down

but other than that both cheap and expensive are basically the same.. wood, metal and a bit of plastic etc lol

cheers
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

Henry Jimdrix wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:09 pm
Unaspected wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:15 pm Tuning - and for how long it holds it.
So are you saying you have had issues with Ibanez GAX30 Gio staying in tune? If so how often are you having to re-tune, and does it go out of tune whilst you are playing after just tuning it.
Sorry for the confusion. I was replying to the general thread question.

It's definitely on the cheaper side so I would expect corners to have been cut somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyV9WaNCwQo

Found that. Might contain some useful information.

and this is useful because... :shrug:

When doing gigs, I never felt the need to check my tuning mid 40 min set. Tuners, nut and bridge stability. I don't every recall having a guitar that had tuning issues. If there every was, it would have been a strat style tremolo, the usual culprits.

I use locking trems and have blocked off my Tokai strat, its not worth the hassle, unless you like playing like Hank Marvin.

I can't see that Ibanez having much wrong with it, other than a being over tuned due to new strings not being stretched. That extra tension would increase the neck relief.

Maybe it's someones first guitar and they weren't really sure.
Currently trying to turn noise into music. :neutral: Is boutique the new old?

i use so many fx, its hard to know if im in tune or not :hihi:
i can tell you, im probably not, unless im doing a touch of fuzz in to a delay only, then ill bother tuning up, otherwise, as its going through all kinds of glitching and pitchshifting nonsense, not much point :lol:

Unaspected wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:34 pm
Henry Jimdrix wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:09 pm
Sorry for the confusion. I was replying to the general thread question.

It's definitely on the cheaper side so I would expect corners to have been cut somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyV9WaNCwQo

Found that. Might contain some useful information.
No Probs :tu:

The Noodlist wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:29 pm
I can't see that Ibanez having much wrong with it, other than a being over tuned due to new strings not being stretched. That extra tension would increase the neck relief.

Maybe it's someones first guitar and they weren't really sure.
That did cross my mind, people who have complained about tuning stability issues with the model may not be that be very knowledgeable as to the possible causes of the issue.

Return to “Guitars”