Producing Music In Reverse - Cheating ?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's a strange way to work in a DAW when producing a piece of music.. but it's something I have often found myself doing. It feels like I'm cheating the whole process or task / challenge. Is that something you find yourself doing ?
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Is it really "in reverse", though?
Last edited by antic604 on Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I always begin with mastering well before one note is recorded. Much easier that way, so why is that cheating?
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

You insert notes from right to left, starting with the end of the song?

You play your riffs backwards and reverse them in the DAW?

Or like Berkoor suggests, you mix and master before recording/programming?

Can somebody translate the meaning of reverse here, plz?
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:36 am Can somebody translate the meaning of reverse here, plz?
I'm guessing - hence my post above - that he means that contrary to "real musicians" many DAW users nowadays use the software to actually come up with ideas - perhaps a patch, a sample, a short sequence or even an FX sound will inspire further steps, which will result in building the actual song and arrangement from that seed. So that would be "in reverse", i.e. instead of having a complete vision in your head - like a "real musician" would - and opening a DAW to just record it and elaborate on some details, someone else would start from a detail figuring out the rest around it. I know I work like that.

But I also suspect - verging on certainty - that a lot of "real musicians" also get inspired by single sound, a riff, a pattern they heard, etc. That's why I'm not sure if it's really "in reverse". Perhaps it's just different tools and workflow, which ties all of this nicely with the discussion about treating your DAW as an instrument or whether or not DAWs should be boring.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

there is subtractive music production too, https://www.edmprod.com/subtractive-music-production/

removing elements from the arrangement instead of adding them
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

releasing a piece before you start it would be the ultimate goal 8)

can I ask what this has to do with hosts?
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Story of this thread.

What is producing in reverse? as in produce/play the music play backward?

Will you lose weight & become younger?
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

darkinners wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:42 pm What is producing in reverse? as in produce/play the music play backward?
finish before you begin :ud:

Michael L wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:57 pm Will you lose weight & become younger?
ummm...dude, plz trust me on this one...saturday after hours in my basement trying to decide if I should start loading up animals 2x2 I weighed myself...181.6, literally soaking wet with clothes on (when my wife died, 235ish? ). Absolutely the lowest I have been in decades, my appetite checked out without a forwarding address (no lie, sometimes takes two meals to eat one burger)...you will lose weight when you become older...hopefully a little at a time though,not the whole kit and kaboodle at once :scared:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

vurt wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:21 pm
darkinners wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:42 pm What is producing in reverse? as in produce/play the music play backward?
he speaks from experience, if he were in the stones the album would have been Sticky Fly instead of Sticky Fingers...it almost was anyhow :shrug:

Hink wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:41 pm
vurt wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:21 pm
he speaks from experience, if he were in the stones the album would have been Sticky Fly instead of Sticky Fingers...it almost was anyhow :shrug:
nope, i do ok there.
i do have a friend "oops sorry dave" who got the nickname after shooting in a girls hair as she knelt down and unzipped him.

Return to “Production Techniques”