List of M1 ARM native Vsts/AU?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

That list is entirely unreliable. Many of the plugins there are not UB2, and in some cases haven't been updated since well before the developer Minis were made available by Apple.

teilo wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:06 pm I have a thread on this in the hardware forum with an extensive list, sorted by type and company. There are way more than noted above.

Tracking Apple Silicon Native Hosts, Plugins, Effects

Since it's nearly impossible for me to find these on my own, any help identifying new releases is appreciated.
I missed even more than I thought! Thanks so much for putting that together; I wish I'd known about it earlier. I'll bookmark it and contribute any more that I find along the way.

teilo wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:31 pm
Halonmusic wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:34 pmOrange.
What product specifically are you referring to? There are a few plugins that go by that name.
Nothing. 'Apples/Oranges' - this is an Apple thread. Tried to be funny but didnt work :hihi:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

I read that FL Studio can not run in there native M1 ARM Version VST which are also not native ARM.
But I understand that native M1 Logic X can run not Native M1 ARM ready AU´s (means Intel Version) Plugins, correct?
How does it looks like for Bitwig? Can they run both version of the plugin (ARM & Intel) in there native ARM M1 DAW?

Heartleader wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:40 am I read that FL Studio can not run in there native M1 ARM Version VST which are also not native ARM.
But I understand that native M1 Logic X can run not Native M1 ARM ready AU´s (means Intel Version) Plugins, correct?
How does it looks like for Bitwig? Can they run both version of the plugin (ARM & Intel) in there native ARM M1 DAW?
The ones I know about anyway:
Logic can run native Arm AU's I believe it might be possible to run x86 Intel AU's as well but not sure.

Bitwig can run both native and x86 VSTs because of it's sandboxing tech.

DP can run native and some x86 AU's because of the built in Rosetta translation that happens.

Basically it seems that DP can run some x86 plug ins in it's Native version by happy accident, whereas I think they don't really want that in Logic? So Bitwig is the best bet for smooth native and x86 plug ins.

Logic in native ARM mode does run x86 Intel AU's.

FL Studio Native can also run Intel AUs but not VSTs.

No word yet on Studio One.

teilo wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:42 pm FL Studio Native can also run Intel AUs but not VSTs.

That is interesting :-) AU = Apple Format and works with Intel; VST = Cubase (open) and don't work with Intel :dog:

Heartleader wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:46 pm
teilo wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:42 pm FL Studio Native can also run Intel AUs but not VSTs.

That is interesting :-) AU = Apple Format and works with Intel; VST = Cubase (open) and don't work with Intel :dog:
It's far more complicated than you let on.

Apple wrote an AU bridge for Logic that can be used by anyone if they specifically support it. It's not automatic, but for those that used Apple's AU implementation framework, it's a fairly small change.

The VST architecture is completely different from AUs, and there is no "one bridge to rule them all" that would even work with VSTs across DAWs. Also, VST isn't an "open" standard. It's entirely controlled by Steinberg.

A bridge is two components: a plugin host running under Rosetta2 and a "server" component running native that interfaces with the DAW. The two components pass data via shared memory, sockets, or TCP/IP. That's a lot of engineering work on its own. Apple has always provided an OS-mediated hosting system, where the AU framework does the hosting, and the plugin host interfaces with the framework. Their Rosetta2 bridge is just an extension of an interface that already existed. However, most DAWs load the VST binaries directly, which is not going to work on any DAW running native. The DAW needs to be re-architected according to the above scheme to bridge architectures. Further, not all AU hosts use Apple's OS framework. Ableton for example does not. It loads the AUs directly, so they won't be able to take advantage of Apple's bridge without some major re-engineering.

FYI – Bitwig already used a system similar to what I describe above for all VST hosting, so it was trivial for them to support Intel plugins when running native. All they really had to do was launch a plugin host process via Rosetta2, and it just worked. But no one else does that, so it requires more work.

no it can't. If you run Presonus in M1 mode, only AUs show up - VSTs don''t.
If you run it in Rosetta, VSTs also show up.

And yes, AUs run via the same AUHostingCompatibilityService as Logic uses.

teilo wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:55 pm
Heartleader wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:46 pm

It's far more complicated than you let on.

Apple wrote an AU bridge for Logic that can be used by anyone if they specifically support it. It's not automatic, but for those that used Apple's AU implementation framework, it's a fairly small change.

The VST architecture is completely different from AUs, and there is no "one bridge to rule them all" that would even work with VSTs across DAWs. Also, VST isn't an "open" standard. It's entirely controlled by Steinberg.

A bridge is two components: a plugin host running under Rosetta2 and a "server" component running native that interfaces with the DAW. The two components pass data via shared memory, sockets, or TCP/IP. That's a lot of engineering work on its own. Apple has always provided an OS-mediated hosting system, where the AU framework does the hosting, and the plugin host interfaces with the framework. Their Rosetta2 bridge is just an extension of an interface that already existed. However, most DAWs load the VST binaries directly, which is not going to work on any DAW running native. The DAW needs to be re-architected according to the above scheme to bridge architectures. Further, not all AU hosts use Apple's OS framework. Ableton for example does not. It loads the AUs directly, so they won't be able to take advantage of Apple's bridge without some major re-engineering.

FYI – Bitwig already used a system similar to what I describe above for all VST hosting, so it was trivial for them to support Intel plugins when running native. All they really had to do was launch a plugin host process via Rosetta2, and it just worked. But no one else does that, so it requires more work.
Aren't their hiccups with x86 AU via Rosetta 2 bridge hosting in M1 at this point? I hear it's somewhat random to the end user which x86 AU plug ins will load. Reports from NI are that x86 Konakt and Massive X are running in native host via the bridge but Absynth for instance is not? At least this is the story I'm hearing and why I worded it the way I did about hosting...

Side note, I appreciate the work here, I don't plan on using many Rosetta 2 plug ins when I get an Apple Silicon mac in the coming months.

machinesworking wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:47 amSide note, I appreciate the work here, I don't plan on using many Rosetta 2 plug ins when I get an Apple Silicon mac in the coming months.
My plan is to make a clean break and use native plugins only.

pdxindy wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:37 am
machinesworking wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:47 amSide note, I appreciate the work here, I don't plan on using many Rosetta 2 plug ins when I get an Apple Silicon mac in the coming months.
VEP 7, and Amplitube 5 will probably be the only Rosetta plug ins here. VEP is cheating though.

Clean breaks are hard when you have a dozen large orchestral libraries you just started setting up templates for it's hard to make a totally clean break. I'm actually sort of surprised Vienna Instruments aren't already Apple Silicon native? It would be a great selling point.

machinesworking wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:16 am
pdxindy wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:37 am
VEP 7, and Amplitube 5 will probably be the only Rosetta plug ins here. VEP is cheating though.

Clean breaks are hard when you have a dozen large orchestral libraries you just started setting up templates for it's hard to make a totally clean break. I'm actually sort of surprised Vienna Instruments aren't already Apple Silicon native? It would be a great selling point.
Ahhh... yeah, I don't use any sample libraries

i'm nearly there. out of my daily drivers Oeksound and Microtonic are pretty much the only non-native plugs.
Others i either retired or replaced with native equivalents

Return to “Instruments”