Producing Music In Reverse - Cheating ?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's always best to have the song completely written before ever touching the record button, but these days it never happens that way. Whatever works.

so in reverse? like, having the bong/pipe/spliff, after youve finished? :?

If it works, it works, who cares how you got there? The end product is what’s important, and we should be utilising every technology available to us to get there.

The notion of writing the song before getting into the studio process is a dated mindset; more and more the lines between writing, production, and even mixing are blurred; just look at musicians like Four Tet, Bonobo, Flume. I’m sure that their music is a result between a mix of happy accidents in the studio which inform the writing of the track, which then spark new production ideas etc etc
multi-platinum music producer / songwriter
https://www.takaperry.com

vurt wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:13 pm so in reverse? like, having the bong/pipe/spliff, after youve finished? :?
no reverse would be exhale, keep your lungs empty until you're dying for a breath, inhale until lungs are full...light...my lifelong quest is to find just the weed that would leave me in that latter state :tu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fryGyqTJPU
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Kazoo Marzu wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:21 pm Don't know about EDM, but that's how you produce old school metal.
Natas liah lla!
You sure? I thought old school metal was produced by hoovering up a few lines of amphetamine then grabbing a badger by the tail and dragging it up and down the fretboard until it's as bald as the proverbial? :scared:

vurt wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:37 pm releasing a piece before you start it would be the ultimate goal 8)
Yes, I'm thinking about setting up a music streaming site and label whereby unknown musicians can just release an artist name and a title of their next smash. It will have all of the usual social media tie-ins so you can link it to the gram and your click-clock thingamajiggers.

My streaming costs should be relatively low so I'm guessing that I can do this on geocities to get things started.

Hink wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:39 pmAbsolutely the lowest I have been in decades, my appetite checked out without a forwarding address (no lie, sometimes takes two meals to eat one burger)...you will lose weight when you become older...hopefully a little at a time though,not the whole kit and kaboodle at once :scared:
Mine hasn't. Mind you, I've never been a big eater but I'm just as hungry at 62 as I was at 32. I pretty much never lose weight. Every decade or so it will jump up 5-10kg and that's where it stays. Even when I was travelling for work - I'd be home for a month, eating/drinking almost nothing, then away for a month, being dragged out for a three course dinner and 20 beers every night - my weight never fluctuated.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

antic604 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:50 aminstead of having a complete vision in your head - like a "real musician" would - and opening a DAW to just record it and elaborate on some details, someone else would start from a detail figuring out the rest around it. I know I work like that.
What makes you think a "real musician" works like that? A lot of bands, who could afford to, have written their albums in the studio since the 60s, precisely so they don't have to work that way. I remember being horrified at the waste of money that entails when I first realised that successful bands actually do that (which would have been some time in the late 80s).
But I also suspect - verging on certainty - that a lot of "real musicians" also get inspired by single sound, a riff, a pattern they heard, etc.
That's more like it! That's much closer to reality.
xbitz wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:15 amthere is subtractive music production too, https://www.edmprod.com/subtractive-music-production/
removing elements from the arrangement instead of adding them
That's pretty much how I work. When it's with my bandmate, he gives me his inspired idea and I go through and take out all the bits I don't think it needs and then work up an arrangement from there. With the covers I've been doing, it's the same. Most of them come with a stupid number of MIDI tracks, which I cull to just the ones that matter. I may end up adding something of my own but I always take out a lot more than I add in.
Melkor wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:33 pm Scenario A - you compose and arrange a song, and then fire up the DAW, and record it.
How do you manage that, given that you can only play one part at a time?
THE INTRANCER wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:22 pm Producing music in reverse is simply creating one main verse and subsequently working backwards in the composition, creating an intro-verse followed by an ending of the first verse in which it leads into and that and then the beginning of the track itself.
How else would you do it? You can't write an intro until you know what it is you are introducing. I/we always come up with a verse or a chorus first and then work outwards to create an arrangement.

Or maybe it means that Skids made Peaceful Times first, then reversed it to make Animation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF6EbJB1Zuw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce74HnEtPzo

And, yes, I reversed Peaceful Times to be certain it was Animation being played backwards. Not bad for a bunch of Scottish punks, eh?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Scenario A
You write the song, on an instrument, a guitar, a synth, a piano, a vocal motif, whatever.

You then fire up the DAW, and record it, essentially as you wrote it beforehand.

This is different from Scenario B, where you have no preconceived lines or stuff written beforehand. You start with a basic feel or vibe in mind, and then go nuts in the DAW until inspiration is found.

Scenario C is combination of both methods, which is the method I suspect most people use.

Hope that clears it up. :)
Prestissimo in Moto Perpetuo

8)

BONES wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:12 am
Hink wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:39 pmAbsolutely the lowest I have been in decades, my appetite checked out without a forwarding address (no lie, sometimes takes two meals to eat one burger)...you will lose weight when you become older...hopefully a little at a time though,not the whole kit and kaboodle at once :scared:
Mine hasn't. Mind you, I've never been a big eater but I'm just as hungry at 62 as I was at 32. I pretty much never lose weight. Every decade or so it will jump up 5-10kg and that's where it stays. Even when I was travelling for work - I'd be home for a month, eating/drinking almost nothing, then away for a month, being dragged out for a three course dinner and 20 beers every night - my weight never fluctuated.
I was thinking the same, I was wondering if it would skip me...it didn't. We all have different metabolisms, may never happen with you :shrug:

I actually thought that whole scene got wrapped up in my wife dying five years ago because in 2015 I was about 75lbs heavier than I am now. About 15-18 months ago a full blown life change came my way, not fun during Covid...absolutely no mistaking what it was. An absolute blessing is really what it was in the end though...and now food has gone up in price I'm actually a little ahead :tu:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

eating food in reverse, not a good idea

I spent most of the past three years producing in reverse. Starting with this amazing idea in my head, ending up with nothing. It's more generally known as "my family and my job have killed all of my spare time, creativity, and energy." :hihi:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Return to “Production Techniques”