RG-1 - Virtual Analog (up coming synth)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

e-crooner wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:42 pm That's what one gets for trying to be subtle... :?
At least I did reply instead of ignoring your thread (probably for the same reasons I mentioned).
You weren't subtle.

Sinisterbr wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:31 pm
e-crooner wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:42 pm That's what one gets for trying to be subtle... :?
At least I did reply instead of ignoring your thread (probably for the same reasons I mentioned).
You weren't subtle.
I disagree.

Be that as it may, the sounds a bit harsh in the video. What kind of synthesis is that?

Are you drawing waveforms or envelopes in that left-hand display?
There is some old Flowstone plugin where one could draw one's own waveforms.

e-crooner wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:00 pm
You weren't subtle.
I disagree.

Be that as it may, the sounds a bit harsh in the video. What kind of synthesis is that?

You don't have to agree or disagree with me, point is the OP was offended by your statement, and you didn't even apologize. Quite the opposite, YOU got upset because he didn't like what you said.
BTW, I agree with him. It was very disrespectful.
Think twice before saying anything next time.

Thumbs up!

Sinisterbr wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:55 pm
e-crooner wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:00 pm
You weren't subtle.
I disagree.

You don't have to agree or disagree with me, point is the OP was offended by your statement, and you didn't even apologize. Quite the opposite, YOU got upset because he didn't like what you said.
BTW, I agree with him. It was very disrespectful.
Think twice before saying anything next time.
Whether he was offended or not is his decision. My statements were perfectly fine and constructive. Why on earth would I apologize for telling the truth?!
No, I did not get upset at all. I merely found his reply very odd.
I would write exactly the same things again because they were correct judging from the screenshot he had added...

When is it available?

vulpes777 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:25 am Half-serious bit of advice: :D

Dear developers; before you release a piece of software to the public, please take a minute to research if the name (or a near-identical one) has already been taken by a potentially competing product.

At first I thought this thread was about an update to Rob Papen's RG; but then again, it would be neither "virtual analog" nor "upcoming"...
At first glance I also assumed it was a Rob Papen Synth based on its name.
Remembers me of an episode of "Better Call Saul"
Saul couldn't use his own name and initials, because it was already taken by another Law Firm. :)

Sinisterbr wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:30 pm Never heard about RG-1 or this thread, this is the first time. It sounds good!
I don't think you should give up, just look how Phuturetone's GR-8 achieved great appraise around here (but I agree with DJErmac, you need a fair number of good presets. And if you could find some time to improve the GUI, that would be cool as well. GUIs are often underestimated by developers)
Keep going!
I am developing this idea for so long, that i allready made countless UI schemes, the videos you seen only contain the frames of the synth, they are meant to be simple and tidy, because when you are building something based in several modules, you cant just make an UI and add stuff, you need to have a whole picture of what you want to stick in the interface.

So here's a shot of a build with a UI sketch that is still a work in progress

I also added a new video to the topic showcasing the arpeggiator working.

What interesting thing are the oscillators doing that made the synth take 5 years to make?

briefcasemanx wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:09 pm What interesting thing are the oscillators doing that made the synth take 5 years to make?
5 years ago, i wanted to create a dynamic oscillator, something that had the typical primite osc forms such as Squares, Sine, Saw and triangular but it also offered a way to modulate the shape of the wave either using a knob or simply an LFO, an automation.

These days you see a lot of developers releasing Wave table synthesizers, and they use wave tables mostly because they can transition between multiple points, creating an artificial "dynamic change" of the sound...

To put into perspective, try to see tha tas "frames", besically what wave tables do is... they are digital frames of a sound, that when cycled multiple times per second, they create an ilusion of dynamic, this can be pretty cool, but if the wave table are not super high quality, you can notice artifacts during the transition, as well as some "digitizing" specially in well rounded sounds.

Analog oscillators are different, in real world what makes hardware synths special is that electric voltage is continuously generating a signal, that signal is most of the time regular, but electric voltage when combining diferent wave forms get a much more perfect transition.

The oscillator i developed floats every shape from different cycles of frequency, and the best part is that between typical octave frequencies phase distortion apears, which leads you to create special harmonics you would only achieve with typical VA synths when combining multiple wave forms at same time.

Thats why you have the standard 3 oscillators in most subtractive V/A synths, because by combining them you achieve great variations of harmonics and then you can get interesting stuff with it...

If i wanted something like that, i would just grab a perfectly easy oscillator with 4 static wave forms, and play with a transpose to change their frequency...

But i like to inovate, so i created an oscillator with 4 cyling wave forms, that when combined at multiplesangles can achieve a level of harmonic complexity it would take countless typical static oscillators to reach.

and when you add phase distortion in the shape of feedback, and Frequency modulation...
then sudenly the possibilities get even more insane.

Now, i am not pretting to invent the wheel or Fire, i didnt...

But it would be pretty boring to me to just create another virtual analog Synthesizer if it was just like the other thousands you allready have avaliable.

But this is just me..

Cosmo Circle wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:02 pm ..
I don't fully understand.

I'm not sure what "The oscillator i developed floats every shape from different cycles of frequency" means.

What do you mean by "floats"?

briefcasemanx wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:25 pm

I'm not sure what "The oscillator i developed floats every shape from different cycles of frequency" means.

It floats...

tt can create a continous and soft phase distortion between 2 frequencies of the same wave type, creating very unique sounding harmonics between, increasing dramatically the range of sounds you can generate from a single oscillator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXekjJRHPNI

that sounds really nice!
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Cosmo Circle wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:50 pm

It floats...

tt can create a continous and soft phase distortion between 2 frequencies of the same wave type, creating very unique sounding harmonics between, increasing dramatically the range of sounds you can generate from a single oscillator.

I still don't know what you mean by "float", or anything you've written here. I'm guessing there's a language barrier.

I don't know what you mean by "phase distortion between 2 frequencies of the same wave type". Are you talking phase distortion synthesis and the two frequencies you're referencing are the carrier frequency and the phase modulator fequency?

briefcasemanx wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:55 pm
Cosmo Circle wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:50 pm

It floats...

I still don't know what you mean by "float", or anything you've written here. I'm guessing there's a language barrier.

I don't know what you mean by "phase distortion between 2 frequencies of the same wave type". Are you talking phase distortion synthesis and the two frequencies you're referencing are the carrier frequency and the phase modulator fequency?
"float" has something to do with DSP i believe
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Return to “Instruments”