Do I need an audio interface or a headphone amplifier?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey there!

About 8 months ago I started learning music production on my own and I decided to start buying some stuff to set up my home studio. At the moment I have a MIDI keyboard and a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-R70x headphones. The problem is that these headphones have an impedance of 470 ohms and unfortunately not every audio interface supports that level of power for them. I can't use studio monitors in my apartment as it's very small and there's always a lot of noise around so headphones are my only option right now.

However, the music that I'm interested in producing is electronic music and rap, which means that at the moment I use quite a lot of samples, synthesizers or sounds synthesized by myself. I don't need to record vocals or any acoustic instruments and if I need to I have access to a recording studio to record vocals. In this case, do I need an audio interface? Can I learn to mix using a headphone amplifier instead?

I was thinking of buying an RME Babyface Pro FS 24-channel audio interface but I don't think it's a good idea to have a 24-channel interface if I'm not going to record anything in my apartment. Also the guys at RME told me that the Babyface Pro FS is capable of handling the Audio-Technica ATH-R70x headphones but maybe not at full volume if I want to listen to them at full power. Instead they recommended their RME ADI-2 DAC FS 2-channel DA Converter headphone amplifier.

My options for a headphone amp are:

- RME ADI-2 DAC FS 2-channel DA Converter
- Little Labs Monotor 2-channel Headphone Amplifier
- Rupert Neve Designs RNHP 1-channel Precision Headphone Amplifier

My options for an audio interface were:

- Universal Audio Apollo Twin USB DUO
- RME Babyface Pro FS 24-channel USB Audio Interface
We're not scaremongering
This is really happening, happening...

I used to have a pair of AKG K240 DF with 600ohm resistance that I plugged directly into my Echo Audio Layla interface.
Your budget and choice determine what you will get.

That's a high resistance.perhaps you can get new headphones more cheaply?

Either rme or u audio would be good interfaces. If you don't want uaudio plug ins then rme would be a well supported solid choice.

Rme is low latency and though you say you don't need to record, having a good quality channel in will be useful. You never know.when you'll want to record.something.

If you're not going to be using hardware mic, synths, and/or effects, you may not need an interface. Most budget-to-intermediate wouldn't be able to play cans with that high of resistance very well. Your best bet in the near term is a good headphone amplifier with low noise and distortion. You can get a solid one for $200 - $500... but I'm not in that game so don't have any recs for you.

Or you can spend that money on a different set of cans that are more usable with more gear. 250ohms is a fair bit to drive with consumer gear. 80ohms should be pretty do-able across the board.

RME stuff is top notch, you won’t be disappointed. What do you mean by listening at full volume? I really wouldn’t be trying to get headphones as loud as possible as that’s an easy way to damage your hearing.

You most definitely do not need an audio interface. Just use the built in sound card and if you are on windows, get ASIO4ALL to get latency down to a minimum. Then just get a decent headphone amplifier to drive your headphones.

For instance this: Topping L30
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

You should't need anything more than a headphone amp or a basic mixer as they normally have enough poke to drive high impedance headphones.
I'm using a Xenyx 802 mixer which is less than £50 these days to run my 250 Ohm Beyer DT770 Pro's and normally have the volume below 11 o'clock for comfortable listening. That is taking the output from a RME Digiface headphone output, but I've heard other people have used the 802 successfully to run 600 Ohm headphones. It's not the most hi-fi solution out there, you can always throw thousands at DACs if you feel like it, but sounds fine to me.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”