Arturia's SQ80 V vs the free SQ80L

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Or whatever the free one is called. I have it and it's quite nice. Clearly, if money weren't an issue, the Arturia one would win hands down.

Has anyone compared on other grounds? As I said I have it, but I can't figure out the controls. Does anyone know of a tutorial or manual?

Thanks

Why don't you do? The Arturia has a demo. It even has a manual.

even then.. the demo doesn't allow you to import patches... so, he wouldn't really have a good idea of a comparison... but from the looks of it everyone is liking sq80 v so far despite some bugs. one of 'em is some of the patches aren't loaded correctly.

ghostwhistler wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:49 am Clearly, if money weren't an issue, the Arturia one would win hands down.
Why is that?

kidnay wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:20 am even then.. the demo doesn't allow you to import patches... so, he wouldn't really have a good idea of a comparison...
Then program the same patches on both synths? Where's the issue?

I rather think the OP wants opinions shmopinions. Once again.

chk071 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:34 am
kidnay wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:20 am even then.. the demo doesn't allow you to import patches... so, he wouldn't really have a good idea of a comparison...

Or proposopinions...

chk071 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:06 am Why don't you do? The Arturia has a demo. It even has a manual.
Because that manual isn't for the sq80l which has a very different interface.

AnX wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:32 am
ghostwhistler wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:49 am Clearly, if money weren't an issue, the Arturia one would win hands down.
Why is that?
I believe it has more features

Because I don't know how to program the sq80l, which is why I asked about a manual.

The free one is good for an old and free plugin. The Arturia one sounds better, looks better, has more options.

If the sq80 isn't that big a deal or if you have a very slow computer, just pick up the free one and I'm sure it'll be good enough.

ghostwhistler wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:09 am
Why is that?
When it comes to an emulation, it's the core sound that is the crucial part. Miss the mark on that, and everything else is, well, superfluous

AnX wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:24 am
ghostwhistler wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:09 am
Why is that?
When it comes to an emulation, it's the core sound that is the crucial part. Miss the mark on that, and everything else is, well, superfluous
well now, that kinda goes without saying! :D

ghostwhistler wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:10 am

Because I don't know how to program the sq80l, which is why I asked about a manual.
It's been, like, 10 years since I lasted used it, but, I don't remember it to be overly complicated. Juts take a look at the controls of SQ80 V, and then try to replicate it on the SQ8L.

As I mentioned, always asking for opinions will lead you nowhere. Apart from other opinions. And, you know what they say about opinions, right?

The free one is called SQ8L not SQ80L! There are lots of resources scattered over the net. Here is one: http://www.buchty.net/ensoniq/#sq8l
edit: you can find the hardware musician manual there. This is the direct link to it: http://www.buchty.net/ensoniq/files/manuals/SQ80.pdf

Both the free one and Arturia's one sound very nice. But I like the new one because it is with big interface and easier on the eyes. Anyway, I've just installed again the free one to be sure. It is a 32bit and works in Bitwig, so I gave it a go. Personally, I like the sound and it is on par with the SQ80 V. The interface is not that difficult at all. So, if you know how to program subtractive synths, you will know how to program the free one (or the new one). Anyway, there are many hidden tips in both synths you need to read and watch videos on YT to understand the ins and outs of it.

Anyway, if this is your first synth to learn, then I advise you to start with an easier one. If not, then maybe if you read the SQ80 V manual, you can apply it on the free one (if you don't want to buy the new one).

chk071 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:23 am And, you know what they say about opinions, right?
You can not even smoke them? :cry:

Return to “Instruments”