Arturia's SQ80 V vs the free SQ80L

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:23 am
ghostwhistler wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:10 am
chk071 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:34 am
kidnay wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:20 am even then.. the demo doesn't allow you to import patches... so, he wouldn't really have a good idea of a comparison...
Then program the same patches on both synths? Where's the issue?

I rather think the OP wants opinions shmopinions. Once again.
Because I don't know how to program the sq80l, which is why I asked about a manual.
It's been, like, 10 years since I lasted used it, but, I don't remember it to be overly complicated. Juts take a look at the controls of SQ80 V, and then try to replicate it on the SQ8L.

As I mentioned, always asking for opinions will lead you nowhere. Apart from other opinions. And, you know what they say about opinions, right?
Well sure, but i don't get the references on some of the parameters and twiddling the knobs isn't producing an audible cue I can work from. For instance I have no idea what 'emu' refers to, nor how it's envelope parameters work. Emulator I assume, but I don't know what that means.

ghostwhistler wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:49 amFor instance I have no idea what 'emu' refers to...

Thankfully not

You have 2 SQ80 plugins and you detune them.. than what?

Why would you detune them?

kidnay wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:20 am even then.. the demo doesn't allow you to import patches... so, he wouldn't really have a good idea of a comparison...

A good reason to seek others opinions on a public internet forum is for the variety of responses from people, possibly with much more, and different experience than ourselves. I love hearing other's "been there, done that" experience, even if it's very different from my experiences. Just demoing it yourself, does not get responses from other people who will have a completely different take, from a completely different usage.

wwjd wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:01 pm

A good reason to seek others opinions on a public internet forum is for the variety of responses from people, possibly with much more, and different experience than ourselves. I love hearing other's "been there, done that" experience, even if it's very different from my experiences. Just demoing it yourself, does not get responses from other people who will have a completely different take, from a completely different usage.
But it's you who are going to use it....

But you could find out more about it from others with deeper experience in production than, perhaps, what you might try with less experience.
Of course, demo it, but my point was the sharing of knowledge and experience is beneficial, thus, internet forum. :)

In a perfect world that might be true but these "This Versus That" threads often times are more likely to generate arguments than information.

"I like A better B sucks". "No B is better A sucks you're an idiot" and so on....perhaps that's a bit over exaggerated but you get the point.

"Help me program A" is reasonable but "Help me choose between A and B" is something better left to the individual than relying on the opinions of others. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:40 pm In a perfect world that might be true but these "This Versus That" threads often times are more likely to generate arguments than information.

"I like A better B sucks". "No B is better A sucks you're an idiot" and so on....perhaps that's a bit over exaggerated but you get the point.

"Help me program A" is reasonable but "Help me choose between A and B" is something better left to the individual than relying on the opinions of others. :shrug:
it doesn't have to be though.

you know the sq80, you could share some insights on either, without it being pointless, ie point out some strengths in both or if one doesn't cut the mustard as far as emulation, say so
don't worry about what others post, share knowledge, be the change you wish to see :tu:

i mean this sincerely too, i know we have our moments and you might think im just doing the usual, but i do honestly think you have knowledge worth sharing, especially regard this particular synth :)

I've only owned the SQ80V for a couple of days. The same period of time someone could have been trying the demo for themselves.

I'm still learning it's strengths and weaknesses myself. I might very well give incorrect information about it at this point.

There are ongoing extensive discussions in the SQ80V thread which could easily be followed as well. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Aren't humans a funny lot. Putting forward the opinion that people ought not solicit opinions is...:D

To the point, I think I'm going to pass on this for now, which is a shame as it's not going to be on sale for much longer I imagine. However I can't really afford it and, with Pigments, I'm not sure I really need it 0 and I don't much use Pigments tbh! Perhaps file under "if money were no object"...

OTOH if 70 people buy my album I can afford it and everyone gets great music, Win Win! :D

SQ8L is abandonware and 32 bit only, careful with that

ghostwhistler wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:50 pm Aren't humans a funny lot. Putting forward the opinion that people ought not solicit opinions is...:D

To the point, I think I'm going to pass on this for now, which is a shame as it's not going to be on sale for much longer I imagine. However I can't really afford it and, with Pigments, I'm not sure I really need it 0 and I don't much use Pigments tbh! Perhaps file under "if money were no object"...

OTOH if 70 people buy my album I can afford it and everyone gets great music, Win Win! :D
Pigments is more than enough to be a star if you are young, have a sexy body and know with whom you sleep. In no time really! Leave SQ80 V for the old and ugly of us.

just found I have 20 presets of the SQ80v in my analog lab thing, so I loaded up the SQ8L freeware and did some quick playing. this is not scientific AT ALL, very little leveling, and I know nothing about programming the SQ80. this is just presets, as is, no tweaking.
So, first I tried to find similar sounds on each: sq80v first, then the sq8l, bass, then EP thing.
That took far too long, so at 1:08 is just the sq80v 20 presets, and 2:40 is sq8l first presets. 8l has a lot of presets. They both sound fine, yet different, but kinda cover the same stuff (as they should). The free one would work for me if I needed these old sounds.

00:00 sq80v bass
00:14 sq8l similar bass
00:28 sq80v bell piano thing
00:48 sq8l similar piano thing
01:08 sq80v 20 presets
02:40 sq8l first 20 preset

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yjccgbixtdpst ... l.mp3?dl=0

Return to “Instruments”