Arturia's SQ80 V vs the free SQ80L

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ghostwhistler wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:47 pm I'd also like to hear the reasons you (or whomever it was) have that this is superior to Arturia's model
This was just posted in the other SQ80V thread:
T-CM11 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:52 pm Imo, SQ80V is worth having, if only because the interface is a lot better than that of SQ8L. I'd rather program the hardware synth than the plugin that mimics it (just talking about this synth).
ps. I don't remember seeing those transwaves (and modulation) in SQ8L...
There is already a lot of great information in that thread. You have the SQ8L and the SQ80V demo installed so the answers you seek are there if you're willing to put in a little work. :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:57 pm
wwjd wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:30 pm and not being a fan of obscure layouts - as they were new back in the day. :)
Even back in the day shortly after purchasing my ESQ-1 I bought Dr. T's ESQ-apade software editor/librarian for the ESQ on the Atari ST platform.

Even way back then using the hardware to program patches was not the best option. :hihi:
For sure! I felt like a friggin rocket scientist after mastering my ENSONIQ MIRAGE's two digit hexcode, calculator type programming. It "worked" as a decent, cheap solution at the time, but, my gosh, what a horrid way to interface

Another reason: the effects aren't just 'attached', they can be modulated by the synths LFOs, Envelopes, Vel, Aftertouch, mod mixer, etc.
I should have a look in the manual - I still don't know what the 2 effect busses are when chained in parallel.

But if you're a purist about the emulation aspect, Arturia's additions (like (also) the extra envelope types) are all optional - which is AFAIK also the case with their other plugins.
Last edited by T-CM11 on Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

T-CM11 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:16 pm Another reason: the effects aren't just 'attached', they can be modulated by the synths LFOs, Envelopes, Vel, Aftertouch, mod mixer, etc.
I should have a look in the manual - I still don't know what the 2 effect busses are when chained in parallel.
You also have more options for envelopes.

The SQ8L is very impressive for what it is, I sure couldn't program something like that, but I can't find a sync option in the LFO settings, for instance.

And i love the pitch shift delay on the V

ghostwhistler wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:35 pm The SQ8L is very impressive for what it is, I sure couldn't program something like that, but I can't find a sync option in the LFO settings, for instance.
See screenshot :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

T-CM11 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:37 pm
ghostwhistler wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:35 pm The SQ8L is very impressive for what it is, I sure couldn't program something like that, but I can't find a sync option in the LFO settings, for instance.
See screenshot :wink:
That's not the SQ8L, thats the Arturia SQ80 V :wink:
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:46 pm That's not the SQ8L, thats the Arturia SQ80 V :wink:
Mea culpa! Those 2 similar names got me confused. :dog:
No sync on SQ8L? I can always sync by ear (or a calculator), but it's a bit too hardcore simulation to me. :clown:

ghostwhistler wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:47 pm
EnGee wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:31 am The free one is called SQ8L not SQ80L! There are lots of resources scattered over the net. Here is one: http://www.buchty.net/ensoniq/#sq8l
edit: you can find the hardware musician manual there. This is the direct link to it: http://www.buchty.net/ensoniq/files/manuals/SQ80.pdf

Both the free one and Arturia's one sound very nice. But I like the new one because it is with big interface and easier on the eyes. Anyway, I've just installed again the free one to be sure. It is a 32bit and works in Bitwig, so I gave it a go. Personally, I like the sound and it is on par with the SQ80 V. The interface is not that difficult at all. So, if you know how to program subtractive synths, you will know how to program the free one (or the new one). Anyway, there are many hidden tips in both synths you need to read and watch videos on YT to understand the ins and outs of it.

Anyway, if this is your first synth to learn, then I advise you to start with an easier one. If not, then maybe if you read the SQ80 V manual, you can apply it on the free one (if you don't want to buy the new one).
It isn't and that's not the issue. As I said, it's the particular workflow of this synth. I understand how amplitude envelopes work, but this interface isn't intuitive andmerely increasing the release value doesn't correspond with an increase in the presumed outcome. Thanks anyway

I'd also like to hear the reasons you (or whomever it was) have that this is superior to Arturia's model
Man! You are lazy! I thought myself to be lazy but compared to you, I'm a hard worker :hihi:

Who said I prefer the SQ8L over SQ80 V?

ghostwhistler wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:03 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:52 am
ghostwhistler wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:01 am
wwjd wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:34 pm I can give you 99 reasons the free one is better. ;)

besides, 32bit plays just fine in 64bit in 2021. sounds great, tons of support for it. so its a crashy at times... :D
Can you give a few?

And perhaps point me to a manual/tutorial?
It's a 3 osc synth , each osc having it's own (modulatable ) dca if required
Global dca 4 is hardwired to envelope 4
Osc 2 can be synced to osc 1 , osc 1-2 can ringmod each other .
Envelopes are of the level ,time type , 4 envelopes , 4 lfo's , route as you desire
Envelopes have additional exp curves , mod matrix etc..4 pole ladder type filter
No rocket science , an easy synth that sounds stellar
Ok, so how you create an envelope - or indeed do any of those things? Many of the parameters in the plug in aren't clear nor explained. The interface is not remotely intuitive nor clear. There is no ADSR control apparent, for example

It's a little frustrating asking for help just to be told it's easy.
I was talking about the sq8l
Just click on an osc , some menu's have additional pages , just like the hardware .
Read up about level-time envelopes.
Try it , learn it like any other synth.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

at this point, the help is in the manual. I found the ADSR part pretty quickly

EnGee wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:17 pm Who said I prefer the SQ8L over SQ80 V?
No one. If you'd read what I posted you'll see that I qualified my request whomever made the claim if not you. What was that about laziness again? :D

People must be deaf if they do not hear that the free version sounds better sounds almost like hardware. Do not stare blindly at the appearance as well as effects on the sound save your money,

If you want software that sounds like the hardware synth, SQ8L is the most accurate.
But as a software synth without comparison with the hardware, the SQ80-V has more options, partly due to the fine FX section.
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Sound design for SQ8L and Alchemy

i have the sq80 v and I'm quite pleased with it.

I can't speak to the authenticity, but the sq80 is, on balance, better. That't not controversial however :D

I'm sure a clever person can do a reskin for SQ8L and maybe also figure out a way to expose some of the hidden controls.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Return to “Instruments”