Sq8l

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The problem is not the "only 32bit" but the small interface on my 4k monitor!

Anyway, thanks for sharing the presets :tu: I think SQ8L can import sysx files, right? I still have it installed and can access it inside Bitwig but maybe fxp/fxb are the better way :) Are they the same that Don solar shared in GS but in fxp?

You can of course load these .fxp files into SQ8L, make a bank, export it to an .syx file then import it into the new SQ80 plugin. So yes thanks for sharing..... :hihi:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

EnGee wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:39 pm The problem is not the "only 32bit" but the small interface on my 4k monitor!

Anyway, thanks for sharing the presets :tu: I think SQ8L can import sysx files, right? I still have it installed and can access it inside Bitwig but maybe fxp/fxb are the better way :) Are they the same that Don solar shared in GS but in fxp?
Yes, SQ8L can import (and export) SysEx files. The FXP/FXB files would be specific to the SQ8L (and might be a bit more convenient if you're only dealing with that plug-in), whereas any SysEx files you have could also be used with the Arturia SQ80 V -- and the original Ensoniq SQ-80, should one land in your lap.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Good idea Teksonik ;)
Thank you both, and of course for the original uploader Mr_meee :)

Mr_meee wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:45 pm I don't know if its a proper time for doing this but...
in my dropbox there is a file of aproximadly 1mb containing 2829 fxp patches for the SQ8L

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i8px5lau94pa1 ... s.zip?dl=0

NOTE:
This patches work only with the SQ8L not anything else, even if it has a similar name, even if it have a shining looking interface that is not like the original thing, neither makes sense because the logic of emulation its to emulate the experience, and that allready exists for free...

Because the SQ8L its literally like having 1000 Ensoniq SQ80 keyboards inside your computer tower, cranked between your GPU and motherboard without even making extra noise.

I say 1000 because, the other day out of lunacy, i just opened reaper with 1000 SQ8L tracks playing and recording at same time to see if i could set my CPU on its knees

(i failed, the cpu only took 70% for the 1000 tracks, imagine that...)

I guess having a keyboard running a motorolla 68k that runs assembly means, that if somehow some assembly DSP genius manages to emulate it properly than it means in powerfull computers 20 plus years latter, that thing will never crash or even put them to test...

But i have not lost hope, i am certain that if i download a certain emulation from a certain company, i will most likely manage to place my CPU on its knees with a couple of dozens of instances (they usually never disapoint me on that.)

This is not an anti-anything post, i am just sharing presets! :D
Are these your own patches?
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Mr_meee wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:45 pm I don't know if its a proper time for doing this but...
in my dropbox there is a file of aproximadly 1mb containing 2829 fxp patches for the SQ8L

NOTE:
This patches work only with the SQ8L not anything else, even if it has a similar name, even if it have a shining looking interface that is not like the original thing, neither makes sense because the logic of emulation its to emulate the experience, and that allready exists for free...

Because the SQ8L its literally like having 1000 Ensoniq SQ80 keyboards inside your computer tower, cranked between your GPU and motherboard without even making extra noise.

I say 1000 because, the other day out of lunacy, i just opened reaper with 1000 SQ8L tracks playing and recording at same time to see if i could set my CPU on its knees

I guess having a keyboard running a motorolla 68k that runs assembly means, that if somehow some assembly DSP genius manages to emulate it properly than it means in powerfull computers 20 plus years latter, that thing will never crash or even put them to test...

But i have not lost hope, i am certain that if i download a certain emulation from a certain company, i will most likely manage to place my CPU on its knees with a couple of dozens of instances (they usually never disapoint me on that.)

Yes, I do not know what SIGI has done with SQ8L, but it manages to be identical to the hardware synth, with all the little quirks, and then it uses approx zero cpu.
I have not yet heard a vst synth emulation that was as accurate as this one, and I unfortunately do not think that another emulation from a particular company will ever come so close, but I try to help them with it :)
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Sound design for SQ8L and Alchemy

v1o wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:13 am
Are these your own patches?
No, but i love to do repeative tasks...

olepro wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:56 am
Yes, I do not know what SIGI has done with SQ8L, but it manages to be identical to the hardware synth, with all the little quirks, and then it uses approx zero cpu.
I have not yet heard a vst synth emulation that was as accurate as this one, and I unfortunately do not think that another emulation from a particular company will ever come so close, but I try to help them with it :)
I suspect the SQ8L is actually the same software but being interpreted by an x86 platform...

Its a port, you have the exmple of cyclone, a plugin from sonic charge who essencially runs a typhoon operative system written for the mighty TX16W, another dinassour...

And both of this examples run in current time computers have no CPU minimum requirements...

they literally can run in unicorn farts... thats the magic of the assembly language.
huge respect for the people who developed this things, absolutely bananas what they did in the time they did, with the resources they had.

olepro wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:56 am

NOTE:

Thats pretty amazing. A lot of the people in the Arturia thread probably last played a real SQ-80/ESQ-1 over 20 years ago. And they're easily convinced because of a pretty GUI and improved workflow.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

olepro wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:56 am I unfortunately do not think that another emulation from a particular company will ever come so close, but I try to help them with it :)
What makes you think it will never come so close ? If it can be done once it can be done again. Don't let your affiliation with the SQ8L in the past turn into bias. :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

v1o wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:59 pm A lot of the people in the Arturia thread probably last played a real SQ-80/ESQ-1 over 20 years ago. And they're easily convinced because of a pretty GUI and improved workflow.
I last played my ESQ-1 a few years ago somewhere around 2016 when I sold it on.

Having both the SQ8L and SQ80V installed I can say they each have their positive and negative points.

Teksonik wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:41 pm
Having both the SQ8L and SQ80V installed I can say they each have their positive and negative points.
+1

I also feel this way even though I have never owned or played on Ensoniq synth! Just watched it in the early 90's from outside the shop! Poor me! :hihi:

I did some quick test between the two and they sound almost identical! Better than DX7 emulations when testing as everyone sounds noticeably different! However, there are some differences of course but I can't pick a "winner" here! I think the SQ80 V sounds little bit cleaner and personally I prefer the SQ80 V in general, but in some presets I liked the SQ8L more! So, I'm keeping both, but mostly for programming my own, I will use the new one because the interface is bigger and more comfortable to my eyes :)

EnGee wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:38 am
Teksonik wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:41 pm
+1

I also feel this way even though I have never owned or played on Ensoniq synth! Just watched it in the early 90's from outside the shop! Poor me! :hihi:

I did some quick test between the two and they sound almost identical! Better than DX7 emulations when testing as everyone sounds noticeably different! However, there are some differences of course but I can't pick a "winner" here! I think the SQ80 V sounds little bit cleaner and personally I prefer the SQ80 V in general, but in some presets I liked the SQ8L more! So, I'm keeping both, but mostly for programming my own, I will use the new one because the interface is bigger and more comfortable to my eyes :)
If this is about picking a winner between the too software versions of Ensoniq SQ80, many will likely choose Arturia.
If we are going to choose a winner in relation to emulation of the Ensoniq SQ80 hardware, there is nothing to discuss at the moment. SQ8L is so close it's a scary (I have the hardware synth)
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Sound design for SQ8L and Alchemy

Great to hear that, then I might consider SQ80 V as SQ 80 ii ;)

Anyway, both can't be like the original exactly, because the original hardware has analog filter, right?

If the Surge team takes over the SQ8L, it will blow out the Arturia because it will support MPE then... Same with Dexed and DX7 V... You might program with the Arturias, but then play the freeware after you ported the presets...

Return to “Instruments”