Sq8l

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Tj Shredder wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:05 am If the Surge team takes over the SQ8L, it will blow out the Arturia because it will support MPE then... Same with Dexed and DX7 V... You might program with the Arturias, but then play the freeware after you ported the presets...
The sq8l code is not open source , unless something has changed that I'm not aware off
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Not yet, but the Surge team is in contact with the developer who is thinking about open sourcing…

We actually are not in contact with mr. Kullmann at all. SQ8L appears to be abandonware at this point.

You may have confused us being in contact with Martin Lüdders (PG-8X). Which we were.

Tj Shredder wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:11 am Not yet, but the Surge team is in contact with the developer who is thinking about open sourcing…
AFAIK the dev of SQ8L won't talk to anyone about the plugin.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Tj Shredder wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:11 am Not yet, but the Surge team is in contact with the developer who is thinking about open sourcing…
What exactly is your problem with Arturia SQ80 V?
Fernando (FMR)

Probably the same as mine - definitely takes up too much CPU for what it's supposed to do. :)

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:01 pm Probably the same as mine - definitely takes up too much CPU for what it's supposed to do. :)
It's supposed to emulate an instrument that had analog parts (like the filter) as well as old components which are a very important part of its sound, and had to be emulated to get the same vibe. I don't think it doesn't take "too much CPU" considering that. IMO it sounds way better than the old SQ8L (which I didn't use much, anyway, because of the horrible GUI and workflow).
Fernando (FMR)

Sure, but I don't think they had to use Repro-5 levels of CPU for that filter (which is quite a bit better behaving than the one in Prophet-5, mind you). If TAL can make things sound equally good at much less CPU, there's no excuse for not optimizing things some :)

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:12 am We actually are not in contact with mr. Kullmann at all. SQ8L appears to be abandonware at this point.

You may have confused us being in contact with Martin Lüdders (PG-8X). Which we were.
You are correct, oh these 8s…

I'm not seeing too much CPU! Not low CPU but still less than 20% (mostly less than 10% especially the imported SysEx files). Of course compared to SQ8L it uses maybe 10 times the CPU :hihi: But still it is usable for me. Will wait for M1 native support first, then test it there. Oh, one thing is that the effects on the SQ80 V pushes the usage higher when used.

I don't care for MPE support as I don't have any device support it (nor I'm planning to own any!). So, for me, both SQ8L and SQ80 V are great synths that I'm intending to use a lot :)

fmr wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:07 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:01 pm Probably the same as mine - definitely takes up too much CPU for what it's supposed to do. :)
It's supposed to emulate an instrument that had analog parts (like the filter) as well as old components which are a very important part of its sound, and had to be emulated to get the same vibe. I don't think it doesn't take "too much CPU" considering that. IMO it sounds way better than the old SQ8L (which I didn't use much, anyway, because of the horrible GUI and workflow).
Have you compared SQ80-V to the hardware synth?
SQ8L is at the moment much closer to the hardware than SQ80-V
If it sounds better than the original, it's not a good emulation... at least not a correct one :)
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Sound design for SQ8L and Alchemy

The problem with the SQ8L will always be that it's abandoned and stuck on 32 bit. I got this yesterday:

SQ8L 092221.png
which according to google means "invalid pointer operation".

I don't know whether it's the fault of the plugin or the bit bridge (since the message is in German that leads me to believe it's the plugin) but I simply don't use 32 bit plugins in compositions any longer.

At this point the SQ8L is just a tool to use for importing .fxp and .syx files and exporting .syx files to use in the SQ80V since it does seem to have some issues with importing .syx files found in the wild.

The SQ8L may be a bit closer to the hardware now but it will be the SQ80V that will get use here. Yes it can use some CPU especially compared to the SQ8L but it's nothing my systems can't handle. But then the 80V can create sounds that the 8L simply can't.

Let's see how Arturia handles the issues that have been brought up so far since the release. Perhaps they'll address those issues and make the SQ8L fully redundant.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

olepro wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:28 pm
fmr wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:07 pm
Have you compared SQ80-V to the hardware synth?
SQ8L is at the moment much closer to the hardware than SQ80-V
If it sounds better than the original, it's not a good emulation... at least not a correct one :)
I don't have the hardware, but even when I had it, I am not one of those that seeks for 100% accuracy. Close is close enough for me. That said, I think Arturia usually seeks for the most exact emulations, and the factory presets, when compared, sound pretty much the same to me.

But if you have the hardware, feel free to post some comparisons. The factory presets are there, so, you just have to play some sustained and fast notes in the SQ-80 and in the SQ80 V, and record them. It will not dismiss the quality of SQ80 V but it's always interesting and entertaining.

Anyway, sounding better is hardly a bad think, at least in my dictionary :hihi:
Last edited by fmr on Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fernando (FMR)

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:11 pm Sure, but I don't think they had to use Repro-5 levels of CPU for that filter (which is quite a bit better behaving than the one in Prophet-5, mind you).
Prophet V (I think that's what you are talking about) is one of those that need to be updated, and most certainly will, at some time in the future (as well as the CS80). This is me thinking - I have NO CLUE if this is certain or not.
Fernando (FMR)

SQ80 V:

A 3 OSC, 4 unison patch, with quite a bit of modulation/envelopes/and LFOS, and all 4 effects used, playing 4 notes together is giving me about 5% or 6% CPU.

I don't think that's too bad at all. Diva is giving me about the same.

Return to “Instruments”