Sq8l

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRist
227 posts since 16 Apr, 2004

Post Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:26 am

olepro wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:28 am
fmr wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:07 am
EvilDragon wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:01 am
Probably the same as mine - definitely takes up too much CPU for what it's supposed to do. :)
It's supposed to emulate an instrument that had analog parts (like the filter) as well as old components which are a very important part of its sound, and had to be emulated to get the same vibe. I don't think it doesn't take "too much CPU" considering that. IMO it sounds way better than the old SQ8L (which I didn't use much, anyway, because of the horrible GUI and workflow).
Have you compared SQ80-V to the hardware synth?
SQ8L is at the moment much closer to the hardware than SQ80-V
If it sounds better than the original, it's not a good emulation... at least not a correct one :)
I have to agree here .
I have the hardware and have compared to the Arturia version. SQ8L is a better emulation there is no doubt about that. Kinda disappointed TBO since i was looking for a replacement to my old SQ80 and i use a Mac now so cant use SQ8L anymore.

User avatar
KVRAF
16439 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:43 am

sovietpop wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:26 am
I have to agree here .
I have the hardware and have compared to the Arturia version. SQ8L is a better emulation there is no doubt about that. Kinda disappointed TBO since i was looking for a replacement to my old SQ80 and i use a Mac now so cant use SQ8L anymore.
Since you still have the hardware you are in a unique position to help Arturia make the SQ80V a better emulation.

Help them understand what's different or missing so they can fix it in upcoming updates. One of their reps has posted in the SQ80V thread:
Edouard Arturia wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:43 pm
if users are reporting issues to our support team, the complaints will be referenced and this is def where our efforts will be focused in the next update !
I'd recommend to report issues you may have encountered to our support to make sure it will be fixed !
So they are willing to improve the synth. I sold my ESQ-1 a few years back and haven't worked with an SQ-80 in a long time so I'm only going on memory but those of you who still own the units can certainly help them resolve any issues...... :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

KVRAF
1652 posts since 19 Apr, 2003 from Copenhagen, Denmark

Post Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:47 am

And we (I) do :wink:
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Sound design for SQ8L and Alchemy

KVRist
227 posts since 16 Apr, 2004

Post Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:58 am

Teksonik wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:43 am
sovietpop wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:26 am
I have to agree here .
I have the hardware and have compared to the Arturia version. SQ8L is a better emulation there is no doubt about that. Kinda disappointed TBO since i was looking for a replacement to my old SQ80 and i use a Mac now so cant use SQ8L anymore.
Since you still have the hardware you are in a unique position to help Arturia make the SQ80V a better emulation.

Help them understand what's different or missing so they can fix it in upcoming updates. One of their reps has posted in the SQ80V thread:
Edouard Arturia wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:43 pm
if users are reporting issues to our support team, the complaints will be referenced and this is def where our efforts will be focused in the next update !
I'd recommend to report issues you may have encountered to our support to make sure it will be fixed !
So they are willing to improve the synth. I sold my ESQ-1 a few years back and haven't worked with an SQ-80 in a long time so I'm only going on memory but those of you who still own the units can certainly help them resolve any issues...... :wink:
Sure i'll try to do my best, i would really like to have a modern SQ80 emulation and i think Arturia makes great stuff nevertheless.

User avatar
KVRAF
16439 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:04 am

olepro wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:47 am
And we (I) do :wink:
Yes I know you've been working with Arturia and that's great. I still think they should make you a beta tester so you can have direct access to the people who write the code without having to go through support first.
sovietpop wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:58 am
Sure i'll try to do my best, i would really like to have a modern SQ80 emulation and i think Arturia makes great stuff nevertheless.
Fantastic. :tu: Obviously I'd love to have a spot on emulation of the SQ-80 as well. The SQ80V captures the spirit of the original and it takes me back to the 80's when those synths were very popular. It just needs to be tweaked so there is no difference at all between the sound of it and the SQ8L.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

User avatar
KVRAF
21944 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:09 am

Well there should be at least some difference between the sound of SQ80V and SQ8L, they could get the filter closer (they probably already managed to do that).

KVRer
6 posts since 27 Mar, 2007

Post Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:10 pm

Greetings,

Regarding SQ80L on Mac OS X it is possible to run the 32 bit vst in the NetVST Host. Here’s a video on how to do it https://youtu.be/EhyrXPPkFEE

I got it working on Mojave, a little tricky but it worked. I use Reaper and was able to play it live with my midi keyboard. It won’t work obviously on later editions of OS X that only support 64bit.

User avatar
KVRAF
16439 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:24 pm

EvilDragon wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:09 am
Well there should be at least some difference between the sound of SQ80V and SQ8L, they could get the filter closer (they probably already managed to do that).
Well there is a huge difference in the sound with all the extra waveforms in the SQ80V.

But on exactly the same patches I don't know if there necessarily "should" be a difference in sound but there is at least now. Whether Arturia can make the SQ8L redundant or not time will tell.

If Siegfried Kullmann could write the code I don't see any reason Arturia couldn't as well if they're properly motivated.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

KVRAF
30020 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:32 pm

Teksonik wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:43 am
sovietpop wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:26 am
I have to agree here .
I have the hardware and have compared to the Arturia version. SQ8L is a better emulation there is no doubt about that. Kinda disappointed TBO since i was looking for a replacement to my old SQ80 and i use a Mac now so cant use SQ8L anymore.
Since you still have the hardware you are in a unique position to help Arturia make the SQ80V a better emulation.

Help them understand what's different or missing so they can fix it in upcoming updates. One of their reps has posted in the SQ80V thread:
Edouard Arturia wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:43 pm
if users are reporting issues to our support team, the complaints will be referenced and this is def where our efforts will be focused in the next update !
I'd recommend to report issues you may have encountered to our support to make sure it will be fixed !
So they are willing to improve the synth.
Bit unrealistic. After all, their software engineers sat down with the real thing, and compared it with technical measures. At least I hope so, because, that would be the least they can do when doing an emulation. And now, a user should report his findings, and they change the software according to that? Nah... I don't really think that's the way it works.

Of course, I have no horse in this race, because I have no idea how close it is or not. Just saying that what you say won't happen.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

User avatar
KVRAF
16439 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:54 pm

You have absolutely no idea what won't happen. You're simply speculating just as I am but there is no technical reason why the SQ80V can't import .syx files to exactly the same standards as the SQ8L.

If those users who still own hardware units will work with Arturia and they're willing to work with users there's no practical reason why it can't happen. Sure Arturia sat down with a hardware unit but did they also think to compare with the SQ8L?

Maybe now they will. :wink:

So let's see what the future holds. Don't be a Debbie Downer.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
10546 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:24 am

Teksonik wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:54 pm
If those users who still own hardware units will work with Arturia and they're willing to work with users there's no practical reason why it can't happen. Sure Arturia sat down with a hardware unit but did they also think to compare with the SQ8L?
As I said, I don't use the SQ8L, but the SQ80 V is an emulation of the Ensoniq SQ-80, not the SQ8L.

Therefore, Arturia should make all efforts to make SQ80 V sound like the Ensoniq SQ-80. That, I agree. But that's it.

If people want to use the SQ8L they can use the SQ8L, but the SQ80 V doesn't have to be compatible with it, nor behave the same way - that's ridiculous.

What we have been discussing is alleged differences between the SQ80 V and the hardware it is supposed to emulate, not with SQ8L. As I don't own an Ensoniq SQ-80 I can't speak for myself, so I have to trust those that have one, for the moment.
Fernando (FMR)

KVRAF
1652 posts since 19 Apr, 2003 from Copenhagen, Denmark

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:01 am

fmr wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:24 am
Teksonik wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:54 pm
If those users who still own hardware units will work with Arturia and they're willing to work with users there's no practical reason why it can't happen. Sure Arturia sat down with a hardware unit but did they also think to compare with the SQ8L?
As I said, I don't use the SQ8L, but the SQ80 V is an emulation of the Ensoniq SQ-80, not the SQ8L.

Therefore, Arturia should make all efforts to make SQ80 V sound like the Ensoniq SQ-80. That, I agree. But that's it.

If people want to use the SQ8L they can use the SQ8L, but the SQ80 V doesn't have to be compatible with it, nor behave the same way - that's ridiculous.

What we have been discussing is alleged differences between the SQ80 V and the hardware it is supposed to emulate, not with SQ8L. As I don't own an Ensoniq SQ-80 I can't speak for myself, so I have to trust those that have one, for the moment.
If you did own a SQ-80 Ensoniq, you would know that SQ8L is still a good reference to use for getting SQ80-V a better emulation/clone of the hardware.
That good is SQ8L
The filter and analog output is not all to make the emulation.
All the modulators has to behave the same, envelope times, levels and I could go on...
And it's all these things SQ8L does correct
SQ80-V still has some issues there, and with sysex import also, IF you want it to be a perfect emulation of the hardware :)
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Sound design for SQ8L and Alchemy

User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
10546 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:15 am

olepro wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:01 am
The filter and analog output is not all to make the emulation.
All the modulators has to behave the same, envelope times, levels and I could go on...
And it's all these things SQ8L does correct
SQ80-V still has some issues there, and with sysex import also, IF you want it to be a perfect emulation of the hardware :)
OK, as I said, I agree that it must be perfected WHEN COMPARED WITH THE HARDWARE not with SQ8L, if there are noticeable differences.

If you are comparing SQ80 V with SQ8L don't expect to be taken seriously. It's the hardware you have to compare it to - no matter how high you place SQ8L, it isn't the one to reference here. You said you have an Ensoniq SQ-80. Start comparing with it, and report all things you find to Arturia. Forget SQ8L.

And there is a compromise that I, as a user, don't want to see crossed - the possibility to damage the sound of other parts (like, for example the envelopes) for the sake of 100% compatibility with the SQ80 ones. We have THREE KINDS of envelopes. I have to say that, in all the presets I already did, I rarely used the SQ80 ones. I used much more the other two. Regarding modulations, we have A LOT MORE than we had in the SQ80. If messing with the SQ80 ones will risk to modify those, it's better to leave things as they are.

A software instrument is a software instrument. Arturia follows a path where they don't simply emulate an existing instrument - they enrich it with new and updated features. Maybe to do that some compromises have to be made - I don't know. If that's the case, I will gladly abdicate of the extra 1% accuracy in favor of more and better features. As I said, I never used the SQ8L exactly because of it's "accuracy" which was taken so seriously as to emulate the stupid and completely archaic user interface.

To sum it up - NO, it's not SQ8L that has to be taken into account here, no matter how good YOU think it is. If you want to be taken seriously, you should stop talking about it, and start talking about the Ensoniq SQ-80 instead - which, BTW, I didn't heard you talking about, except to say you own one.

I also have a Roland Juno-60 (and other stuff too - I just mentioned the Juno-60 because it seems to be very popular these days), and I rarely pick it. I really don't care how good it sounds. I only use it for teaching purposes. To make music, I always use the software. And I don't care if it is 90% accurate, 95% accurate or 99% accurate. I program the sounds I want on the sofware, and use them - exactly as I did before with the hardware, without comparing anything with anything.
Fernando (FMR)

KVRAF
1652 posts since 19 Apr, 2003 from Copenhagen, Denmark

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:40 am

fmr wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:15 am

OK, as I said, I agree that it must be perfected WHEN COMPARED WITH THE HARDWARE not with SQ8L, if there are noticeable differences.

If you are comparing SQ80 V with SQ8L don't expect to be taken seriously. It's the hardware you have to compare it to - no matter how high you place SQ8L, it isn't the one to reference here. You said you have an Ensoniq SQ-80. Start comparing with it, and report all things you find to Arturia. Forget SQ8L.

I am certainly compare to the hardware, but as I have said before, the SQ8L is so close to the hardware synth that it can be used as a reference to make the SQ80-V a better emulation.
If you are not interested in having a perfect software version of the Ensoniq SQ-80, then that's fine with me, and that's also understandable since you have no particular relationship with the Hardware synth.
I know Ensoniq SQ-80 inside out and have had it for more than 25 years, so therefore I have other requirements for how good the software version of it should be.
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Sound design for SQ8L and Alchemy

KVRist
227 posts since 16 Apr, 2004

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:20 am

What olepro is trying to say is that SQ8L is a spot-on emulation and he is right. I do own the hardware (Sq80) and have used SQ8L before. SQ80-V is a great softsynth really but could need some work if you want an accurate emulation. Im still using the demo so i cant import sysex right now. I will need some time to report everything i can find. Im sure Arturia can improve it , its already a very nice soft synth imo.

Return to “Instruments”