Chopping a drum loop, jazzing things up?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What are some production techniques you use to make a chopped up loop your own? Obviously, the loop as is sounds…ur, right.

Edison X Slicex

/thread

The standard is:

1. Cut the loop into single slices (can be done with every DAW).
2. Assign the single slices to midi-notes of your sampler.
3. Edit the loop again in your midi-editor.

This way you have full control - and you can create a completely
new rhythm.
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Live does the auto cutting/chopping and assigning to MIDI keys from a sample loop in one go. I only found out about it recently (way behind the times I know...) but has been a revelation.

I use Kontakt for this, which slices sensibly and lets you edit the slices before dragging out a MIDI loop. It can be interesting to then play around with your DAW's quantisation and swing features... Or capture a groove from that MIDI and apply it to other sequences.

Loopmash in Cubase. I used to manually chop and dice and play, but no need nowadays.

Some of the slicer things (not sure about Live or Cubase, Slicex in FL does) will then let you reverse/pitch shift/timestretch/filter individual slices which can give a whole new feel.

Using a noise gate on a loop is always good fun - the lower you set the threshold the less gets through. You can do all sorts if you split the loop by frequency as well - gate the bottom end and phaser on the hi-hats/tambourine etc

Using the midi generated by the slicer is also a good option - layer up some of the notes with other drums for emphasis.

Loads of stuff you can do.

Simple enough edits I do it straight on the timeline and consolidate it if and when I'm happy with the arrangement. For more complex edits I'll use something like Q-Sampler and resequence the corresponding midi notes or even play the part in.

As the composition expands I'll generally isolate the kick, snare, hihat/cymbal note and put the parts on their own tracks

Return to “Production Techniques”