Physical Modeling Synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

stevebard wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:01 pm I tried the Plasmonic demo. I'm fully prepared to like it despite the dismal GUI but haven't really heard much to excite me in the presets but will explore further.
I second NI Kontour which is rather overlooked I think. I find its woodwind-y sounds really rich and fun to play, and offer expressive nuances with controllers.
I have some AAS soundpacks which I picked up free that show what good programmers can do with Chromaphone and String Studio. If only you could just remove the effects to make them more usable... I particularly like Journeys that came included in the Mixcraft DAW.
I tend to compare many physically modelled soft synths with my Korg Z1 (as I have done for 20 odd years). The Z1 attempted to model most categories of instrument- brass, woodwind, plucked and bowed strings, electric pianos, drums- acoustic piano was the major exception. I still really enjoy playing some of the patches, especially trumpet with my Yamaha wind controller.
The Chet Singer and Boscomac Reaktor ensembles (free of course, if you have Reaktor) have many excellent physically modelled synths. I like the Boscomac marimba, tank drum and Wurly.
I would buy the Sample and Audio Modelling stuff (I would looove to play their brass instruments with my Yamaha WX5) and Respiro but I can't justify the price to myself.
I'm impressed by the aliveness and variety of Kaivo- must give the demo more time. And of course Modelonia still has a lot to offer.
Sculpture remains a mythical beast. Maybe one day before I'm too ancient I'll treat myself to a Mac so I can taste the fabled Logic, Sculpture and Alchemy...
I also was not that excited from Plasmonic first and especially with the provided demo presets but it grow on me and you really have to create something on your own maybe to like it. I find it way more organic as Chromaphone f.e., even for things where Chromaphone normally shines like percussions, bells, mallets etc. Even like it more as Pianoteq for hybrid like keys. But that is just me.
The Audio Modelling stuff is great. If you have an iPad you could buy an app for 20 dollar from them or 90 for a bundle (included 5 instruments).
I tried to like Kaivo but and think its awesome but for some reason the sound engine never really excited me.

I liked the sound of plasmonic but man that GUI is ugly.

Physical modelling is definitely a hole in my collection as well. Hoping Z3 will have some physical modelling modules when it comes out since I'd rather have a synth/modelling hybrid for making crazy new tones than something purely based around recreating "real" instruments.

stevebard wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:01 pm If only you could just remove the effects to make them more usable
I agree. DS Thorn allows one to lock the effects off while scrolling through presets--other VSTs allow it as well. There are so many where I want the delay and reverb off at least, and it is a bit of clicking hassle to achieve it. So it goes with AAS. Their future does not look too keen.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Cinebient wrote 'The Audio Modelling stuff is great. If you have an iPad you could buy an app for 20 dollar from them or 90 for a bundle (included 5 instruments).'

That sounds an interesting route. I know that the Ipad doesn't support Logic Pro, but is there any interesting physical modelling tech (Sculpture-based?) in GarageBand?

Is anyone getting any joy from the new morphing capability in Pianoteq? Pianoteq is possibly my most used, most essential synth but I haven't found morphing to do much for me so far.

Don't forget Respiro (https://imoxplus.com/) for a very wide range in the realm of wind instruments.
It's excellent!

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

stevebard wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:57 am Cinebient wrote 'The Audio Modelling stuff is great. If you have an iPad you could buy an app for 20 dollar from them or 90 for a bundle (included 5 instruments).'

That sounds an interesting route. I know that the Ipad doesn't support Logic Pro, but is there any interesting physical modelling tech (Sculpture-based?) in GarageBand?

Is anyone getting any joy from the new morphing capability in Pianoteq? Pianoteq is possibly my most used, most essential synth but I haven't found morphing to do much for me so far.
Garage Band iOS is even more stripped down as the Mac version. While there are presets where all the synth engines working in the background you cannot edit it like you could in Logic. It is like mainly you get presets players with some macros to tweak.
There are also some other physical modelling tools for iOS like Laplace and some really unique ones (but also abandoned) like Finger Fiddle.
Drambo, a really fantastic modular, has also some really great physical modelling modules to offer (it can do morphing too if you want).
About Pianoteq 7. I just tried the demo since I am finally interested to buy it because of the morphing options now. But I am really underwhelmed from the morphing. It sounds not as good as I thought and maybe would never use it.
I like timbre morphing but Sculpture and now Plasmonic are far better here.
Maybe you really need to make custom presets which morphs better but I just tried to use some random presets/instruments and morph them. Its of course a nice feature but whatever I tried, it does not sound good for me.

stevebard wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:57 am Cinebient wrote 'The Audio Modelling stuff is great. If you have an iPad you could buy an app for 20 dollar from them or 90 for a bundle (included 5 instruments).'

I think there is a chance now that Macs are moving to Apple Silicon that Logic in some form will come to the iPad.

On iOS, Drambo can do some interesting physical modeling but modulation is quite limited.

For physical modeling, best stick with the Mac/PC platforms.

Image-Line's "SAKURA" and Reason Studio/PropellerHead's "FRIKTION"!!!!! <3

Yes Sakura is my baby can’t wait until FL gets MPE to make some further dopeness with Sakura!!!

Return to “Instruments”