Elx and a Make Noise Threesome (Indie-Pop?)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
User avatar
KVRAF
7273 posts since 18 Aug, 2007 from NYC

Post Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:59 am

*All comments, critiques, questions, and/or feedback welcome. I'm happy to return the listen and feedback.

Not sure what to call this, but it started off as a noisemaker that I intended to share back when I started messing with Strega, 0-Coast and 0-Ctrl.

The other modules used are QPAS and Mimeophon. There are a couple of throws using Oto Bam (but they're obscurely placed - but I know they exist). The rest of the reverb pushing is done with Breeze 2.

Just a bit of fun...

https://soundcloud.com/elxsound/fm-rem-0102
Last edited by elxsound on Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
addled muppet weed
83843 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:19 am

i enjoyed that, although, not what i was expecting given the make noise stuff, used to things being a bit more experimental, emphasis on the mental part, usually! :hihi:
nice restrained tones though, a different side to the modular 8)

(about bloody time btw :hihi: )

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

7273 posts since 18 Aug, 2007 from NYC

Post Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:36 am

vurt wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:19 am
i enjoyed that, although, not what i was expecting given the make noise stuff, used to things being a bit more experimental, emphasis on the mental part, usually! :hihi:
nice restrained tones though, a different side to the modular 8)

(about bloody time btw :hihi: )
The first run had bender and morphagene to complete some true chaos

This is definitely not that :hihi:

Well, for better or worse this is pushing a pop angle. This trio goes deep though!

User avatar
Urs
u-he
25945 posts since 8 Aug, 2002 from Berlin

Post Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:47 am

Very nice! Makes me want to give up my resistance against the non-Euro Make Noise trio...

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

7273 posts since 18 Aug, 2007 from NYC

Post Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:59 pm

Urs wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:47 am
Very nice! Makes me want to give up my resistance against the non-Euro Make Noise trio...
These are the gateway drugs for modular! Though, I’d like to think that Strega and 0-Ctrl can make their case in any setup (keeping in mind I’m still a noobie in the modular world).

My intention was to only stick with those three (before falling down this rabbit hole... *cough* pricey rabbit hole).

User avatar
KVRAF
4191 posts since 29 Sep, 2010 from Maui

Post Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:17 pm

Nice stuff J... I like it :tu:

Personally, I never had any resistance to the MN Trio, just on spending the money for them. :lol:

*I might shave a hairs worth of low end off of that if you want to account for listeners with crappy speakers like me. just sayin... Maybe even just in the reverb :shrug:

-Cheers

User avatar
addled muppet weed
83843 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:23 pm

Urs wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:47 am
Very nice! Makes me want to give up my resistance against the non-Euro Make Noise trio...
id not been interested in the first two, then strega came along :o
still havent grabbed one though :cry:
now they have new stock, but i dont have the cash :lol:
but soon!!!! well, soon-ish :hihi:

but then i saw a vid of the three together :cry:

User avatar
KVRAF
11498 posts since 7 May, 2006 from Southern California

Post Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:24 pm

Great sounds and a nicely chilled composition. Thanks for sharing!

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

7273 posts since 18 Aug, 2007 from NYC

Post Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:24 pm

pekbro wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:17 pm
Nice stuff J... I like it :tu:

Personally, I never had any resistance to the MN Trio, just on spending the money for them. :lol:

*I might shave a hairs worth of low end off of that if you want to account for listeners with crappy speakers like me. just sayin... Maybe even just in the reverb :shrug:

-Cheers
Do you know if that was just in the section where the subs kick in? I tried listening on different speakers, but basically, mine goes from monitors to crappy (mobile devices where the low end is cutout anyways). I had originally cut those subs out, but man... I love the bass. I just never got that naturally from software.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this track... I had intended to just make some cool noises and share, but stumbled into something I like (but don't know what it is at the same time).

I got some feedback today that will send me back to arrangement work and if I don't f**k it up, I'll have a different version in a while. I'll try to fix the bass in the mixing then.

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

7273 posts since 18 Aug, 2007 from NYC

Post Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:26 pm

justin3am wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:24 pm
Great sounds and a nicely chilled composition. Thanks for sharing!
And thank you for sharing! I don't regret these pick-ups at all. These noisemakers are inspiring.

KVRAF
2150 posts since 22 Jan, 2011 from near Los Angeles

Post Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:40 pm

elxsound,
Thank you for listening to my music! Now your recording: apparently your sound system and hearing are the polar opposite of mine. I used to be able to hear high frequencies that extremely few people could hear (like a dog), but I'm probably not like that any more, or not quite as much. I used to be able to hear ultra-sonic alarm systems, which was very unpleasant for me; which almost no one else could hear. I had to listen to your recording at a pretty low volume, because the high frequencies/noise were ear-piercing for me. Your recording had some interesting sounds and sets a mood. I think this would be good for a backing track for a TV show or movie or video; though wasn't loaded with a large amount of melodies for me. I still found it entertaining overall.
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

7273 posts since 18 Aug, 2007 from NYC

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:55 am

aaron aardvark wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:40 pm
elxsound,
Thank you for listening to my music! Now your recording: apparently your sound system and hearing are the polar opposite of mine. I used to be able to hear high frequencies that extremely few people could hear (like a dog), but I'm probably not like that any more, or not quite as much. I used to be able to hear ultra-sonic alarm systems, which was very unpleasant for me; which almost no one else could hear. I had to listen to your recording at a pretty low volume, because the high frequencies/noise were ear-piercing for me. Your recording had some interesting sounds and sets a mood. I think this would be good for a backing track for a TV show or movie or video; though wasn't loaded with a large amount of melodies for me. I still found it entertaining overall.
That’s interesting! I definitely don’t want harsh sounds in a final mix... was it a particular section or all the way throughout the track? I’m guessing it’s some of the Strega parts.

In the mix the highs are cut everywhere but the FM in the track title stands for Fake Master, because it truly is a fake master after an early mix. Some of the highs come back up then, especially on the (M/S) sides.

As mentioned earlier I’m going back to arranging on the track, but I’ll play it back for some of the mixing guys I know to see if they hear the same thing.

But for your own mix... do you use anything to A/B against other commercial music? I’m asking because you have some nice material but it’s just volume levels to suss out.

User avatar
KVRAF
4191 posts since 29 Sep, 2010 from Maui

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:33 pm

elxsound wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:24 pm
pekbro wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:17 pm
Nice stuff J... I like it :tu:

Personally, I never had any resistance to the MN Trio, just on spending the money for them. :lol:

*I might shave a hairs worth of low end off of that if you want to account for listeners with crappy speakers like me. just sayin... Maybe even just in the reverb :shrug:

-Cheers
Do you know if that was just in the section where the subs kick in? I tried listening on different speakers, but basically, mine goes from monitors to crappy (mobile devices where the low end is cutout anyways). I had originally cut those subs out, but man... I love the bass. I just never got that naturally from software.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this track... I had intended to just make some cool noises and share, but stumbled into something I like (but don't know what it is at the same time).

I got some feedback today that will send me back to arrangement work and if I don't f**k it up, I'll have a different version in a while. I'll try to fix the bass in the mixing then.
It's really super minor, just sounds a little boxy on my speakers. Anyway, I just hi-pass at 40-50 hz
or so and use the filter slope to adjust. For me that works (mostly). :shrug:

*btw: I like to use Klanghelm VUMT Deluxe for this a lot as there is a handy Dynamic EQ that
you can use to further tune the bass after the cut. Not to mention the mono maker, also handy
for bass. Of course the VU meter and everything else makes VUMT pretty excellent all around.

KVRAF
2150 posts since 22 Jan, 2011 from near Los Angeles

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:16 pm

elxsound,
Since you asked: the distorted reverb sound that happens through a lot of the song starts to get on my nerves quickly until I turn down the volume. I say mix it the way it sounds good to you, and hope others like it. And if some people don't like the mix, well it could be just a personal preference or how someone perceives sound, or your audio system, or a combination thereof. You're never going to please everyone, so I say mix it how you want it.
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

7273 posts since 18 Aug, 2007 from NYC

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:37 pm

aaron aardvark wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:16 pm
elxsound,
Since you asked: the distorted reverb sound that happens through a lot of the song starts to get on my nerves quickly until I turn down the volume. I say mix it the way it sounds good to you, and hope others like it. And if some people don't like the mix, well it could be just a personal preference or how someone perceives sound, or your audio system, or a combination thereof. You're never going to please everyone, so I say mix it how you want it.
No worries. I don’t usually post her but you don’t have to tread carefully in your feedback. There are always differences in styles and sounds but then there are also enough commonalities to give feedback even if we’re not a fan of the content. This is a long way of saying I’m not offended.

The sounds I believe you’re talking about are likely Strega. It’s an intentional sound but I can see how it could get on someone’s nerves.

In terms of mixing though, I try to keep levels in line with commercial recordings… keeping in mind this track is not mastered. It’s only a rough mix and a fake master using Ozone. I don’t want to just make a mix for me, so for a finished product (far from this) I will want a well balanced track.

Return to “Music Cafe”