Why Syntronik where there are VSTis?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well, c'est la question!

I mean, think about it: IK sampled synths with super-limited chips (unless they are fully analog, of course), so it feels ironic (though not strange) that the sound files are so large. For every synth in the Syntronik lineup, we're talking 2 gigabytes or more. At the same time, the newly released free version of JX8P apparently does a good job, and it's 2 MB or so.

What am I missing? Why not use software clones instead of the original synths? With so many to choose from, I bet one can get just about anything for low-cost or as freeware. I don't mean to rant, I just wonder why people would pay 60 bucks for a two-gig sample library instead of using a free synth clone. So what is it? Sound quality? Convenience? ??? Thanks!
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Windows 10 and too many plugins

>so it feels ironic that the sound files are so large.

what's ironic about sound files requiring hard drive space? It's like saying a vinyl pressing of an album is "ironic" because you can also get a shitty 128k mp3 of the same album, bro!

Syntronik combines synth, with troniks. Thus giving you a tronikal, not to be confused with comical, synth. You see?

why?....

maybe 'cos you have too much GB of space on yr storage drives n you like it nicely filled with thousands of sounds sounding so similar that you may not notice... anyway.

.... wondering how many hours were put into the makings....Arturia chose a smarter way
- employed less stuff but who are more physical modeling oriented. But hey... what
happened to the 1000s of GUI files.
....ohh...who knows... :lol:

I thought by now we'd see Modo electric...btw :o
MPG X670E CARBON Ryzen 9 7900, 64Gb 6K DDR5 4x2tb Nvmes

Its a mystery, at the moment I could get all of their Syntronik stuff for roughly 40 €, but I am still not convinced and let it pass most likely... And it is a company which is proud of their modelling chops... I guess they can only do impulse responses which is also sampling marketed as modelling...

... whoever waits till Christmas may get their flagship software bundle in one Box for really good price AND be able to resell in the future....
Check Mate...

At least we won't see every page here flooded with... IK for sale ..as all the freebies are NFR.
MPG X670E CARBON Ryzen 9 7900, 64Gb 6K DDR5 4x2tb Nvmes

I'm waiting for SynthChronic, the boxed, um hotboxed, edition.

Emus have not so many gb to download, which means that they cannot be as good. Would you trust a 7,5 mb emu over a 4,2 gb sampleplayer? :uhuhuh:
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

Thanks all for chiming in. I guess I didn't make myself crystal clear, so apologies for that.

So: IK Multimedia samples synths. Sampling in stereo, 24 bit etc etc takes up a lot of space, hence the two gigabytes (or thereabouts). I'm fine with that...

...at least if they had sampled an acoustic instrument, like a piano or a violin.

But these are SYNTHS, which have been modelled for years, as the combination of resistors, VCAs, VCFs and what have you are there for anyone to see. As I wrote, the free JX-8P clone (https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2015/0 ... -download/ , or https://sites.google.com/site/mlvst0/pg8x-2 for the direct link ) supposedly sounds really good. And since it's mimicking the inner workings of the original synths, it should be less static than a sample library. So why the hassle with huge sample libraries? As a comparison, the JX-8P clone is (apparently) 1.36 MB in size.

Note that this is meant as a legitimate question - I truly wonder. The people at IK are not stupid, and people like their Syntronik sound libraries. So what am I missing? The convenience factor?
Go MuLab!

zzz00m wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:02 am https://youtu.be/m9axdKQ1uo8?t=5
Thanks zzz00m for the vid. Quite inspiring actually! I still fail to see the point though, as they're sampling what can be modelled.

Another thing caught my attention: the names he uses, like "String box", are not the same as the individual instruments one buys at the IK site. Does this mean that the full version of Syntronik makes pleasing presets by combining the various synths? If so, what happens if I buy one of them in the group buy (and get the others for free)? I guess the whole concept puzzles me a bit. :lol:
Last edited by SparkySpark on Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go MuLab!

I've never used Syntronik or any of the other big romplers, but I would assume that sample playback is much less demanding on the CPU than an emulation. So if you have the space and you're fine with the presets, why not just use samples? Is it like a manner of pride or something? Like samples are for lame newbs?

Syntronik is not the only collection of sampled synths.
UVI and has a ton of them and Tracktion has their Retromod plugins.
https://www.uvi.net/vintage-vault-3
https://www.tracktion.com/products/retromod

I like emulations and some of the many sample libraries that are out there.
You don't have to only use one or the other.

Some people like the sound of the actual hardware within the samples, and others just prefer synthesis that emulates the hardware.
Last edited by Examigan on Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cthonophonic wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:26 pm I've never used Syntronik or any of the other big romplers, but I would assume that sample playback is much less demanding on the CPU than an emulation. So if you have the space and you're fine with the presets, why not just use samples? Is it like a manner of pride or something? Like samples are for lame newbs?
Hi, thanks, yes maybe it's less demanding (though I'm not sure that is the case here, as they use filters and stuff on the samples.

No, not a matter of pride at all, but perhaps about space (it'd be 50GB in total I reckon). Also I assume the actual synth clones are more flexible.
Go MuLab!

Examigan wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:28 pm Some people like the sound of the actual hardware within the samples, and others just prefer synthesis that emulates the hardware.
Ah, thanks! Interesting, so in a way it's down to whatever sounds the best. So there are in fact three options:
1. Get the clones, to get more flexibility and more variation to the sound, though perhaps not the best sound quality
2. Get the sampled synths, to get superior sound, though less varied
3. Get the original hardware ;)
Go MuLab!

Return to “Instruments”