What do you listen to your instruments on?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion

What do you listen to your VSTi instruments on?

Laptop speakers
3%
Blue Tooth speaker
No votes
Low end computer speakers
1%
Average computer speakers
4%
High fidelity computer speakers
1%
Professional Monitor computer speakers
3%
THX computer speakers
1%
5.1 computer speakers
2%
Headphones
29%
Earbuds
3%
Home stereo speaker system
3%
Surround Sound home theater type system
2%
Passive studio monitors
5%
Active studio monitors
34%
Recording studio, in wall, mixing monitors
0%
Amplified PA type speakers
1%
TV
0%
a potato
6%

Total votes: 217

RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:35 am Active nearfield monitors here (JBL LSR305).
Good choice, same as the ones I have here. :)

Monitors:
Focal Twin 6 Be with matching Subwoofer

Headphones:
AKG 712
Beyer 990 Pro

chk071 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:36 am
jamcat wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:13 am I also listen on BONES's JBL 104s.
Lemme guess: Your yacht lies next to his. :hihi:
I'm 30m down the marina.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

i monitor on Genelec Active Monitors with a matched Genelec Sub.

DJErmac wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:05 pm A pair of Event Opal and a potato when I just need to enjoy music as it needs to be enjoyed.
what is your opinion of the Opals? i really wanted some, but seems like they are no longer made?

wwjd wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:52 am
DJErmac wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:05 pm A pair of Event Opal and a potato when I just need to enjoy music as it needs to be enjoyed.
what is your opinion of the Opals? i really wanted some, but seems like they are no longer made?
Best possible choice ever. I’ve bought and sold a lot of monitoring systems before. My Opals simply never let me down. Everything sounds exactly as expected everywhere. And I think most mixes I can hear around sound unperfect on it. I’ve heard details on songs I had never noticed before. I’ve been able to tear apart VST synths that sounded similar to me before (on my previous Dynaudio BM6a mkII) : now it’s like night and day, some sound like sh!t and some sound pristine.
I think they’re still available for sale...

I also use a Beyerdynamic T1 when I can’t use my Opals. At usage it’s very similar. I really can trust it. But I always need to correct things on my Opals at last.

Just for information I’m signed with Sony BMG and like 25 independant labels.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

some cheap Logitech speakers with a sub bass. good enough for me really
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

I had a nice pair of potatoes, but they got fried...
Windows/Mac | Studio One, Live, Logic | Push 2, Maschine MKIII, Atom SQ | Presonus Quantum 2, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, | Fender, Godin, Taylor

when i work at home (more this past year-and-a half), i use the eve-audio sc203s, with the ts107 subwoofer. the monitors are amazing; small, clean. good imaging. they have usb-audio in, so, connected to my mac directly thru usb. i keep a potato in the sub's port; this helps keep the deep bass from 'escaping' into the room, and instead pumps it out thru the woofer itself. this is how science works.

Studio: KRK Rokit RP6 G2 + AKG K240 headphones, sometimes* when making sounds/patches
Other: Audioengine A5+

I'd like to replace the KRKs with a set of Adam A7Xs... someday, in the future. I might go for something else but it doesn't matter right now.

*I generally don't like wearing / listening through headphones.

I (we) live in an apartment: nobody left/right and the ceiling/floor is very soundproof (that, or my upper/lower neighbours are dead :hihi: ).

11 potato votes??? Recently a resident of Idaho, I thought that I was the only one who listened to studio instruments via a potato. :lol:

My potato has a wonderful analogue response curve. Virtually everything put into its circuits become a warm, transparent sound picture.

A potato is not an ideal monitor. The sound comes out HALF BAKED, sometimes CHEESY, or too BUTTERY. They tend to MASH the high end, and the low end is covered in DIRT. You got to keep an EYE on the levels because they FRY so easily. If this all sounds a PEELING to you, than this monitor is SWEET for you.

I always thought a potato was an input device rather than an output device. No wonder they gave me such poor quality results!
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

You can always switch potatoes from red to white and vice versa.

Return to “Instruments”