What do you listen to your instruments on?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion

What do you listen to your VSTi instruments on?

Laptop speakers
3%
Blue Tooth speaker
No votes
Low end computer speakers
1%
Average computer speakers
4%
High fidelity computer speakers
1%
Professional Monitor computer speakers
3%
THX computer speakers
1%
5.1 computer speakers
2%
Headphones
29%
Earbuds
3%
Home stereo speaker system
3%
Surround Sound home theater type system
2%
Passive studio monitors
5%
Active studio monitors
34%
Recording studio, in wall, mixing monitors
0%
Amplified PA type speakers
1%
TV
0%
a potato
6%

Total votes: 217

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Nothing beats the crusty sound of fried potatoes!

martinjuenke wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:50 pm You can always switch potatoes from red to white and vice versa.
all professional studios use the white ones

Adam a5x

I was seriously just curious what most people use to play and hear their VSTs. But, since we are getting specific, I use a logitech 5.1 thx system (not proud of it, but it sounds fantastic), and/or Yamaha HS8 also

wwjd wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:49 pm
martinjuenke wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:50 pm You can always switch potatoes from red to white and vice versa.
all professional studios use the white ones
Kind of a legend... I've worked in a lot of studios in Paris, and have seen them 0 times exactly (I have pics of every studio). Only in my sound school, to give us the "basics".
Yes, I know they can be found everywhere, but they're not THE monitors everybody needs to get as some think.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

I was talking about the NS10 of course.

DJErmac wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:57 pm I was talking about the NS10 of course.
hahaha yeah I was being facetious. :) I have a pair of 10s and never use them. they are okay.

Have you seen these?
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... o-monitors

kinda funny but cool

wwjd wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:47 am
DJErmac wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:57 pm I was talking about the NS10 of course.
hahaha yeah I was being facetious. :) I have a pair of 10s and never use them. they are okay.

Have you seen these?

kinda funny but cool
Sure, got it, but ”all the professional studios use the white ones” are kind of a trigger in the world of music production... :D :D :D :D :D

Yeah, they’ve been cloned to death. Just my opinion, but... time to move on... :shrug:
You said it yourself, you barely use them. They represent a generation for sure. People now have way better speakers and earphones than 40 years ago. Now we got other solutions that prove their efficacity. NS10 or Barefoot in my studio ? I do not hesitate for half a second... (please do not use the price argument, we’re talking professional usage here... some studios CHOOSE NS10...)

DJErmac wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:48 am
wwjd wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:47 am

Have you seen these?

kinda funny but cool
Sure, got it, but ”all the professional studios use the white ones” are kind of a trigger in the world of music production... :D :D :D :D :D

Yeah, they’ve been cloned to death. Just my opinion, but... time to move on... :shrug:
You said it yourself, you barely use them. They represent a generation for sure. People now have way better speakers and earphones than 40 years ago. Now we got other solutions that prove their efficacity. NS10 or Barefoot in my studio ? I do not hesitate for half a second... (please do not use the price argument, we’re talking professional usage here... some studios CHOOSE NS10...)
NS10s became worthless when digital kicked in. :D I figure any modern studio keeps those white woofers for nostalgic decoration or to use like Auratones. :D 10s had their moment in the lime light. Mine are still buried in some box :D

NS10 were never intented to be used as mains or even only pair of near fields…

Passing Bye wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:51 pm NS10 were never intented to be used as mains or even only pair of near fields…
True, but noobs tend to live with the illusion that it’s all you need to make the perfect mix because they’ve seen them in so many studios on the TV. Well... just no. :shrug:

Dynaudio BM5a's

8020D's +/- 7050C.

wwjd wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:43 pmPeople now have way better speakers and earphones than 40 years ago.
The NS-10s were never considered good speakers, they were just speakers that absolutely everyone knew and could, therefore, do good work with. They proved that you don't need the best, most expensive studio monitors, you just need to understand the monitors you are using. The one and only reason I would spend more money on monitors is to get something louder. In all other respects my sub-$200 JBLs are perfectly fine, as were the even cheaper Eris 3.5s they replaced, because I know them really well.
Now we got other solutions that prove their efficacity. NS10 or Barefoot in my studio ? I do not hesitate for half a second... (please do not use the price argument, we’re talking professional usage here... some studios CHOOSE NS10...)
What do you mean by "professional usage". If you mean that you think of yourself as a professional , then it's irrelevant. If you mean in the setting of a commercial studio, where different producers and engineers will be working, people who are unfamiliar with the set-up, then that is where the NS-10s make perfect sense. That's how they became so ubiquitous.
NS10s became worthless when digital kicked in.
No, they didn't. Not by a long chalk. If you set yours up again, then Bob Clearmountain or John Fryer or Flood could come into your studio and start mixing straight away, confident they'd get a good sound. That's what NS-10s were all about.
wwjd wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:46 pm for the interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_NS-10#History
Did you read this bit?
It became a legend that Clearmountain had chosen it because it was the worst speaker he could find.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Instruments”