Are there standard-ish MIDI CC assignments for XY controllers

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Making something with an XY blend control for four layers, and wondering if there's a standard or at least common MIDI CC assignment for those.

Korg NanoPAD seems to be CC8 for X and CC12 for Y from what a quick search tells me. Are those also common assignments on keyboards with joysticks etc, or is there some other set of numbers it would be better to follow, to save users the trouble of reassigning their CC numbers?

CC8 is "balance", i.e, controls the left and right balance. Usually used in stereo/panning. (I guess it makes sense for X)
CC12 is labeled as "Effect Controller 1". A bit vague but I guess it's used generally for effect parameters.

If Korg didn't find any thing more appropriate than those, I doubt any one else will.
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

On second thought. Check what Rob Papen is doing. He has XY controls all over his synths.
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

8 seems an odd choice, considering 12 is explicitly paired with 13 in standard CC assignments.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

DSmolken wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:23 am Making something with an XY blend control for four layers, and wondering if there's a standard or at least common MIDI CC assignment for those.

Korg NanoPAD seems to be CC8 for X and CC12 for Y from what a quick search tells me. Are those also common assignments on keyboards with joysticks etc, or is there some other set of numbers it would be better to follow, to save users the trouble of reassigning their CC numbers?
Both Korg Wavestation's joystick and Z1's XY pad use CC#16 (X-axis) and CC#17 (Y-axis).

Ooh, thanks, I'll switch the defaults to those.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”