I have some questions about PhotoSoudner

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have to ask some questions about this program:--->"PhotoSoudner" so that I why I am posting this message to you.

PhotoSounder can reverse the spectrogram that is host via the domain of time (audio reversal), frequency (frequency inversion) and amplitude (amplitude inversion), but one of the
very interesting things that I found it could do is rotate the spectrogram via 90 degrees via the z-axis (frequency become time and time becomes frequency).

Now, I need to know if you can rotate the spectrogram that it hosts via the y-axis (time becomes amplitude and amplitude becomes time), and the x-axis (frequency becomes amplitude and amplitude becomes frequency).

Are these operations available on PhotoSounder?

Also, please can you please tell me what programming language that PhotoSoudner was created in as I need to learn the Wolfram Mathmatica programming language.

Does anyone care to share their thoughts on this subject?

Please advise,

Your friend,

Mr. Sarn Ricard Ursell.

ursellsarn wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:36 am Are these operations available on PhotoSounder?
Sorry, no idea. I don't own PhotoSounder.

The first operation is flipping or swapping the traditional X (time) and Y (frequency) axis. A capable image editor could do that.

But amplitude is encoded in the pixel colour. Is that really an axis? Because if not, then you cannot flip & rotate. I'm not too sure.

There is a dedicated PhotoSounder subforum here at KVR (never looked at it)
viewforum.php?f=155
You can repost the question there if you like, or a kind moderator could move this one.

And I can hail the author:
A_SN wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:49 am Photosounder
Disclaimer: his last activity here was 5 months ago.

Then you asked:
Also, please can you please tell me what programming language that PhotoSoudner was created in as I need to learn the Wolfram Mathmatica programming language.
:?: I fail to see the correlation between the first and second part of the sentence.

The core of PhotoSounder is spectral processing with Fourier transformation. This can be done in any programming language afaik.
Sometimes the GUI gives away clues about the used technology. And portability can be a clue.

If I had to place a bet, I'd say it's done in C++. Just because it's a jack of all trades language with virtually no limits other than imagination & capability of the programmer.

I can contradict myself by stating any language can be emulated by any other language if they are Turing Complete, and given enough memory and time to perform the task.

Why / how is this relevant to the learning of Wolfram Mathematica?
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:08 am But amplitude is encoded in the pixel colour. Is that really an axis? Because if not, then you cannot flip & rotate. I'm not too sure.
Thought about this again and have to conclude in general this cannot be done. Example in text only due to my limited resources.

Code: Select all

Frequency = 1000 Hz

Time  Amplitude
----  ----
0.0   1.0
0.1   1.0
0.2   1.0
0.3   0.0
0.4   0.0
0.5   0.0
0.6   1.0
0.7   1.0
0.8   1.0
0.9   0.0
1.0   0.0
I know what that sounds like. Do you? It is a quite common mondane and basic sound.

Now flip them axis:

Code: Select all

Frequency = 1000 Hz

Time  Amplitude
----  --------
0.0   0.3, 0.4, 0.5, 0.9, 1.0
0.1   n/a
0.2   n/a
0.3   n/a
0.4   n/a
0.5   n/a
0.6   n/a
0.7   n/a
0.8   n/a
0.9   n/a
1.0   0.0, 0.1, 0.2, 0.6, 0.7, 0.8
Do you see the problem?
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Yes, I see and understand.

I thought that Mathematica was a very high level language, which was very versatile, so I thought that i would mention it.

Regards,

Mr. Sarn Richard Ursell.

I have a further question for you, and it is best that I illustrate this with a couple of examples.

Supposes that I were to have one pixel, or "grain" of sound, and it had certain parameters...

I might have a grain of sound as represented graphically by a pixel on a spectrogram, -right?

It may have the arbitrary parameters of:

6KHz, 12dB and 15 seconds temporal position.

I can call this FAT (an acronym for frequency, amplitude and time).

...Actually, there are six transformations that I can do to this pixel (6 permutations 3-P-3), and the first is pretty trivial and boring.

These being:

Case 1:

FAT--->FAT

Case 2:

FAT--->FTA

Case 3:

FAT--->AFT

Case 4:

FAT--->TAF

Case 5:

FAT--->TFA

Case 6:

FAT--->ATF

In the example of Case 3 (above) for example, -it can be seen that frequency and amplitude have been "interchanged" or "swapped".

So, this newly transformed pixel would then become...:

12KH, 6dB and 15 seconds temporal position.

:o).

It is quite easy to see now that all these other four transformations involve is "interchanging/swapping" the parametric values for frequency, amplitude and temporal position for this humble, solitary pixel.

If this can be done to one pixel then surely it can be done for the:

WHOLE SPECTROGRAM, for each-and-every pixel?

What exactly would you call these transformations, and have the been done before?

I went to bed after your last informative E-Mail and I slept well, and dreamed this up in my mind in the early hours of the morning...

Any ideas?

Your comments are most welcome,

Kind regards,

Mr. Sarn Richard Ursell.

Return to “Sound Design”