Do you find yourself re arranging your track as you mix?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You thought you'd finished arranging the song!

Perhaps (like me) you find that once you start EQing you realise there's just too many things happening at once at 3 minutes and 5 seconds, for example?

Little tweaks n edits. Maybe remove a chunk that drags
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

Its good to take pauses between these processes anyway, and a pause listening to that track to forget it. When you get back to it with clear mind and ears, you'll notice things needed to be done much easier and have a better "visio" of it because you took time to step back and let it rest. At least this is how things go usually for me.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

All the time. I don't make any artificial distinction between writing and mixing - all gets done bit by bit as I go along. Trick is, as previous, to then leave things a week or so when it's done then go back and listen again with fresh ears to tweak stuff.

Until the end of the project I am tinkering details here and there, a lot of it is automation, volume and fx. I'm more on the edm side so lot's of the mixing is actually arrangment and vice versa.

Yes and it’s usually not for the better.
Thinking of bouncing down pre-mix so i dont start f**king with things out of boredom

Ploki wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:16 pm Thinking of bouncing down pre-mix so i dont start f**king with things out of boredom
Yeah. I usually make mixes as I'm writing so I don't "over-develop" and lose the original idea. Sometimes the early mixes turn out to the best ones. ;)

Ploki wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:16 pm Yes and it’s usually not for the better.
Thinking of bouncing down pre-mix so i dont start f**king with things out of boredom
I get to a point and make group stems. Partly to spare cpu, partly because it's gotten to adding whatever extra bits & not looking back
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

Absolutely. My method is total and utter madness. But when it all comes together, the results are very satisfying, which isn't often (see my newly created thread about my mixing/gain-staging woes lol).

I don't make distinctions between any of these processes. As I said recently in another thread, mixing starts the moment I add a second channel to a project but I'll add arranging to that as well. So both mixing and arranging start at that point but neither of them finish until the whole thing is ready to have a line ruled under it. Even then, we'll often re-organise them to play live - shorter intros, different endings. We also put a lot of effort into shortening them so we can play more songs in our allotted time. We aim for 4 minutes per song, even though they average around 6 minutes on an album.

Because lyrics are very often the last thing to get done, I almost always have to re-jig the arrangement to fit the vocals in, so while I am working on it, it will normally be with a generic arrangement. Even when you start mastering, we sometimes have to go back and turn something down a bit or up a bit so it's really not finished until we send it off to the label for manufacture/distribution.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

whada-you sayin'?

Njein = No & yes

Through the use of an ancient Akuntsu ayahuasca ritual, I invoke a state of shamanic trance in which I can taste the proto-musical quanta in both their mixed and de-mixed states. As the multiverse becomes unburdened by the construct of time, the trappings of equalization and compression and modulation, nay, of sound itself, become irrelevant as frequency ceases to exist. As the collective ur-mind of biological life evaporates into æther, the golden Truth illuminates all, that everything is nothing, and nothing is this plugin, which I put it on the 2-bus when working.

Sometimes I re-arrange while mixing, but more often I find myself mixing while writing/arranging, especially if I hit a speed bump where I'm not quite sure what to to next with the composition. It's not necessarily intentional, but as I try to get an incomplete arrangement to sound somewhat "complete", I sometimes start to hear what's missing, new ideas, etc.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:36 pm Sometimes I re-arrange while mixing, but more often I find myself mixing while writing/arranging, especially if I hit a speed bump where I'm not quite sure what to to next with the composition. It's not necessarily intentional, but as I try to get an incomplete arrangement to sound somewhat "complete", I sometimes start to hear what's missing, new ideas, etc.
Any excuse to re-engage the harem.

Return to “Production Techniques”