Actually it has, cause of iOS AUv3 support on Apple silicone

KVRAF
1795 posts since 28 Sep, 2012

Post Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:50 am

machinesworking wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:44 pm
antic604 wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:52 am
Standard = supported by all platforms. VSTs run on Win, Linux and MacOS. AUs only on the latter. They've 4 or 5 devs. They should allocate their time to much more important stuff, at least for now.
You could have said the exact same thing about touch screen support, which not all Windows users use, probably nearly no Linux people do, but there you go, Bitwig developed it. That cannot be said about AU support, most people on Mac OS will use them if available. I've never complained about it until this constant whinge from people like you about anything that might be Mac OS specific. :roll:
Yeah, the anti-Apple thing is so boring and predictable.

KVRist
333 posts since 26 Mar, 2014

Post Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:32 am

lsooxlla8 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:47 am
lokanchung wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:51 am
AU has nothing to do with silicon lol
iOS AUv3 is supported on intel as well as M1.
Win 10, Mac Mini M1, Bitwig 4.0.1, too many plugins, Novation Circuit Mono Station and now a lovely Waldorf Blofeld.

KVRist
285 posts since 19 Oct, 2019

Post Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:09 pm

lsooxlla8 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:47 am
lokanchung wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:51 am
AU has nothing to do with silicon lol
iOS is a platform, AU is an API. Does even Bitwig run on iOS? Also not all AU plugins run on iOS. Platform support is up to plugin vendors.

KVRist
234 posts since 21 Nov, 2011 from France

Post Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:22 am

Maybe it has already been said, but one of the reasons why we may see either Bitwig on iOS or support for AUv3 or both, is that many apps that were initially designed on iOS are now universal, meaning they run on M1 Macs. Drambo comes to mind, but many other pieces of software do so too. There is no reason why the opposite should not be true, if we wait a bit more. So it seems sensible that support for Bitwig on iPad may come one day, and that Bitwig supports AUv3. The latter is likely easier to implement.

KVRian
771 posts since 17 Oct, 2018

Post Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:28 am

One other reason is that M1 Macs have a built in AU host that Bitwig could potentially take advantage of (like most apps with AU support that are on M1). Ableton, Logic, and Studio One are using that AU host to support non-native AU on their M1 versions. Bitwig could/should be taking advantage of those resources already provided by the OS.
Studio One 5.2 // Bitwig 3.3.4 // Logic Pro X 10.6 // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // MPC // Force // Maschine

KVRAF
32939 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:59 am

apoclypse wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:28 am
One other reason is that M1 Macs have a built in AU host that Bitwig could potentially take advantage of (like most apps with AU support that are on M1). Ableton, Logic, and Studio One are using that AU host to support non-native AU on their M1 versions. Bitwig could/should be taking advantage of those resources already provided by the OS.
Interesting - just since M1?

KVRAF
10674 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:17 am

perpetual3 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:50 am
I'm not anti-Apple. I'm pro features that everyone can take advantage of. Based on polls I made here & elsewhere only about quarter of Bitwig users run it on macOS. Bitwig only has few devs and - IMO - at least during the v4.x days they should focus on DAW features & devices, as it probably took a lot of time to have v4 Apple Silicon compatible.
Stuff for sale @ Knobcloud: 1 year of Reason+, iZotope Music Prod. Suite 3, Cubase Pro 11

Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

KVRian
771 posts since 17 Oct, 2018

Post Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:18 am

aMUSEd wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:59 am
apoclypse wrote:
As far as I'm aware, yes.
Studio One 5.2 // Bitwig 3.3.4 // Logic Pro X 10.6 // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // MPC // Force // Maschine

KVRAF
3857 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Post Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:26 am

antic604 wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:17 am
perpetual3 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:50 am
I'm not anti-Apple. I'm pro features that everyone can take advantage of. Based on polls I made here & elsewhere only about quarter of Bitwig users run it on macOS. Bitwig only has few devs and - IMO - at least during the v4.x days they should focus on DAW features & devices, as it probably took a lot of time to have v4 Apple Silicon compatible.
Every conclusion you make here is an assumption. In 2006 a developer for Ableton told me that the market share for them Mac vs Windows was 50/50. This hasn't gotten worse over the years, rather the opposite. Bitwig may be more PC centric, but I seriously doubt it's that big of a margin difference. It's more likely KVR is Windows centric, considering the atmosphere here for years about macs.

They split development for OS specific coding between three of them that are experts in their OS, so subsequently it's not the disruption people make it out to be for them to support M1.

Again, nobody whinged and cried like a jerk when Bitwig developed multi touch support for Windows. You didn't get people complaining about it being OS specific. On the other hand, native M1 support is something they need to do, yet here you are acting like an ass about them developing it. The entitlement is mind blowing.

KVRAF

Post Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:18 am

apoclypse wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:18 am
aMUSEd wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:59 am
apoclypse wrote:
As far as I'm aware, yes.
I don't know if currently there's anything specific to Apple Silicon Macs in terms of the AU spec and Mac OS, but Big Sur and Monterey added a ton of AU3 and iOS support. Some of the benefits should show up in x86 systems as well. Now I'm curious as to the specifics of this.

I was really excited about the prospects of AU vs VST back when it came out, and it really hasn't lived up to it's potential, beyond making it easy for U-He to get started. AU has better audio out routing than VST2 but hosts and plug in developers don't bother supporting MIDI out from virtual instruments or plug in sequencers most of the time. So it's good to see it moving forward again.

KVRAF

Post Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:56 am

machinesworking wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:26 am
Every conclusion you make here is an assumption. In 2006 a developer for Ableton told me that the market share for them Mac vs Windows was 50/50. This hasn't gotten worse over the years, rather the opposite. Bitwig may be more PC centric, but I seriously doubt it's that big of a margin difference. It's more likely KVR is Windows centric, considering the atmosphere here for years about macs.
It's 50% Win, 25% Linux and 25% macOS (on KvR it's even closer to 30% Linux and 20% macOS).
Stuff for sale @ Knobcloud: 1 year of Reason+, iZotope Music Prod. Suite 3, Cubase Pro 11

Music tech enthusiast

KVRAF

Post Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:00 am

machinesworking wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:26 am
Again, nobody whinged and cried like a jerk when Bitwig developed multi touch support for Windows. You didn't get people complaining about it being OS specific. On the other hand, native M1 support is something they need to do, yet here you are acting like an ass about them developing it. The entitlement is mind blowing.
I'm not saying they shouldn't have done it. I'm saying that for now they should stop Apple-centric development (this thread is about AU not M1, right??) and get on with DAW features and devices for everyone. They can go back to AU for v5.

I'm not sure how you're not seeing your own entitlement asking for a feature that will only benefit 20-25% of the user base, when the list of missing general-purpose features could fill several pages :dog:

Music tech enthusiast

KVRAF

Post Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:42 am

antic604 wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:56 am
It's 50% Win, 25% Linux and 25% macOS (on KvR it's even closer to 30% Linux and 20% macOS).
BS, no nice way to put it, there's not a chance that 25% of Bitwigs sales are from Linux. You're literally pulling numbers out of your ass.

Again at 50/50 there's no way that Ableton's split is worse than it was when Apple was still on PPC chips, and there's no way that Bitwig is that much more Windows centric with it's sales. KVR and online forums are not solid indicators.

KVRAF

Post Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:00 pm

machinesworking wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:42 am
BS, no nice way to put it, there's not a chance that 25% of Bitwigs sales are from Linux. You're literally pulling numbers out of your ass.

Again at 50/50 there's no way that Ableton's split is worse than it was when Apple was still on PPC chips, and there's no way that Bitwig is that much more Windows centric with it's sales. KVR and online forums are not solid indicators.
viewtopic.php?f=259&t=517567

I ran the same poll on FB (don't have account there anymore - look it up if you do) and there it was - as I already said - slightly more favourable to macOS, but still around 20% Bitwig.

Sure, it's just internet polls, but far from b/s :)

Music tech enthusiast

Return to “Bitwig”