Studio Power Supplies

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys, just looking for some possible options here and wondering what people are using to power their hardware. I've currently got five hardware synths, MIDI controllers, Maschine mk3, studio monitors/sub, Drawmer MC2.1 monitor controller, and Focusrite OctoPre. Most of these are racked (except the MIDI controllers/Maschine), and I'm using a couple of Furman rackmount power conditioners, one on each side of my studio space (i.e., left and right of my computer). I won't bore you with the details, but I'm thinking about getting rid of one of the racks to save space on one side, but I'd need a power supply (with surge protection) that doesn't require a rack. However, I don't want a simple power strip sitting on top of my desk and there's no easily accessible place to put it under the desk. I'm an obsessive neat freak, btw, so anything that doesn't conceal the power cables is an absolute no-go, which probably leaves me SOL, but I'm sure I'm not the first person in my situation. :help: :hihi:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

I'd say put a small rack behind your desk and mount the rack power conditioners there and use cable management stuff to hide the cables.
You could also look into power conditioners which are designed for home theater. They will be more expensive than rack conditioners in a lot of cases but they will probably look nicer.

I use a 1U Furman power conditioner which has a bunch of outlets on the back and an on/off button on the front. Then I get a bunch of 1-3ft power cables on Amazon and use those instead of the 6-10ft ones that come with my devices.

I use 3 interconnected powerstrips; they work fine for me. I press the switch on the main one to turn on all devices in the studio.
I looked up "rackmount power conditioners" and found a bunch for sale on thomann.de. For some reason, all pictures show US outlets. I assume they're more used in rural US regions? Unreliable power distribution?

I just noticed that there were replies, doh! :dog:
justin3am wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:22 pm I'd say put a small rack behind your desk and mount the rack power conditioners there and use cable management stuff to hide the cables.
You could also look into power conditioners which are designed for home theater. They will be more expensive than rack conditioners in a lot of cases but they will probably look nicer.
My desk is against the wall and there's really no room back there for mounting the power conditioners, but that would be ideal. I do like the idea of the home theater power conditioners. It's got me thinking that a couple of those next to each other could double as monitor stands, since I'd like to get my monitors up a couple of inches anyway... :tu:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”