Headphones for music production

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello i recently started producing edm music with fl studio and i decided to buy headphones. I searched for headphones but the only headphones everyone recommends are the beyerdynamic dt 770. I don't have that much money so can you suggest me a pair of headphones for 80$ or should i give some more money to purchase something better?

Sony MDR 7506.

If you are going to buy Sonys make sure theyre from an authorized dealer as theres plenty of fakes on the market…I have a pair 😁

I have the 770s, the 250ohm version so you have to make sure you have a headphone amp or interface otherwise look at the 80ohm version, which Ive heard arent quite so good??

I have a few pairs of budget cans, tascam, presonus, marantz and probably my faves AKG K420s..super comfy, great for tracking as theres not too much leaking and very budget friendly

I would say there Beyerdynamic DT 770 has no competition in EDM-like genres. Make sure to stick with 80ohm version.

Superlux headphones have a crazy price-quality ratio.

The price is so low, you can afford the risk of a mistake, but the audio quality is just superb.

Make sure you select the model you need: half-open or closed cans depending on your environment.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

AKG K240 can be had for cheap... maybe $60-$70

Plenty good enough to start with and very comfortable even after long hours of use.

BertKoor wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:35 pm Superlux headphones have a crazy price-quality ratio.

The price is so low, you can afford the risk of a mistake, but the audio quality is just superb.

Make sure you select the model you need: half-open or closed cans depending on your environment.
Very true.
If I wanted to spend £300+ on headphone's I could. But, I have 2 pairs of Superlux, HD681 & HD681 F.
Fantastic sound quality and pretty flat freq resp. Not the most comfortable cans but they are tough and last. For the price they are a complete bargain.
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

I recently bought a pair of AKG K275s for only £39 from Amazon. Good sounding, well built, close backed & comfortable.

I'm still in my Sennheiser HD 25-C MK II for 7 years now, recently replaced earmuffs in them.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Superlux and look into Realphones.

I can't speak for the DT770s, but I have the much more expensive DT880 Pros and love them. That said,...
pdxindy wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:37 pm AKG K240 can be had for cheap... maybe $60-$70

Plenty good enough to start with and very comfortable even after long hours of use.
Big +1 to this. In the $80 price range, the K240s are an excellent value and, yeah, very comfortable and light weight for long periods of use. I use my K701s and DT880s for serious mixing, and keep the K240s at my synths for long periods of jamming, sound design, etc., and for another source of checking mixes. But, I'd also consider the K240s good for mixing and they are by far the most comfortable cans that I own. :phones:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

I researched this issue comprehensively, about 2-3 months ago, for 3-4 days straight before making a decision. I eventually arrived at the AKG K271 MKII headphones. These are without a doubt, among the best you can get on a budget. By no means are they the best, but I would HIGHLY recommend them. They are incredibly comfortable, pretty flat response, and all around good quality and diverse.

A lot of people had pretty negative things to say about much of the budget headphones on the market, and one guy I happened across even gave a full technical breakdown (paragraph after paragraph after paragraph) about the various shortcomings and idiosyncrasies with almost every budget headphone on the market (he allegedly tried them all). All in all, my decision was pretty well-rounded, and I would definitely recommend the AKG K271 MKII.

Let us know what you finally bought!

LCD X for the overall soundstage presentation and I-sine 10 for micro detail.
Check out some of my latest mixes and remixes:https://soundcloud.com/thinkmusic007

cryophonik wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:00 pm
pdxindy wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:37 pm AKG K240 can be had for cheap... maybe $60-$70

Big +1 to this. In the $80 price range, the K240s are an excellent value and, yeah, very comfortable and light weight for long periods of use.
That'd be my shout for around the $80 mark too. Was my first 'proper' headphones, and was a definite step up from my previous plastic-y hifi 'turn the bass and treble to 11' tye 'phones.

Skyfall72 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:11 pm LCD X for the overall soundstage presentation and I-sine 10 for micro detail.
Which are both clearly in the $80 range. ;)
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”