The correct settings for monitor speakers that aren't flat response...

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all, firstly, please forgive me if I've placed this query into the wrong area of the forum. I'm all new and bushy-tailed... :ud:

This is essentially a query about mixing down beats on budget monitor speakers, and having a proper reflection of the sound, to avoid amateurish mistakes, or an inadequate mix. Hope that makes sense.

Basically, I can't afford proper, flat response monitor speakers (no need to sugar coat, I is poor!). Instead, I have some rather budget VONYX Monitors Speakers. Now, these things come with a volume knob, a bass knob, and a treble knob. The volume knob is free flowing throughout, while the bass and treble both 'snap' into place at the their respective halfway points. I currently have all three at the halfway point (volume as close as possible to halfway) since to me, this equates to -- somewhat -- flat??

My query boils down to this, I want to know what the best placements/settings for all three knobs are, to get as close to 'flat response' as possible, or at least something akin to capable monitor speakers.

Apologies in advance for poor use of terminology, and please don't get hung up on semantics, and try to understand what I'm saying. I'm not someone who is technical in any way shape or form. Yet I am highly obsessive about potential mistakes, inadequacies and so on and so forth.

I look forward to your replies and hope to become a regular member of this forum from hereon, as it looks pretty cool, and comprehensive.

Mem

Do you have an audio interface and/or headphones?

And I forgot to mention that I use the Scarlett Focusrite audio interface 2i2 3rd gen. Which is my preferred master output of the volume, obviously! Thanks
Last edited by Memsterrr on Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:38 pm Do you have an audio interface and/or headphones?
Yes on both fronts, buddy.

If you have decent headphones you could set up your monitors to sound similar. You won't get a flat response from computer speakers, but they can be a good reference to compare with your headphone mix. I would probably set the EQs to zero (as you suggested) and the volume to maximum, using your interface to control the overall volume output.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:48 pm If you have decent headphones you could set up your monitors to sound similar. You won't get a flat response from computer speakers, but they can be a good reference to compare with your headphone mix. I would probably set the EQs to zero (as you suggested) and the volume to maximum, using your interface to control the overall volume output.
Duly noted! My one issue is that if I set the bass and treble all the way down, everything sounds a bit lifeless? I feel that having them at halfway instead, is a bit more accurate, is it not?

half way is 0.
they do plus and minus, as you can cut or add frequency's to 0 :)

Visit the below thread and scroll down to the 10-Minute Room Test. Although the article is about treating the space, room acoustics and monitor frequency response go hand in hand. The chart the test produces gives you a clue as to what sort of EQ settings you might need to make to balance your monitors and room. Consider though that you can't ever really make up for bad acoustics or poor monitoring and any adjustments you make are likely to mask as many problems as they fix.

The volume control is just that, volume. Won't change the tone. The bass and treble are probably left in the middle unless you know there is an issue. The chart you create might highlight that but those two controls are probably a bit too basic for really fine adjustment.

Listen to tracks you know and know how they sound on lots of different systems. If they sound boomy turn the bass down. A bit. If they sound too bright, the treble. Weak, turn the bass up. A bit. Dull the treble. But always do it based on music you know and that has been professionally mixed and mastered. eg you bought it.

My best advice is to tune the monitors so that music you like sounds good on them and listen to a lot of professionally produced music on them. Listen to really diverse styles and get so used to them that your brain starts to make the adjustments for you. The best monitors are the ones you know.

I agree with the replies above - keep your computer speakers set to flat, volume at max, and use the Focusrite to control output. I think the best bet in your situation is to listen to a lot of commercial/reference mixes on your speakers so that you get used to knowing what a professional mix should sound like, then try to make your mixes sound the same. Use headphones as your secondary monitors (or vice-versa, depending on how good your headphones are for mixing).
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

vurt wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:10 pm half way is 0.
they do plus and minus, as you can cut or add frequency's to 0 :)
I did say I was technically useless! :hihi:

These are some really great replies guys, really appreciate the help! I have all my knobs on my speaker on zero as you all mentioned now (so halfway) except volume which is set to maximum -- then controlling overall volume with AI. All in all, I'm happy. Next, I will slowly try to reference different, professionally mixed songs, as mentioned by Proper Lo-Fi. Just so I can get as close to ideal as possible.

Thanks again people!

I feel that we're at a good baseline right now, without muddying the waters, but if anyone else wants to add anything, by all means keep the posts coming.

Actually so far you received brilliant thorough advice, especially from Proper Lo-Fi. Can't think of anything to add. Once the knobs are set to your satisfaction you can leave them alone.

Oh, just one thing... I guess he referred to this 10-minute room test:
https://mixedbymarcmozart.com/2014/09/2 ... es-how-to/
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Stick to one setting on speakers and get to know how professional and good mixed/mastered music sounds on them, if you are producing music, stick to settings that gets you most engaged in music, making music on lifeless flat speakers isn't really something I would prefer personally either.

I would recommend getting headphones as second reference source, Superlux HD 681 + Realphones combo is something that can really give you plenty of bang for your buck and plenty of reference sources that will enhance your mixes.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”