Installing new version and uninstalling old versions

Official support for: bitwig.com
KVRist
58 posts since 4 Oct, 2009

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:02 am

Hi All,

Up untill now every time there has been an update, I have installed it into the default directory which is a folder named as per the new version number.

I noticed that each version has it's own folder structure, so does that mean that if there is important stuff that's saved relating to the old version then it will have to be tranferred between versions or resaved? e.g things such as Library and Resources etc ?

Once the new version is installed can I just uninstall all of the older versions without worry of loosing information / files / configurations etc ?

Do you always uninstall the old version before installing the new one or do you leave all the old versions on your machine ?

Many Thanks
Windows 10
Ryzen 7 2700X
ASRock X470 Taichi
32GB Corsair DDR4
EVGA RTX2070
Presonus Firestudio Mobile I/F
KRK VXT6 Monitors

KVRAF
10698 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:09 am

Xenon20 wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:02 am
Hi All,

Up untill now every time there has been an update, I have installed it into the default directory which is a folder named as per the new version number.

I noticed that each version has it's own folder structure, so does that mean that if there is important stuff that's saved relating to the old version then it will have to be tranferred between versions or resaved? e.g things such as Library and Resources etc ?

Once the new version is installed can I just uninstall all of the older versions without worry of loosing information / files / configurations etc ?

Do you always uninstall the old version before installing the new one or do you leave all the old versions on your machine ?

Many Thanks
Yes, you're safe to uninstall (not delete!) old version. All important data (sounds, presets, settings, templates, projects, etc.) are in different folders and are shared between versions.
Stuff for sale @ Knobcloud: 1 year of Reason+, iZotope Music Prod. Suite 3, Cubase Pro 11

Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

KVRist

Topic Starter

58 posts since 4 Oct, 2009

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:46 pm

Thank you for confirming :tu:

Do you know if the manual lists important directories where things are stored within BW's file structure, or is there a guide available ?

Thanks,
Windows 10
Ryzen 7 2700X
ASRock X470 Taichi
32GB Corsair DDR4
EVGA RTX2070
Presonus Firestudio Mobile I/F
KRK VXT6 Monitors

KVRist
258 posts since 11 Jan, 2013

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:35 pm

Xenon20 wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:02 am
Since they made it possible to have multiple versions installed (starting about a year ago I think) I never uninstall the old version before installing the new one. I can then test the new version and revert back to the old if for some reason there are issues - either with the version its self or compatibility issues with 3rd-party plugins, or with my existing projects.

KVRAF
10698 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:23 pm

Xenon20 wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:46 pm
Do you know if the manual lists important directories where things are stored within BW's file structure, or is there a guide available?
It's typically:
- C:/Program Files/Bitwig
- C:/Users/[you]/Documents/Bitwig
- the folders indicated in Settings (for user library, sound content - you can change them there)
- there's some shared folders created in C:/Users/[you]/App Data/Local/Bitwig

I think that's it. Compared to some other DAWs Bitwig doesn't seem to spam the disc a lot :)
Stuff for sale @ Knobcloud: 1 year of Reason+, iZotope Music Prod. Suite 3, Cubase Pro 11

Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Bitwig”