Instruments with sidechain as modulation source?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What instruments allow for a sidechain signal as modulation source for any parameter of the synth?

kind of:

PA Knifonium
Korg MS20

"kind of" because i have logic which is in re sidechain maybe different/special
for example: ms20 works via "AU MIDI-controlled effects"
(knif has the sidechain by itself)

and both knif and ms20 only modulate those parameters that are patchable/switchable
so probably not "any"

Tranzistow.
Best
YY

Amazing that (almost) no synth supports this. It would be so nice if, e.g., the filter of a pad could be automatically opened or closed depending on what's going on in another track. I think the application scenarios are endless and go way beyond the usual volume ducking in sidechain compression.

Logic’s own Sculpture has that so you can use any audio as string exciter and its pretty cool.

Bazille has audio rate modulation… time to bug urs again.

But yeah even envelope followers would be cool.

Its non trivial as the VST3 spec. basically(and Im simplifying here) says you are either a VSTi plug-in - so you can have midi in and generated audio out and thats it, or you are VST3 effect and you take MIDI and audio in and push audio out.

Actually you can usually make an effect generate audio - but its (usually) pretty trivial - however the opposite - making a synth thats NOT a VSTi is -well- problematic in all sorts of ways...
VST/AU Developer for Hire

With Bitwig you can basically do that with any value of any synth or fx.
Last edited by gondii on Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A lot of Logic stock synths offer side-chain modulation, mostly envelope following amplitude though.
Alchemy, ES1, ES2, Sampler, Sculpture, Ultrabeat, the Vocoder synth (without it it couldn't do its thing) and the Mellotron thing, but I can't see a way to utilise it as a modulation source, so it seems a bit redundant.

Some others I have which offer side-chain modulation:
- FB 3100, ModulAir
- Physical Audio's Derailer (at least, the expired beta I have has a side-chain, which makes me think it _might_ be usable as a resonator for external audio. Someone with the official release might be able to confirm)
- the powerful modular things including Reaktor and Plogue Bidule
- Rob Papens Albino does so I expect his newer synths do as well
- TAL Sampler and _possibly_ TAL modular thing

+1 for Bitwig from me. It's amazing for that kind of stuff.

Also, if you load MPowerSynth or MSoundFactory inside MXXX you can do it. But that's a bit of a convoluted setup.

Lind0n wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:31 am Its non trivial as the VST3 spec. basically(and Im simplifying here) says you are either a VSTi plug-in - so you can have midi in and generated audio out and thats it, or you are VST3 effect and you take MIDI and audio in and push audio out.

Actually you can usually make an effect generate audio - but its (usually) pretty trivial - however the opposite - making a synth thats NOT a VSTi is -well- problematic in all sorts of ways...
Is this really true? This reads differently - it even mentions explicitly the use of a sidechain signal in a vst3 instrument for modulation purposes.

Thanks for the bitwig pointer. I have to have a look at this.

Krotos Concept 2 do this

Fette Töle wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:30 pm
Lind0n wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:31 am Its non trivial as the VST3 spec. basically(and Im simplifying here) says you are either a VSTi plug-in - so you can have midi in and generated audio out and thats it, or you are VST3 effect and you take MIDI and audio in and push audio out.

Is this really true? This reads differently - it even mentions explicitly the use of a sidechain signal in a vst3 instrument for modulation purposes.
Perhaps you are right - however none of the developers I know can get this to work properly - but thats the VST3 spec. for you.

example (Cubase related):
https://forum.juce.com/t/issues-with-si ... e/38134/20
VST/AU Developer for Hire

Cherry Audio CA2600 and VM seem to have it… (And as I load VST3 per default, it doesn‘t seem to be a problem…)

need to try in Logic

Return to “Instruments”