Omnisphere 2 slow interface

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
9009 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:32 am

I wasn't getting a slow GUI with the latest update (Omni and Keyscape used to cause my DAW meters to barely move), but it could just be my new system too. It was nice being able to use Omni and Keyscape without my DAW meters slowing to a crawl. First time.

KVRian
572 posts since 24 Apr, 2008 from USA

Post Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:04 pm

Also on bigger projects, when memory is more then 50% used or so, it takes about 7 seconds for omnisphere vst to open in cubase and reaper
win10 x64. cubase 10 x64.
gigabyte z390 gaming x, i7-8700k, 32GB,
2x 2TB m.2 nvme SSD, 1x 2TB sata ssd.

KVRAF
1575 posts since 24 Feb, 2004

Post Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:27 am

I've been whining about their GUIs for years. Mac and now Windows machines, I've always had to wait 15-20 seconds for the GUI to load.
Eric or someone did once reply saying "Well, Omni has so many more pages/controls compared to the usual VST."

It was like this on a much older Mac with Stylux RMX too, so it's a Spectrasonics thing and, I imagine, they're as likely to actually update Stylus RMX as "fix" Omni's lag.
"What embecile composed this list :/"

KVRist
470 posts since 25 Apr, 2005

Post Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:28 am

Yeah it is probably the worst VST synth I have in that regard. In Bitwig it is laggy enough for me to not want to use it. Slightly better in Cubase. There is no reason why a UI of any synth should lag, none at all.

KVRian

Post Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:40 am

also when loading a new multi or part preset, everything GUI-wise becomes unresponsive in Cubase and Omnisphere for about 10 seconds, even tho the sounds already got loaded and playing.

so the samples / sounds get loaded within like 2 seconds and are playable but the GUI freezes for about 10 seconds.

the heavier the project is the slower omnisphere is responding

KVRist
33 posts since 28 Jun, 2010

Post Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:32 pm

I just started having this problem after upgrading to Big Sur (previously on Mojave).

Omnisphere within Logic is very sluggish.... and it drags down the entire Logic UI while the plugin’s interface is open. The standalone Omnisphere app is still fast.

Previously, in Mojave, Omni was fast within Logic too.
I don’t know what the change was, but I’ve seen YouTube videos of Omnisphere + Logic running just fine on an M1 Mac, so it’s not necessarily Big Sur that’s the problem.

I’m using a 2018 6-core Mac Mini with eGPU. No change with/without eGPU.

KVRian
1168 posts since 23 Sep, 2004 from Kocmoc

Post Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:00 am

Huh. I just tested on this i7-4960X, SATA SSD and latest Live10 - opening Omnisphere by dragging it to channel took 4,5 seconds (I timed it).

Win7SP1 as OS.

Second drag to new channel took just under 3s.
Soft Knees - Demoscene - Live 10 - Diva - Omnisphere - Slate Digital VSX - TDR - Kush Audio - Fabfilter - PA - Valhalla - Fuse - Pulsar - NI - OekSound etc...

KVRAF
10250 posts since 16 Feb, 2005 from Kingston, Jamaica

Post Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:05 am

Spectrasonics as far as I know have had a hard time replicating this one hence no resolution for many.
I have had Omnipshere from day 1 on mac and pc, and have upgraded each maybe twice or thrice since and never had this issue, but yes some people have it all the time.

rsp
sound sculptist

KVRian
594 posts since 21 Jul, 2012

Post Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:25 am

CausticPuppy wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:32 pm
I just started having this problem after upgrading to Big Sur (previously on Mojave).

Omnisphere within Logic is very sluggish.... and it drags down the entire Logic UI while the plugin’s interface is open. The standalone Omnisphere app is still fast.

Previously, in Mojave, Omni was fast within Logic too.
I don’t know what the change was, but I’ve seen YouTube videos of Omnisphere + Logic running just fine on an M1 Mac, so it’s not necessarily Big Sur that’s the problem.

I’m using a 2018 6-core Mac Mini with eGPU. No change with/without eGPU.
Same here with Omnisphere 2 inside Logic Pro X on macOS Big Sur. Standalone app runs fine.

KVRer

Topic Starter

23 posts since 3 Jan, 2020

Post Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:24 am

I just got a used 2019 macbook pro. OSX High Sierra. did clean install of logic X and omniphere and same thing is happening with omnisphere. the larger the project gets the worse the response of omnisphere patch browser.

KVRian

Post Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:39 pm

So, did a clean reinstall of Omnisphere.

- Uninstalled omnisphere and steam folder.
- Installed Omnisphere 2.0 version and original STEAM fIles.
At this point omnisphere browser was working very fast. Selecting patch categories and patches was virtually instant.
- Updated Patches, library and omnisphere to latest versions and browser started behaving much slower. Selecting patch categories and patches takes about a second to 2 seconds to switch.
- Installed 3rd party libraries (That Worship Sound, PluginGuru, PlugHugger and many others) , Trilian and Keyscape and now Omnisphere browser is very slow again. Selecting patch categories and patches takes about 5 seconds

KVRAF
9337 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:01 pm

TS-12 wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:39 pm
So, did a clean reinstall of Omnisphere.

- Uninstalled omnisphere and steam folder.
- Installed Omnisphere 2.0 version and original STEAM fIles.
At this point omnisphere browser was working very fast. Selecting patch categories and patches was virtually instant.
- Updated Patches, library and omnisphere to latest versions and browser started behaving much slower. Selecting patch categories and patches takes about a second to 2 seconds to switch.
- Installed 3rd party libraries (That Worship Sound, PluginGuru, PlugHugger and many others) , Trilian and Keyscape and now Omnisphere browser is very slow again. Selecting patch categories and patches takes about 5 seconds
I hope you reported this experience to Spectrasonics. It shows that it's not your system.
System: Windows 10, Dell XPS 2-in-1, Bitwig 3, Steinberg UR44.

KVRer
1 posts since 3 Oct, 2021

Post Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:46 am

I had the same problem with Cubase 11 and Omnisphere. Standalone version of Omnisphere worked well. When I changed the Windows display scaling settings from 150% to 100%, Omnisphere started working well. No slowness of the user interface in Cubase anymore. The disadvantage is of course that Windows user interface was generally better on 4K display with scaling of 150%.

KVRist
306 posts since 12 Sep, 2007

Post Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:17 pm

Could it be the 3rd party or user samples causing the slow down?
I use a ton of my own waves, so just assumed that's why things were slower.
Omni has to convert the audio to it's own internal format, I seem to recall.

KVRist
154 posts since 16 May, 2019

Post Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:06 am

it only lags for me when I select a different multitimral channel number for some reason
If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. HOW CAN YOU HAVE ANY PUDDING IF YOU DON'T EAT YER MEAT!?

Return to “Instruments”