I have no idea what to do

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been dabbling in music for around 10 years now and I still suck ass. The cool thing is I'm pretty sure I'll still do it for the next 10 years.

Azbest wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:40 pm I've been dabbling in music for around 10 years now and I still suck ass. The cool thing is I'm pretty sure I'll still do it for the next 10 years.
pfft come back when youve done 30 odd years and are still shite! :party:

vurt wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:30 pm
Azbest wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:40 pm I've been dabbling in music for around 10 years now and I still suck ass. The cool thing is I'm pretty sure I'll still do it for the next 10 years.
pfft come back when youve done 30 odd years and are still shite! :party:
Consistence is the key, that includes consistent suckage. 8)

None of you are shite. If you can model and organize white noise, giving it just a few structures, you are making music, imo, and I like it. There are just some I like more than other. Stay on the good side with your muse and respect those of your fellow men.
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:40 pm None of you are shite.
that's your opinion.
spend a day or two in a studio with me before you make such a final statement :tantrum: ill show you!! :x

vurt wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:18 pm
TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:40 pm None of you are shite.
that's your opinion.
spend a day or two in a studio with me before you make such a final statement :tantrum: ill show you!! :x
Don't threaten us with a good time

I wonder if some people simply wear way too many hats (or assume they need to), and overthink the entire process. Making music doesn't need to be remotely as complex as many make it, with no detriment to the quality of the output.

Wearing too many hats can lead to creative exhaustion, confusion and slow progress.

Music production, like every art takes a while to get used to. I started photography 7 years ago and still learn new techniques but I also feel confident in what I do and can reproduce different lighting situations out of my head. It takes effort to move on...keep it going...it will become second nature eventually.

cantaloupe wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:31 pm I wonder if some people simply wear way too many hats
during the early part of lockdown, i went a bit weird, spent a small fortune on a lot of hats :oops:
seriously, when am i going to wear a bloody fez?

mindgap wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:55 pm Music production, like every art takes a while to get used to. I started photography 7 years ago and still learn new techniques but I also feel confident in what I do and can reproduce different lighting situations out of my head. It takes effort to move on...keep it going...it will become second nature eventually.
It's actually great you brought this up, because this will always be a thing for OP. In music production, you can always learn something new. I've given up on music and came back repeatedly, so I know the cycle, and find it more exhilarating when I just try new things. If OP is comparing himself to others constantly, that entire mindset will be a negative, so it's best to enjoy music as an internal thing.

OP needs to challenge themselves to keep things interesting. I've been through similar problems in a decade-long journey, and the one thing that keeps me motivated to work on music daily is the challenges and unique things I can learn. They can learn how to make a 4 bar loop into an 8 bar, then a 16 bar, then a 32 (no matter how bad they think it is). Read books on production, sampling, go over scales you don't necessarily use or think about, etc. I spend a few hours a day just working on things that slowly become performable to an audience, but the satisfaction comes in surprising myself with what my mind can come up with. Keeping things new and attempting what I didn't in the previous track provides the unknown, but I find it intriguing. Coming up with stories helps advance my production, too, so there's no limit to the creativity you can apply to move yourself out of a rut.

If you're still not feeling it, take a break and come back refreshed. Production is just like life; it's a journey. Sometimes, you have off-times, and sometimes, you're atop of the world and able to crank good stuff out in short amounts of time.

cryophonik wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:52 pm As for loop-itis, sometimes the best thing to do is to just finish it. One thing you can do is borrow an arrangement from another similar reference track. For example, 8 bars of intro with an atmospheric vibe on the tonic chord, 16 bars of the main theme with drum buildups and exotic percussion, 16 bars of a secondary theme, etc. Use your own musical ideas derived from your 4-bar loop, but use the reference track as a framework/road map and just make it work. Yes, it will probably feel a little formulaic, but hopefully the momentum you gain will be enough to finish it and you can always look for ways to switch up the arrangement along the way.
Hey, that's some great adivce. I will try to put that into practice. :)

vurt wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:03 pm
cantaloupe wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:31 pm I wonder if some people simply wear way too many hats
Wear it when performing magic tricks and telling stupid but funny jokes. It worked for Mr Cooper.

Kinh wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:51 amYou gotsta have music goals otherwise there's no initiative.
I don't agree with that at all. I spend hours every night just playing around because I like playing around. e.g. I have spent the last week-and-a-half working up a cover of Ultravox's I Remember (Death in the Afternoon), even though I know I'll never do anything with it - it's too obscure to do if I ever get my 80s cover thing off the ground and it's not at all suitable for NOVAkILL - so eventually I will declare it finished and find something else to do. But for the moment, I am having a ball just doing it for the sake of doing it.

Once we have a new goal, it will get serious and just be hard, boring, horrible work again.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

delete your presets and separate yourself from the scene. Yes, it's a slow process, and the end result shows.

Old Nick wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:13 am
vurt wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:03 pm
Wear it when performing magic tricks and telling stupid but funny jokes. It worked for Mr Cooper.
thats my issue!
if i wear the fez, people will expect that.
then imagine i trip and break my leg, everyone stands around laughing, thinking im being clumsy. not to mention, i wear my wizards hat while performing magick (i did state i bought lots of hats)

Return to “Production Techniques”