rob papen - predator 3

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Banned
203 posts since 13 Jul, 2021

Post Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:26 am

Teksonik wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:06 am
Predator 3 video have a very nice "Ensoniq" vibe to them like at the 14:58 mark of the video but then that patch is in P2 as well "Bell2 VoiceSynth". Very lovely stuff....
And a bit like a PPG.

KVRAF
16435 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:50 am

Indeed. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

KVRAF
2699 posts since 25 Feb, 2005

Post Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:23 am

It says in the description that Predator3 "combines" a large library of over 6400 quality presets so I wonder how many presets are actually new.

KVRian
531 posts since 27 Aug, 2020

Post Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:55 am

I like the way Predator sounds, but I've seen some people call it "warmer than Massive", which is misleading. It is warm, but in a firmly digital way and in order to get to the more analog sounds, you need to tweak it quite a bit.

I find that it is a very peculiar sounding synth, it's very hard to put it in words, it sounds oldschool in the digital sort of way, which is unique with all the wavetable synths trying to sound as modern and clean as possible.

KVRist
359 posts since 17 Sep, 2020

Post Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:50 am

4damind wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:35 am
Rob said in the stream that the sound engine was slightly changed, it was partly taken code from BIT (the newer Rob Papen synth). Rob also said in the video that Predator 3 probably sounds a little brighter than Predator 2. But you certainly have to listen very carefully, I could not hear anything special in the video.
New filter types (zero delay) have been added, so it's not just a tidier GUI. If I understood correctly, he will make another video/stream about Predator 3 (currently there are still some bugs in the GUI that he wants to fix first).
I like Predator. Nicer GUI and new filters are always welcome. Looks more of a .5 release, however. I'm definitely going to upgrade though.

KVRAF
2429 posts since 30 Dec, 2014

Post Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:57 am

This was the response to my thoughts and suggestions from Rob on youtube.
" Thanks for the input. The red waveform in the oscillator section also can be set to white. About the other ideas, well that is beyond the concept of Predator-3 and the workflow and for sure the XY as it is now is an essential part. It always should be visual."

It would seem that Predator 3 isn't planned to evolve in development in the same way that U-HE, looks forward in development with his devices other than a few bug fixes. By the way in which he states something to be always visible, that would to me mean that it's a permanent fixture always to be seen. A separate keyboard is said to be impossible due to its size but I don't see why there couldn't be a mini keyboard to display of some sort if not part of where the XY-Pad is, but part of the main display on a separate page, chords could be displayed there also.
THE INTRANCER - KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source A Styler Site | Program Resource | Music Gallery | Art | GUI Design | Films | Music Legend Docs | 80's Kids Shows | Games | DAW Tutorials | Soundcloud 28 | Soundclick 16

KVRAF
1699 posts since 25 Apr, 2009 from France

Post Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:27 pm

I’ve never been a fan of Predator because of its lack of crispiness. Warm ? Sure. But this time, for some reason I’m excited with this release. I’ll try it.
This post is supposed to be non-agressive. Now please give me a broad smile. :ud:

KVRer
28 posts since 13 Oct, 2018

Post Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:43 pm

I wished they would make an entirely new GUI from scratch. A reskin \ update is not enough, the competition is miles ahead

KVRAF
2099 posts since 26 Jul, 2004

Post Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:58 pm

No demo version jet

KVRist
242 posts since 28 Oct, 2010 from Mexico

Post Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:23 am

crickey13 wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:55 am
I like the way Predator sounds, but I've seen some people call it "warmer than Massive", which is misleading. It is warm, but in a firmly digital way and in order to get to the more analog sounds, you need to tweak it quite a bit.

I find that it is a very peculiar sounding synth, it's very hard to put it in words, it sounds oldschool in the digital sort of way, which is unique with all the wavetable synths trying to sound as modern and clean as possible.
All their products sound (and look) from 20 years ago to me.

KVRist

Post Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:49 am

When will it be released, or has Rob said?

Ta'.

KVRer
12 posts since 6 Mar, 2005

Post Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:59 am

Effectsworks wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:49 am

Ta'.
In 10 days.

KVRAF
2699 posts since 25 Feb, 2005

Post Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:03 am

pierb wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:23 am
crickey13 wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:55 am

All their products sound (and look) from 20 years ago to me.
I tend to agree generally speaking. I bought most of Papen's synths mainly for their generous amount of presets which I found pretty usable for composing. I don't get deep into synthness so I don't have that appreciation for some of the features that real synth guys might look for. Sound wise, I was never particularly impressed but to be fair, I do like that every single preset isn't overly saturated in reverb and delays.I tend to use his synths more in supporting roles than as a main synth at least so far. I'd be surprised if the sound was noticeably improved though because as you said, none of those synths sound different than the other to my ears though I'll most likely buy this one too for support stuff plus it looks less depressing and easier to look at than previous versions.

KVRAF
16435 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:19 am

I've spent some more time with Predator 2 in the last couple of days and it really is a lovely sounding synth. Do all Rob Papen synths have a similar character? Perhaps to a degree but they all have character and that's what is important to me.

On the subject of making our own patches has anyone figured out how to convert .wav files into P2's proprietary .uwv format ?

You can load "user waves" but only in the .uwv format unless I'm missing something. There are tons of single cycle waveforms available that would be nice to create Wavesets with in Predator.

Hopefully the ability to load files in .wav format will be added in Predator 3. Also hoping for more GUI sizes such as are found in Blade 2....100, 125, 150, 200%.

EDIT: I tried to simply rename a .wav file to .uwv and that did not work.
Last edited by Teksonik on Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

KVRist

Post Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:06 am

MartyK wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:59 am
Effectsworks wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:49 am

Ta'.
In 10 days.
Thanks!

Return to “Instruments”