Does Gibson still suck?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://hello.gibson.com/rally/

People who think that these guitars are worth these prices need to go and have their heads examined...

A few bits of wood,some frets,tuners,electronics and a bit of paint...

Actual cost = next to nothing..

This is madness,but it's just a sign of the times...

Warren taught us "that when people are greedy,be fearful."

The crash must be just around the corner and it will trigger a great deal of economic soul searching :wink:
No auto tune...

YnJ wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:40 pm I always wanted a Jackson as Mustaine was using them and I'm a Megadeth fan. When I finally got myself one he signs with Gibson. The Jackson guitar was pretty good though
I got a Jackson Kelly, the things a beast, never take it in the studio...it's too big, great stage guitar...if there were a stage.

I dont get buying a guitar because such and such plays it...kinda like buying underwear because someone elses ass looks good in them :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:14 am I dont get buying a guitar because such and such plays it...kinda like buying underwear because someone elses ass looks good in them :shrug:
:lol:
No auto tune...

Hink wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:14 am
I dont get buying a guitar because such and such plays it...kinda like buying underwear because someone elses ass looks good in them :shrug:
I like to look good in my underwear, chances are if they look good on someone else they will look good on me as well. I'm not sure where you usually get your underwear ...

I like a guitar which looks good, and mine is a 7-string anyway, never seen Mustaine use one of those. I've seen Jacksons a lot though, as I have seen Mustaine with them a lot, and I like the general look of them. I never get, usually, signature guitars. The only exception was a Steve Stevens signature Hamer I got years ago, I got it as it was an excellent guitar for half the normal price as they had problems selling it as everyone else wanted a Fender or a Gibson or something famous though, and no one had ever heard of Hamer around here. On the other hand I didn't know who Steve Stevens was. I seriously considered getting the Babymetal signature ESP E-II Arrow-7 though, and if I had a bit more disposable income I would have gotten it just to annoy people

I have a hello kitty squire and this is my Jackson

:hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Winstontaneous wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:06 am IMO for Gibson USA in the last 20-30 years the only geetars not made for rich dentist hacks are the Les Paul Studio and the similar SG model. At least for a while the LP Studio had ebony fingerboard, maple top, good pickups and everything you'd want in a US Gibson, for well under $2K.
The only two Gibsons I have are an extremely heavy 96 Les Paul Studio and a 2002 SG Special Faded with the ebony fretboard + half moon inlays.

The weight difference between my LP and a newer LP Studio is incredible, it's built like a tank. The maple top is basic but nice and the neck is fat, almost the same as my war-era LG-1. The original pickups are meh. The neck bucker is too boomy, the bridge bucker is too brittle. Tried a ton of different setups and strings, but nothing has seemed to really solve it. I have a JB+Jazz set I have in a box that I need to install. I currently string it with fat top, skinny bottom strings and it's my heavy, drop-d tuning rock guitar.

The SG is the one I'll never let go of. It's seriously the most well-balanced, easiest playing guitar I've ever played. The neck is thinner, but not too thin. The frets were all flat and buzzy, so I had them Plek'd and with the ebony fretboard it makes chording up and down the neck effortless and in tune. It's equally well suited for lead or rhythm guitar, and I just have so much fun with it.

Lol

jj
Last edited by codec_spurt on Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yep, Gibson is overrated.

This is my 2014 Gibson Les Paul Classic DC.

Buying a Gibson is always a bit of a gamble but I was fortunate enough to get a good one. The first sign of luck was the price tag. The retail price for these back then was 2190 euros but a large online store had it listed as pre-order for 1290 euros. :hihi: So my decision was quickly made.

I could probably have sold it with a profit if I had not liked it. But it turned out to be a flawless, great sounding guitar. To this day it is my favorite axe.

mountainmaster wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:52 pm This is my 2014 Gibson Les Paul Classic DC.

Buying a Gibson is always a bit of a gamble but I was fortunate enough to get a good one. The first sign of luck was the price tag. The retail price for these back then was 2190 euros but a large online store had it listed as pre-order for 1290 euros. :hihi: So my decision was quickly made.

I could probably have sold it with a profit if I had not liked it. But it turned out to be a flawless, great sounding guitar. To this day it is my favorite axe.
The typo Gods favored you that day! :hihi:

they suck if they don't do a lego sg :x

vurt wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:09 pm they suck if they don't do a lego sg :x
I was hoping for a Les Paul Standard but I guess it makes more sense if it could be the SG.

elxsound wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:20 pm
I was hoping for a Les Paul Standard but I guess it makes more sense if it could be the SG.
i think the lp is the more recognised model sadly, meaning it would likely be that.

would be nice if it took off, and they added flying v and explorer types too.
and teles for the fender range.

now the gate is open, it depends on sales how much they milk us with new models :hihi:

vurt wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:23 pm
elxsound wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:20 pm
i think the lp is the more recognised model sadly, meaning it would likely be that.

would be nice if it took off, and they added flying v and explorer types too.
and teles for the fender range.

now the gate is open, it depends on sales how much they milk us with new models :hihi:
If it had been a Tele I would have bought the set! But yeah... I get why they picked the strat first. Hmmm, so maybe I’ll get my wish for the LP?

I still want a Tele-like guitar. I’m not sure it’s gonna be a Fender though.

Return to “Guitars”