Help, Ableton Live CPU jumping to 1000% and causing a glitches in sound

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
KVRist
464 posts since 6 Feb, 2010

Post Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:48 pm

Hey, I have this problem with Ableton Live (and Cubase) that between moderately regular intervals, the CPU indicator of Ableton live jumps to 500% - 1000%, I hear glitchy distorted sound, playback stops for abt. 0.5 second, then continues. Sometimes this happens only once in 5 minutes, sometimes it happens between 10 seconds and so is very annoying. I had the same problem even with Cubase in the same computer so I suppose it can't be the host or plugin..?

I suspect that it is a driver, service or some windows component causing this peak but I have difficulties tracking down which process is the source. I am looking at Process Exlorer while this happens, and I only see minor changes in the list, I suppose that the update speed is far to slow to record the peak, so I can't find the source like this.

Does there maybe exist any software that records loads of all processes as a time series, or how do you suggest that what is the best way to track down the process, service or driver causing the peak..?

I have Core 2 Duo system, abt. 3 years old, 4 gigabyte RAM, M-Audio Firewire 1814 interface, and Windows XP SP3, Ableton Live 7.0.3.

I have a lot of stuff running in the background (a few Adobe Readers, Mozilla Thunderbird, Winamp, Daemon Tools, SSH, AVG Antivirus, Sygate Firewall, Google Chrome and a few wordpads, but I have difficulties believing that any other of these (than maybe the Antivirus) could cause so strong CPU peaks.

Computer just cleaned with CC-Cleaner, then defragmented, and everything unneccessary cleaned away from startup programs. So everything should be tip top (but of course the windows has been installed 3 years ago..)

So what do you suggest..?

KVRAF
6306 posts since 30 Dec, 2004 from London uk

Post Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:27 pm

Realtime audio requires an absense of background activity. I rekon thats where your problem is.

KVRian
954 posts since 26 Sep, 2005 from UK

Post Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:30 pm

Use the DPC latency checker (google it) to help work out which driver is the culprit.

But in addition, I certainly wouldn't recommend running Thunderbird, Adobe, etc, at the same time as a DAW. Thunderbird, for example, may decide to compact a folder or autosave a draft message.

KVRAF
2679 posts since 5 Feb, 2004 from Nevada City, California

Post Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:38 pm

DPC checker will show you the spikes - Microsoft RATT can tell you which exact process is the cause..

KVRist
39 posts since 8 Nov, 2009

Post Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:27 am

Do you have an asio drivers for your sound card?
If not google asio4all grab that, install it. In abletons preferences use asio4all as your sound card and when you run ableton in your system tray (bottom right corner of your start bar) asio4all's interface will be there click on it and adjust the latency to your needs with the move a lever.

KVRAF
31166 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Post Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:41 am

golemus wrote: I have Core 2 Duo system, abt. 3 years old, 4 gigabyte RAM, M-Audio Firewire 1814 interface, and Windows XP SP3, Ableton Live 7.0.3.

I have a lot of stuff running in the background (a few Adobe Readers, Mozilla Thunderbird, Winamp, Daemon Tools, SSH, AVG Antivirus, Sygate Firewall, Google Chrome and a few wordpads, but I have difficulties believing that any other of these (than maybe the Antivirus) could cause so strong CPU peaks.
Have you tried turning some background programs off?

KVRist
256 posts since 1 Nov, 2005

Post Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:41 am

my guess is some faulty plug.
cubase and ableton scanning their plug- folder at start up.
once, i was plagued by an old SM plugin (it wasnt recognizable at first).
the whole interface was very slow at some points.
tried starting without any external?

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:54 pm

OK, I tried DPC checker, I had it on background while the glithes in sound (and ableton live 500-1000% CPU indication) happen. DPC checker shows no spikes when this happens, maybe very small increase of values, but so small that I am not sure if it is an increase.

Would this evidence indicate (and the absence of any unnormal CPU spikes in task manager) that the cause would indeed be a VST-plugin? I emphasize that this happened both on Ableton and Cubase.

I would really be interested about your experiences of a VST plugin (NOT loaded to the project causing problems like this). I had these spikes happening in Cubase when I had nothing else than Camel Audio Alchemy synth loaded, and I have had the same spikes in Ableton Live in numerous projects that don't use Alchemy.

If you know any previous discussions, URL resources or whatever about this, I would be glad to know.

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:55 pm

and also I would be interested in the best approach to try to identify the plugin that is causing the problems.

KVRer
1 posts since 12 Oct, 2021

Post Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:21 am

Hello we are in 2021 now... and this problem is still not solved (for me).
I am using widows pc. With live 10 wss better, now with 11 i am encountering more glitching issues and spike of my cpu goes up to 1200%. During that time, i have no sound.
I want to go live but with this big annoying issue, i have to stick to analogue instrument :(.
Please help me, i would be so happy.

KVRAF
4281 posts since 7 Jun, 2012 from Warsaw

Post Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:28 am

Jesus F****, you resurrected a thread from 2010?

Start a new thread and post your gear specs, especially audio setup.
http://djwarmonger.wordpress.com/
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

KVRian
645 posts since 21 Aug, 2017 from Brasil

Post Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:32 pm

soukgmail wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:21 am
Hello we are in 2021 now... and this problem is still not solved (for me).
I am using widows pc. With live 10 wss better, now with 11 i am encountering more glitching issues and spike of my cpu goes up to 1200%. During that time, i have no sound.
I want to go live but with this big annoying issue, i have to stick to analogue instrument :(.
Please help me, i would be so happy.
Try viewtopic.php?p=7624448#p7624448

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”