Your First Synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi
An article on recommended first hardware synth: 6 affordable options for new synth explorers:

https://sonicstate.com/news/2021/10/14/ ... rst-synth/

What was your first synth? Have you still got it?

midierror

That's probably better asked and answered here:
viewforum.php?f=102

I went for a CZ 101 first, and then I bought DX 21. I don't have either one of those now, but I did buy a Sub Phatty about 5-6 years ago and still have it.

Maybe a better question here for this sub-forum could be "what was your first software synth?

sans soundcard tables of stock sounds, I think my first real soft-synth plug-in was E-mu Proteus with the E-mu sampler pretty close after that. A few years later it was the novation synths.
Atmosphere almost killed the idea of plugins because the company really did a number on me. Then Camel got me to go all in and then abandoned us.
Perhaps that's why u-He comes out on the top of my synth lists now.
As the GAS mud settles, they and Modarrt still shine the brightest for me. AAS is probably right up there as well, but can be a little redundant at times for my needs.

Oh! Still have the original Proteus software. Donated Atmosphere to the local library, and sold the Novations here. (At quite a loss.)
Last edited by BBFG# on Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

midierror wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:39 pm Hi
An article on recommended first hardware synth: 6 affordable options for new synth explorers:

midierror
I'm a bit surprised how limited those recommended synths are. For 250 €, you already get a Behringer Model D, or a Pro-1... you get much more mileage out of those than out of a Korg Volca, Behringer MS-1, or a Moog Werkstatt.

Hardware: Pro One (purchased in 1993) - still have it
Software: Reaktor 5 (purchased whenever it came out) - still have it
drab

Casio VL-1, and no. (Or if that doesn't count: a Moog Micromoog, and also no.)

If software, not sure what the first free one was, but first paid was probably Big Tick Rhino (and, no).

midierror wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:39 pm Hi

midierror
If you're talking hardware there's already a thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=102&t=563453&start=120

yobare wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:04 pm Image
:love:

the 1st i touched and took early lessons of synthesis in 1972-73 : EMS AKS
The 1st i've purchased in 1984 : Korg Poly-800

Ensoniq ASR-X, though more of a sampler/drum machine. Casio WK1600 with it. Ensoniq was used from my cousin. Still have the Casio at my parents. Really, really wish I held on to that ASR-X. Major regret.

Before that, and software, was the Download.com demo of Fruity Loops 1.4. Then a copy of Reason 1.0.

ive spent the last two years spending a fortune on things like this.
my son and his missus hate me but my granddaughter thinks im awesome :D
Last edited by vurt on Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neutron and I still have it. Nice filter and the BBD sounds much rounder than plugins. The expansive patchbay is nice for potential modular setups if I ever go that route.

There's a VSTi emulation but it doesn't sound anything like the hardware. :uhuhuh:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Examigan wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:59 pm That's probably better asked and answered here:
viewforum.php?f=102
more specifically here:
viewtopic.php?f=102&t=563453

...reminds me of those endless recurring thoman-clickbaiting-threads on amazona.de or gearnews...

Return to “Instruments”