DAW for beginner guitarist recommendation?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!

DAW for beginner guitarist recommendation?

Ableton Live
12%
Bitwig Studio
5%
Cakewalk by Bandlab
14%
Cubase
7%
Digital Performer
No votes
FL Studio
3%
Mixcraft
3%
ProTools
No votes
Reaper
29%
Reason
7%
Studio One
19%

Total votes: 98

RELATED
PRODUCTS

The easiest to use by a long shot is Garageband and it's free! All you need is a Mac for a dongle :dog:

this is odd. if you are a beginner playing guitar and that is your primary focus... then learn guitar and don't worry about a DAW at this point. imo a DAW is only useful for mixing/mastering and recording is secondary. as for recording you need something decent to record so again focus on learning to play THEN worry about a DAW and the rest. imo you are getting ahead of yourself if you are being honest.

cheers
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

antic604 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:26 pm My son has just purchased his first electric guitar - Ibanez GRX70QA; using his first temp job salary! - and we decided that until he's sure he's serious about learning it, he'll just use it with a computer (a PC laptop) and audio interface. In my plugin collection I had Positivegrid' Bias FX2, Waves' GTR3 and Presonus' Ampire so I installed them on his laptop to play with in stand-alone mode.

But eventually, he'd like to have a DAW installed too so that he could record, comp & arrange his playing.

I showed to him: Bitwig, Live, Studio One and Reason. I also have Cubase and FL but they're way too complex, IMO. He surprisingly liked Reason the most! He said it's ...the "most intuitive" with "everything looking like an actual device", the cables on the back triggered a "wow!" response. Thinking further, there's other benefits to Reason: tuner on every channel; great native pitch correction, warping and audio quntize; intuitive pitch to MIDI conversion; battery of really good devices - amps, effects, instruments - in-the-box; and THAT mixer!

Obviously, as it is well known, Reason's sequencer is a bit behind the times in certain aspects, but for simple arranging of few tracks it's more than adequate I think? Blocks mode is great for structuring the arrangement. All basic editing is available (cutting, reversing, stretching, fades & x-fades, clip gain)

What YOU guys (& girls) think? I made a bigger DAW list for your convenience, too.
Studio One for me...

Also, I would mention.. if you have an iPhone or iPad, don't overlook GarageBand for basic recording and stuff.

Reason is a great environment for guitar fx routing
- that's nice that he likes it

I’ve been using DAWs since Studio Vision Pro and to me, the most intuitive is Live. Before Live I was using Digital Performer and it was fine but it involved a lot of reading of the manual. Live just sort of made sense to me with not too much manual reading. I’m not sure about the others on the list, but my vote was for Live. A light version comes with a lot of audio interfaces. Easy to try out and see if you like it before plunking down money on the full version. Hell, you night not even need the full version.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

MadDogE134 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:06 am this is odd. if you are a beginner playing guitar and that is your primary focus... then learn guitar and don't worry about a DAW at this point. imo a DAW is only useful for mixing/mastering and recording is secondary. as for recording you need something decent to record so again focus on learning to play THEN worry about a DAW and the rest. imo you are getting ahead of yourself if you are being honest.

cheers
This is odd. Have you even read the OP?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

:hihi:

Ableton live, Logic, Cubase, Studio One.
all daws are not really diffrent
I recommed using daw that many people use.
Because it's easy to find information if many people use. And the bigger company is, the better support you can get.

From what I have seen from the anecdotal data of my circle and the kids in my classes; there is nothing faster to finished song across most musical objectives and thus functional use cases than Mulab. Simple, minimal, uncluttered, non intimidating, single window interface....3 views of the same underlying data accessible from a single button toggle with minimal pop ups...the power user functionality is always immediately accessible, but completely invisible and out of the way until you want it.
For the guitarist use case, a feature that may be a higher priority is comping. Tracktion has a shallow learning curve and robust comping facilities.
I agree with zerocrossing that ableton is one of the most intuitive and engaging in my experience, as for a guitarist and one man band performers, it essentially can operate like a hardware live looper
Music had a one night stand with sound design.....And the condom broke

Mixcraft. Easy to use and is cheap.
I5-8600K, 16 GB, Presonus Audiobox USB 96, Fl Studio, Reason 11, Studio One 5 Artist.

As a Studio One user, you know first hand there is nothing quicker or easier. Just drag your ampsim from the plugin browser to the Arrange window and hit record. 2 actions and you're tracking live guitar.

It's a bad idea to start someone out on a "starter" DAW. All it does is teach them bad concepts and practices that they carry with them when they move on to their grownup DAW. Ableton is probably the worst of them, warping a whole generation of kids with bad recording philosophy.

And just ignore the Reaper cult. These are people who are still on Windows 98, and they have a DAW to match.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

I think ableton live is one of the best and easiest digital audio workstations to use. You can try the latest version for free for 90 days, enough time to take a good look under the bonnet so to speak. https://www.ableton.com/en/trial/
Why the hell did I come back to this God forsaken forum? :dog:

jamcat wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:15 pm And just ignore the Reaper cult. These are people who are still on Windows 98, and they have a DAW to match.
:dog:

Yeah ok...If I would follow your advice I would never try what maybe is the best for me.
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

Boone777 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:04 am
jamcat wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:15 pm And just ignore the Reaper cult. These are people who are still on Windows 98, and they have a DAW to match.
:dog:

Yeah ok...If I would follow your advice I would never try what maybe is the best for me.
He gives Ableton live a slating as well, but my guess is he's probably never even tried it or tried it a long time ago when it was in it's infancy. It's one of the best DAWS which can be backed up by the amount of people in the music industry that choose to use it. As for Reaper I've never used it so can't possibly comment on it. At the end of the day there is no best DAW it's a question of taste, what best suits you and everyone is different so maybe best to try before you buy that's my advice
Why the hell did I come back to this God forsaken forum? :dog:

Return to “Guitars”