For the Hip Hop producers/beatmakers

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
KVRist

Topic Starter

50 posts since 27 Sep, 2021

Post Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:21 pm

elxsound wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:11 pm
Memsterrr wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:06 pm
elxsound wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:34 am
Most of what you're hearing for what sounds wide likely came in the mixing stage and then likely pushed further in the mastering stage.

You don't need anything beyond FL. Like Vurt mentioned there are no shortcuts, so if you do take a trip down this rabbit hole for mixing mastering just be aware that most of what you watch (for structured courses) will be in PT, Cubase, or Logic, but most things can be translated to FL and workarounds can be found for adapting to any host.

For just dusty, gritty, and lo-fi mixes there is no shortage of quick tutorials online. You'll end up rolling most of the highs and likely more than you feel comfortable with at first. There's more to this, but again lot of the grit comes in the mixing stages when you start adding in saturation effects. There no rule you can't do more before mixing but sometimes fixating on the sound can be detrimental to finishing a track. Again no rules, do you but it's something to keep in mind if you're not finishing things.

There are sections in the track where parts are pushed to sides, doubled/delayed. Look up ADT for the vocals... Its a heavily used effect in hip hop (used as throws in the video). There's lots of play of mono/stereo and M/S EQ placement. If something stands out in the video give us a time stamp in the video and someone here can likely tell you what's going on.

Another bit of advice you're free to take ignore... If you're going to learn more mixing, and if you're going the free route, try to find one person to study and learn their method before exploring all the methods. There's enough variations and tips/tricks to hold you back if you don't create a foundation to build from.
No time stamp... the whole track just sounds insane to me, in an obscure sort of way.

But thanks. Good advice again🙏

Somewhat relieved that I don't need anything beyond FL, for the simple fact that I cannot afford it!

So it basically boils down to simple compression, and mixing, huh? Who'd a thunk it... maybe I do need to learn compression more. My knowledge of compressors is superficial at best...
Compression, EQ, use of mid/side EQ placement, saturation effects and when to use them, tape effects and when to use them, delay, doubling effects, and stereo widening effects just name a few.

The good thing is that you know what you like, and you know you want to replicate so it’ll be somewhat easier to build up your skills for this.
Sounds like a lot of stuff I know nothing about!! Better hit up youtube when I get a minute lol

User avatar
Boss Lovin' DR
9215 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from the grimness of yorkshire

Post Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:26 pm

Memsterrr wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:19 pm
I have half-decent headphones and monitors. Only half-decent though lol. I have the k271 mkII AKG headphones... which is the best I could get for my budget. My VONYX monitors are small, and kinda weak. But they provide some reference, which is better than nothing.
AKGs are good. Never heard of VONYX before to be honest, but if they're small you won't be really getting a good representation of the bass you need for this stuff. Get a subwoofer - the neighbours will love you. :hihi:

KVRist

Topic Starter

50 posts since 27 Sep, 2021

Post Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:33 pm

donkey tugger wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:26 pm
Memsterrr wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:19 pm
I have half-decent headphones and monitors. Only half-decent though lol. I have the k271 mkII AKG headphones... which is the best I could get for my budget. My VONYX monitors are small, and kinda weak. But they provide some reference, which is better than nothing.
AKGs are good. Never heard of VONYX before to be honest, but if they're small you won't be really getting a good representation of the bass you need for this stuff. Get a subwoofer - the neighbours will love you. :hihi:
That assumes I have money lying around, waiting to be spent :hihi: A good pair of monitors isn't something I can afford right now, unfortunately. The struggle is real..

User avatar
KVRian
857 posts since 22 Feb, 2014

Post Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:44 pm

Here's something you might be interested in. Someone made a knockoff of XLN Audio’s RC-20 Retro Color for FL Studio.

https://www.reddit.com/r/makinghiphop/c ... _fl_studio

If nothing else, check out iZotope Vinyl for that fake cracklin' action.

User avatar
Boss Lovin' DR
9215 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from the grimness of yorkshire

Post Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:00 pm

Memsterrr wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:33 pm
donkey tugger wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:26 pm
Memsterrr wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:19 pm
I have half-decent headphones and monitors. Only half-decent though lol. I have the k271 mkII AKG headphones... which is the best I could get for my budget. My VONYX monitors are small, and kinda weak. But they provide some reference, which is better than nothing.
AKGs are good. Never heard of VONYX before to be honest, but if they're small you won't be really getting a good representation of the bass you need for this stuff. Get a subwoofer - the neighbours will love you. :hihi:
That assumes I have money lying around, waiting to be spent :hihi: A good pair of monitors isn't something I can afford right now, unfortunately. The struggle is real..
I wasn't suggesting ditech the monitors! Was meaning add a subwoofer. You can pick them up dirt cheap second hand as people sell home cinema systems etc, and at least you'd have a fighting chance with the bass.

KVRAF
4243 posts since 26 Jun, 2004

Post Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:51 pm

OP, dont miss this^.
ImageImageImageImage

KVRist
463 posts since 1 Jul, 2007

Post Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:38 pm

Since you already have k271 mkII AKG, why not get Realphones vst?

KVRist

Topic Starter

50 posts since 27 Sep, 2021

Post Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:03 am

Spin Boyz wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:38 pm
Since you already have k271 mkII AKG, why not get Realphones vst?
Added to the list!

Banned
393 posts since 13 Jul, 2021

Post Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:18 pm

This can easily be done in FL. This is all about sample selection. All you need is a vinyl player and some old records. Edison and Slicex are your friends in FL Studio. I make instrumentals similar to this all the time in FL. Cool track btw.

Return to “Production Techniques”