Your first plug-in instrument you bought (and the last one you bought.)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This topic made me google "First VSTi in history" as I'm pretty sure whatever it was, I bought it. I thought the technology and idea of effect "plugins" was amazing (first introduced by Microsoft by the way, as far as I can tell) and was sure it was going to be the way the future would be. It was already a discussed concept in many other areas of creative work so it made sense that it'd happen for music production too.

Speaking of the history of VST and VSTi plugins, the wiki page is really bare bones. Anybody made a good timeline of the history of this technology and a chronological order of things released in the early days? This might be a project worth thinking about.. as far as I can tell, nobody has made one yet.

I don't know what was my first 3rd party VSTi though. Obviously Steinberg Neon doesn't count as it was part of the Cubase 3 package back then (or one of the updates). I've bought them all, early on when they were introduced. Native Instruments was really early with some of their plugins so probably one of theirs was the first.

I also had some standalone stuff like Gigasampler, NI Generator etc.. but those don't count as they weren't plugins.

Last one I bought.. damn don't even know that. Arturia Pigments perhaps (bought at version 2)?
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

First: 2003 - NI Absynth and NI Kompakt (the baby Kontakt which was discontinued soon after) - bought them together
Last: Luftrum’s Lunaris
Next: Probably DS Tantra 2 which was just released (Tantra is one of my favorite ways to deal with post-Camel Audio’s CamelSpace abstinence symptoms)
My Soundcloud Too many pieces of music finish far too long after the end. - Stravinsky

First - Cycling 74's Pluggo

Last - Knifonium

First - Steiner Microcomputer
Last - Plogue Chipsynth OPS7

Memory is a bit crap, and I didn't buy anything for a while when I first started on a PC in 99/00.....

Possibly....

First - Muon Tau Pro
Last - no idea, I don't really buy stuff, nothing in the last ten years anyway.... maybe Hydra (updated from Junglist)
Next - nothing, got all I need.

First (2002): native instruments kontakt 1 and reaktor 3
Last (2021): VSL Synchron Strings Elite and Brass

First: RP Predator (2009)
Last: e-phonic Invader 2 (2021)

2005: EVM Plugins for Life.
2021: Dawesome Abyss
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

First: Can't remember. Too long ago.
Last: Don't know yet, cos I don't plan to stop buying any time soon.
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

First: PPG Wave 2V (when it was still sold by Steinberg), was the only reason I started with a DAW, Cubase (Cubasis as PC entry level at that time?). Just to be able to run the PPG VSTi.
Latest: Martinic AX73

First was either String Studio VS-1 or IL Harmless in... 2003? Last was the other, not long after. I'm a small minority in that I've only bought two; freeware and winning a drawing for Kontakt cover my needs.
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

I think my first one was Rhino. I also had z3ta+ and PlastiCZ around that time, though, so one of those may have been first?

Most recent was OPS7.

I've been waiting for Sumu, but I really don't need more synths -- it will have to impress me with uniqueness and also be priced in a friendly way. I didn't use Kaivo at all after buying it, though I love Aalto. In fact I kind of feel a wave of selling some licenses coming on.

Hewitt Huntwork wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:48 pm First - NI Dynamo in the late 90s
Last - UJAM Rowdy 2
Next - Probably Mellow and Deep from UJAM
I used Cakewalk from the time it was 12 Tone Systems through two decades and into SONAR, until it became unstable for me.
Hey, I could buy UJAM's new finisher Dynamo and then "Dynamo" would be my first plugin AND my most recent plugin!
If every KVR member wrote one review a year we'd have 1340 reviews each day!

First - Reality (1997)

Latest - Komplete 13 (if that counts)
Last edited by felis on Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

First : Sylenth1
Last : Komplete 13 Ultimate
Next : UAD Audio interface and plugins
:)

Return to “Instruments”