IK's 25th Anniversary Group Buy! Up to 25 for the price of 1

Buy and sell, post special offers, group buys, etc. NOT product announcements.
KVRist
48 posts since 20 Sep, 2021

Post Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:52 pm

torgo wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:38 pm
ThSProd wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:36 am
Hi all, I've all the syntronik stuff, the sampletank stuff (except for the resonator) and the t-racks stuff (exc the tascam bundle); I've also other 26 slots left, one at the 149$ and the other at 100$ or 50$.

Anyone can reccomend me the best/essential stuff for amplitube? I'm thinking to use the 149$ slot for Amplitube SE but then I don't know really what to choose. I'm not really a guitar player so I'll use the amplitube stuff for more creative purpose.
"Not really a guitar player" makes a difference. I'm not knocking distortion/overdrive, but for us as non-guitarists we don't really need every overdrive stomp pedal, and the "clean" channels of the amps are probably more useful for us than the amps and high distortion channels favored by metal guitarists.

But with that in mind, I'll second the recommendation for the Hendrix collection mainly for the amps that are included.

I did a rundown quite a few pages back of the main Marshall amps and the Amplitube sets that have them. The Hendrix set has the only JTM45 representation that I know of. That was essentially their flagship up through 1966. It has a Silvertone Twin Twelve 1484 and a Sunn 1200S, which are the only Silvertone and Sunn amp representations (not just these models, but any amp by those makers) anywhere in Amplitube. It has the Fender Dual Showman, a particular line not otherwise in Amplitube, and it also has models of the Fender Bassman and Twin Reverb and the Marshall JTM 100 (model #1959) Super Lead - significant models in the histories of Fender and Marshall.

So even if you don't intend to mimic the sounds of Purple Haze or Third Stone From The Sun, it's an impressive collection of vintage amps including several not found in the other collections.

Most of the effects are fuzz (distortion), but it has the tape echo stomp and the rotary speaker rack effect.

And in case anyone cares, it's the only collection that includes the AKG C-12 microphone. The Hendrix and Brian May sets are the only ones that have the Neumann U67 mic, and the Hendrix and Fender Collection #1 are the only ones with the Beyerdynamic 160 ribbon microphone. (If you've checked the prices in the custom shop, the mics are dirt cheap anyway - but I figured I'd pass along the info for anyone who might be interested.)
This is also very interesting to know; as you said as non-guitarist I don't need every single stomp pedal, but it's really nice to have a variety of unique amps to use and experiment with; thanks to all the people that replied to me kindly and with a lot of valuable informations; now I have a more clear idea for the stuff I'll chose.

KVRAF
7347 posts since 18 Aug, 2007 from NYC

Post Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:15 pm

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:31 pm
elxsound wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:25 pm
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:22 am
No denial about subscriptions because we have no plans to do so at this time.
That’s certainly an odd way to way to comment on subscriptions.

If you weren’t going the sub route it would have been a denial.

Saying you’re not going the subscription route “at this time” should be interpreted as yes it’s happening but not in October.
Sorry you find it odd. I don't think it is. I don't have a crystal ball, and people tend to nitpick posts (well, I suppose this is already an example) so I stated exactly how it is. We do not have any current plans to go subscription. The powers that be can decide something different if they so choose, hence the "at this time". It means there are no plans in the foreseeable future. There's no conspiracy going on.

And no that's not "how it should be interpreted" because that's not at all how it was meant.
I think it's fair game to nitpick especially considering the direction of the industry and let's not pretend you don't do the same with other users' posts because I've called you out before on your responses (overreactions) on other user's posts so maybe it's just a human thing. But I'm happy to hear I'm wrong.

KVRian
505 posts since 30 Jan, 2007

Post Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:46 pm

HM wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:47 am
But IMHO the worst product overall pt seems to be Sampletank

I was on Sampletank 1.0 and 2.0 in those days it made sense compared to the general market

After 2.0 it became cluttered, cpu-heavy, bad default eff-settings, lots of bugs in new releases

In version 3.0 giving up, the default sounds was uninspirring to put it diplomatic, only a few OK
Sadly, I have similar feelings about ST 3 and ST 4. ST 3 was a shift in philosophy more than a product upgrade, and I had a bad feeling about it when it first came out. ST went from being a light, nimble ROMpler to a bulky hard drive based sample player. Adding the round robin capability was a critical feature, but otherwise it's like the ST product has lost its way. It's as if IK is trying to beat NI at NI's game, but they don't have a gazillion third party developers making SampleTank libraries.

Shoot, I don't think they even have as many third party developers now as they did in the days of ST 1 and ST 2. And that's a shame, because in many areas ST is falling way behind other platforms and solo instruments. Piano is the most obvious category - no Steinway, no Fazioli, no antiques, no detailed uprights, no boutique makers, and nothing truly different except the Art Deco.

KVRist
368 posts since 9 Jun, 2020

Post Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:16 pm

I do believe we're nearly at the end... 85 to go to 25k.

HM
KVRian
634 posts since 14 Aug, 2001

Post Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:37 pm

Running dry for ideas for last picks

Drum library for Sample Tank at first I dropped ,.. thought it was only loops

Then I lokked the trailer for Terry Bozzio Drums ,.. seems as if individual drums can be used :tu:

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/s ... zzio-drums

Got 3 questions:

1. "Made for ST3", does that mean I need ST3 installed, or will be restricted on ST4 in any way ???
2. Will I be able to route drums out single to be proccesed in main DAW mixer on the fly ???
3. Is there anything written with small typos they did forget to tell me ??? :-)
HM

KVRian

Post Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:58 pm

"Made for ST3" = those drum sets came out when ST3 first came out, so they were brand new for ST3 (as opposed to ST2.5). But they load just fine in ST4. You don't need ST3.

Not completely sure what you mean by routing out drums single, but I can give you the basics of the kits... each library has the regular drum kit mapped to an extended General Midi mapping - meaning that you can play them by loading the full kit as a single SampleTank instrument and hitting notes on your MIDI keyboard or using whatever other MIDI controller you have available.

(Or you can use MIDI loops such as those made by Groove Monkee. You load the GM-mapped loops into your sequencer and have them play the drum kit. What's great about that approach as opposed to audio loops is that you can swap out drum kits as much as you like. If you play a MIDI groove on the Bill Cobham kit and decide it sounds a little too jazzy for the song, you can load the Neil Peart kit, and presto - exactly the same groove as before, but on whatever kit you load.)

The libraries also have subsets of the drum kits mapped to their corresponding GM mapping notes so that you can load them in bits and pieces to mix and match. If you want the Hugh Padgham kick and snare mixed with the Terry Bozzio toms and the Bill Cobham hats and cymbals, you can load those sets of pieces as separate instruments into a SampleTank multi (or macro) to make your own combined custom kit.

So to process the drums individually, if you can go by note range that can isolate specific drums. Loading them by individual component into a multi/macro (the mix and match approach) lets you use the SampleTank effects or controls separately as they are loaded into separate SampleTank instrument slots.

And if anyone is curious, the loops in those libraries are arranged as construction kits. Holding a note on the keyboard plays (and repeats) a loop. Holding a different note plays a different loop, and all notes within the same instrument trigger loops that are at the same tempo. That way you can play an entire song on the fly if you know which loops you want and what notes they are on the keyboard.

I still prefer MIDI loops, but I have to admit the construction kits were more fun to play around with than I had expected.

KVRist
98 posts since 1 Jul, 2021

Post Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:45 pm

[
Shoot, I don't think they even have as many third party developers now as they did in the days of ST 1 and ST 2. And that's a shame, because in many areas ST is falling way behind other platforms and solo instruments. Piano is the most obvious category - no Steinway, no Fazioli, no antiques, no detailed uprights, no boutique makers, and nothing truly different except the Art Deco.
[/quote]

I think 97% VSTi plugin users produce pop, edm, rock, hip hop and similar genres.
A Steinway grand is mainly used in concert halls for classical music or Jazz
So who would need a Steinway in pop, edm etc???
How many Steinway VSTi do we need?
Prof musicians will buy a real Steinway and
not a plugin.
IKM or ST has many pianos that will sit well in a pop etc mix! You can find some of the best available VSTi pianos even in their stock library, way better than everything I know from Arturia, Toontrack, XLN Audio or Native Instruments.
IKM covers quite a lot of things, so there's something for everyone, I only do not like IKM's drums, but that's just me.
Especially Modo drum's bad kicks and crashes make the whole VSTi unuasable for me, I am covered with good drum VSTis anyway, so...

KVRian

Post Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:29 pm

DCrown wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:45 pm
[
I think 97% VSTi plugin users produce pop, edm, rock, hip hop and similar genres.
A Steinway grand is mainly used in concert halls for classical music or Jazz
So who would need a Steinway in pop, edm etc???
How many Steinway VSTi do we need?
Prof musicians will buy a real Steinway and
not a plugin.
IKM or ST has many pianos that will sit well in a pop etc mix! You can find some of the best available VSTi pianos even in their stock library, way better than everything I know from Arturia, Toontrack, XLN Audio or Native Instruments.
IKM covers quite a lot of things, so there's something for everyone, I only do not like IKM's drums, but that's just me.
Especially Modo drum's bad kicks and crashes make the whole VSTi unuasable for me, I am covered with good drum VSTis anyway, so...
[/quote]

Saying that professional musicians wouldn't buy a plug-in is extremely naive, to be as polite about it as possible. It's also rather insulting.

KVRist
98 posts since 1 Jul, 2021

Post Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:58 pm

Pretty sure that most professional classical and Jazz pianists, I refered to this group first and foremost, rather use a real piano, because there is a big difference in playability, response etc and in order to improve your skills and make the best possible performance it's recommended to use a real instrument, of course.
Pop music etc certainly is a different group or level with different demands, challenge and preferences, so lots of productions without real pianos and no need for a Steinway Grand VSTi as I already wrote.

Imagine Martha Argerich performing or excersing on a Casio Keyboard in front of a computer screen lol
Last edited by DCrown on Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

KVRAF
5363 posts since 28 Dec, 2015 from Hanover, Germany

Post Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:07 am

Double Tap wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:16 pm
I do believe we're nearly at the end... 85 to go to 25k.
27... :party:

KVRian
1205 posts since 26 Apr, 2019 from Netherlands

Post Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:33 am

23... :hyper:

HM
KVRian

Post Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:21 am

torgo wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:58 pm
"Made for ST3" = those drum sets came out when ST3 first came out, so they were brand new for ST3 (as opposed to ST2.5). But they load just fine in ST4. You don't need ST3.

Not completely sure what you mean by routing out drums single, but I can give you the basics of the kits... each library has the regular drum kit mapped to an extended General Midi mapping - meaning that you can play them by loading the full kit as a single SampleTank instrument and hitting notes on your MIDI keyboard or using whatever other MIDI controller you have available.

(Or you can use MIDI loops such as those made by Groove Monkee. You load the GM-mapped loops into your sequencer and have them play the drum kit. What's great about that approach as opposed to audio loops is that you can swap out drum kits as much as you like. If you play a MIDI groove on the Bill Cobham kit and decide it sounds a little too jazzy for the song, you can load the Neil Peart kit, and presto - exactly the same groove as before, but on whatever kit you load.)

The libraries also have subsets of the drum kits mapped to their corresponding GM mapping notes so that you can load them in bits and pieces to mix and match. If you want the Hugh Padgham kick and snare mixed with the Terry Bozzio toms and the Bill Cobham hats and cymbals, you can load those sets of pieces as separate instruments into a SampleTank multi (or macro) to make your own combined custom kit.

So to process the drums individually, if you can go by note range that can isolate specific drums. Loading them by individual component into a multi/macro (the mix and match approach) lets you use the SampleTank effects or controls separately as they are loaded into separate SampleTank instrument slots.

And if anyone is curious, the loops in those libraries are arranged as construction kits. Holding a note on the keyboard plays (and repeats) a loop. Holding a different note plays a different loop, and all notes within the same instrument trigger loops that are at the same tempo. That way you can play an entire song on the fly if you know which loops you want and what notes they are on the keyboard.

I still prefer MIDI loops, but I have to admit the construction kits were more fun to play around with than I had expected.
Thanks for reply

By routing drums out single I mean not just being able to use the internal ST mixer, but be able to reach the main-mixer in DAW, making dub this is very essential, the snare need a very special spring reverb and delay, and so on for all other sounds, and I only want to work in one mixer, not 2 parralel universes :-) Working in Imperial Drums or Halion this would be possible, and Sampletank also got individual outs obviously, question is if the drum-libs are set up to reach these with the single drums isolated,.. playing them as kit

I am not into loops at all

So far I bought into Hugh, Terry, Billy, and Niel drums

L.A. Confidential and London Groves seems 100 pct loop-based, so dropped the for now

Other things:

Did supply ArtDeco with also Imperial Grand and Brandenburger, mostly not to loose slots :-)

Got several entryes,will leave around 15 slots until last day

IK might throw more in for the last weeks as a bonus now we reach the goal later today

They took me on one leg with the X-pedals and AT-ads ,.. that should not happen twice :-)
HM

HM
KVRian

Post Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:49 am

2 Question about T-Racks

Got both 5 & 5 SE as they impliment eachother, all the rest I got as singles, some both single and 5/5SE

(1) Is there any prefered prepartion, way to install, or issues to consider ?????

(so f.eks. they will apear uncluttered in Studio One, being able to browse in the same folder, and so on)

(2) Got some ancient T-Rack 3 plugs, etc, not updated for years it seems when looking in "My Products"

But it seems as they show up perfect in CS and the product manager,

Am I right assuming they will install fine in latest version despite discontinued in "my products" ????

(becourse if not I will update them all to latest version not labeled "3")

Strange as I never got a chance to upgrade these AFAIK, now they just look discontinued since 2011

That would be a license just disapearing ,.. the later ones are just the same plug but updated

As if they just renamed it all ,.. and threw the old customers of the wagon

tr.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by HM on Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:56 am, edited 4 times in total.
HM

KVRist
237 posts since 18 Jul, 2003 from NJ

Post Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:50 am

DCrown wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:58 pm
Pretty sure that most professional classical and Jazz pianists, I refered to this group first and foremost, rather use a real piano, because there is a big difference in playability, response etc and in order to improve your skills and make the best possible performance it's recommended to use a real instrument, of course.
Pop music etc certainly is a different group or level with different demands, challenge and preferences, so lots of productions without real pianos and no need for a Steinway Grand VSTi as I already wrote.

Imagine Martha Argerich performing or excersing on a Casio Keyboard in front of a computer screen lol
Considering that a Steinway can be upwards of $50,000, and many classical musicians live in small apartments in the city (I am based right near NYC and work with a lot of classical musicians), what they own in terms of their own piano might surprise you. I do know a few pianists who have grand pianos in their apartment (including one Steinway B), but also many with an upright piano or a good weighted keyboard just because of space or because of budget.

I’m working with a piano teacher right now on production of his online lessons and he sold his piano to make space. Currently he is using a Roland weighted keyboard and pianoteq and it’s working really well for him.

That being said, I do work in a church doing sound where there is a 7’ Steinway B and most pianists have loved playing here (we do a lot of non church events, including many classical concerts) because of that. So if you’re saying they’d prefer a real piano, you’re right, but to say they would not use a plug-in is not accurate at all. When your rent in the city is $2-4,000/ month (probably in the 4K range to have enough room for a piano), that can put a crimp in the plans to have a piano. Not to mention that you have neighbors who may not love your piano going at all hours of the day…

HM
KVRian

Post Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:19 am

Just 6 left :-)

HM

Return to “Sell & Buy (+Special Offers, Deals & Promos)”