Five New Soundpaint Instruments Revealed + First Tutorial ...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://youtu.be/osCpZjyQ1zA
Soundpaint will be available 10.21.21 // Exclusively at www.soundpaint.com
Last edited by Soundpaint on Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

It's going to be interesting to see how SP will be received. From the endless teasers and this video there is still a lot to be seen in terms of workflow and actual sound creation. Judging purely from this video, SP could just be another ROMpler doing trailer sounds.

SP and beta testers have been dropping all kinds of hints of how revolutionary the instrument will be. Let's hope there is some merit to that.

Allow us to elaborate a little bit more. Soundpaint is free and comes with a free vintage grand piano too. The experience of Soundpaint can be difficult to describe in words. It just has to be felt on the keys. Like ... this!

https://youtu.be/1w2l30QD5iM

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm only 2:50 minutes in - WHY did they begin the demo with that AWFUL and unusable sound? WTF? Is that supposed to sell Soundpaint to me?
Edit: Now I've listened up to 7:00 - more hideous sounds that are only useful for horror movies...
10:44 - 11:50 MORE of the same type of awful sound they began with at 2:50 - why? Is this part an April Fool? Why would anybody making a new VST even think of putting this sort of rubbish on a promotional video?
11:50 - Finally we have something that sounds musical and usable, and then it all goes to shit again at 12:25 with that mediocre bass sound, that any number of synths could do. What does this offer that other VSTs don't? Add to that the irritating noodling, instead of actually playing a decent bass line with it...
15:03 - Another mediocre patch that any synth could create, do we have to listen to it being played (and such a horrible tune too!) for minutes on end? This tells us nothing about SoundPaint.
16:20 Come on now - they're just taking the piss... Dreadful patch and dreadful noodling.
20:00 FINALLY another decent patch, why did they keep in so much of the rubbish sounding stuff when it can obviously make decent sounds like this?
From then on the demos are a lot better, but how many people would have been put off by the earlier stuff? There are some beautiful sounds later on. Why not put them at the beginning and get rid of most of the rhythmic stuff?

Soundpaint wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:37 am Soundpaint is free and comes with a free vintage grand piano too.
Good to know! :)

Can the free version import user's samples?
Can you make sounds from scratch with the free version, such as creating a supersaw pad or lead without using any samples or buying into other products to add on to it?

BenfordLaw wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:46 am I'm only 2:50 minutes in - WHY did they begin the demo with that AWFUL and unusable sound? WTF? Is that supposed to sell Soundpaint to me?
Its simply not your taste.
I like the sounds, but nothing new here, lots of reverb seems to be a selling point...

BenfordLaw wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:46 am I'm only 2:50 minutes in - WHY did they begin the demo with that AWFUL and unusable sound? WTF? Is that supposed to sell Soundpaint to me?
Why do people always feel the need to say this? While a demo might not speak to you personally, there are probably countless others for who it works. The universe doesn't revolve around your tastes, dude.

Examigan wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:36 pm
Soundpaint wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:37 am Soundpaint is free and comes with a free vintage grand piano too.
Good to know! :)

Can the free version import user's samples?
Can you make sounds from scratch with the free version, such as creating a supersaw pad or lead without using any samples or buying into other products to add on to it?
:tu: this! minus the supersaw bit maybe... but other sounds, or is it a free piano, but other sounds is where you make your money? (which is fine of course) but for me, user samples is a must, i have so many already :D
but would still hope for success, and maybe sample import in a future update if not now 8)

psynical wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:57 pm
Why do people always feel the need to say this? While a demo might not speak to you personally, there are probably countless others for who it works. The universe doesn't revolve around your tastes, dude.
I feel the need to say this because it sounds awful. The parts I said were awful ARE awful. Come on - if I had made a video of myself playing some random free VST like that, and asked you what you all thought, you all would have told me not to give up my day job. In what way were the bits I said were rubbish, not rubbish? Show me some successful, popular music that sounds like those crappy parts.
If you were hopping channels on your radio and one of those demos came up, would you stop and listen to it and wonder who made that wonderful tune? I doubt it.

What is it with fanboys on this forum? First we have it with the shitty presets with OPS7 (or whatever it was called), which did nothing to sell the product, now we have the worst presets ever heard, coming from SoundPaint, and still some of you are defending them. (Notice I am talking about those specific presets, I already said that some of the other presets sounded great.)

Can someone just tell me what the hell this IS? A sample player?

mixyguy2 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:47 am Can someone just tell me what the hell this IS? A sample player?
mebbe similar concept to the free version of Falcon or at least competing in that space

Palindrome… Glitchmachines… :lol:

mixyguy2 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:47 am Can someone just tell me what the hell this IS? A sample player?
Troels here (the inventor of Soundpaint).

First of all thanks for the feedback shared on this thread.

I can understand why things might seem a bit strange and unexplained at the moment. In essence, I built Soundpaint to make myself happy. A little bit of a counter-reaction to the complexities of today's music-making software.

I wanted to make something that was more musical (im) perfect in its DNA and most importantly just felt right on the keys.

This ended up requiring a complete redesign of the audio format itself. In the beginning I actually thought we had to build our own audio hardware recorders too to accommodate for the new format, but our brilliant lead programmer figured out how to take conventional waveforms and translate them into this new framework.

Soundpaint is a hybrid between traditional sampling, aspects of modelling and resynthesis without truly being either.

One of the benefits of creating a new audio format is that we have a newfound form of freedom. A part of my design inspiration came from Elon Musk when he talked about how they built the TESLA car from the inside and out. We did the same with Soundpaint. We designed the new audio format first and then took a beginners mind approach to the rest of the design.

The mantra was to shorten the distance from a musical thought to its actual creation. Logic and speed in the essence.

For example something as basic as assigning CC to a controller. Every piece of software is different.

But in Soundpaint it is dead simple. Just right click - wiggle your controller - done. Things are faster and super-optimized for active working producers. The load-time of a 127 velocity layer piano is about 0.3 seconds on an nVME SSD and that is 127 dynamic velocities on each key. A template with 100 fully populated instances runs at about 10 seconds on an nVME SSD.

Morph two instruments that each have 127 dynamic velocity layers - click morph button - move slider - done.

But hype and fancy specs aside ... To me, it all comes down to how an instrument feels and moves me.

I want a piano to feel and react like a real physical piano.

No velocity bumps, but rather fully dynamic responsive instruments. No need for key switches, but rather just instruments that work on the keys and are in harmony with fundamental controllers like pitch-bender and mod wheels.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

very nice piano demo!
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Return to “Instruments”