[video] Getting rid of clicktrack bleed in your vocal recording

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://youtu.be/bEDIrIoM1Ik

I've replaced this video and I warn it is long and drawn out; but it's good and I go over a lot.
One thing I should point out is that it's usually better if you're using a simpler click track. So if guitars, less variation, if drums, no or less fills. Keep it simple and then add complexity after.

Though I go over a denoising method; you could consider this method also, but you would likely need to tweak the Izotope voice de-noise a but (with custom settings) to make it effective enough. Though, I might even consider adding both librnnoise and it
kingozrecords wrote:Though recently I notice that RN noise takes to much of the transient :/ at least for pop-style singing
Last edited by kingozrecords on Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Updated this video and replaced it with new material. It's really long, but if you're having problems recording your voice and you want some ideas, maybe watch this.

If anything, by seeing a bad singer like Me come up with enough takes to utilize will make you realize that there really are no "perfect" takes to an editor. Ultimately everything's chopped by the greatest even in the cases of the greatest and you end up with the lp.

Next they practise ten thousand times till they can do it from instinct. Had they even finished writing the track until they recorded though, that's often the question. Often ideas can come later in the process.

See this as something that's humble and roughed but can probably be mixed, re-toned, flattened compressed, auto-tuned, pitched, and re-mastered until it sounds like one of My better tracks.
I write well, but I am not blessed with a good voice, so it is only My ability to continually innovate and improvise that gives Me an edge. If it was easy, would I push so hard.

A follow-up video with the entire process, of how I take this track and make it into something perfect and polished is coming. And it will be an hour or two hours long and you'll see every trick I use to make lead into gold.

It'll be released commercially, mark My words. Don't give up, look at hippos - they have no predators. They just sit around, wading around and not doing much while other less formidable creatures have to fight to earn every scrap. Do people want to watch hippos on tv? Or do they watch other creatures, that's the question.

Here's an mp3 demo of what I've been trying to achieve with this track:
https://dspplug.com/wp-content/All_Along_74.mp3

With that said, I'm creating two more parts to what will be a three part series. In the second part I explain how to take the vocal and to remove variation with fl studio. I'll be showing how to throw everything together with chops (which will be played at 2x speed) and I point out a few tricks along the way.

The third part is about mastering to above commercial spec. Adding a stereo effect consisting of haas, mid side and mono. I'll point out making sure that the guitar and the drums don't interfere.
When I demonstrate this it will become clear to many who watch that in such a case using an eq with higher resonance for its peaking filters becomes crucial, perhaps even more so if they are second order furthermore rather than first (But first are very stable and rarely cause problems during live processing).

I'll list the bus tracks used, and some effects to bring out the treble with a dynamic that simulates closeness like a thud, similar to room noise; making a the treble sound more like action, motion and mouth movement.

kingozrecords wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:28 am I've replaced this video and I warn it is long and drawn out; but it's good and I go over a lot.
No it's not any good. Do the damn video again. Seems you were stoned and not really well prepared.

Be prepared. It takes you from 3:20 until 4:45 to open a stupid text file.
Then a false start. You forgot to say to protect your ears.
Maybe write a script on paper what you're planning to do and stick to it.
Or edit the video, cut out irrelevant stuff and goof-ups.

Please don't talk through the music. If you have something important to say, pause the DAW. If you have irrelevant ramblings to share, we don't want to hear that.

For a demo it's fine to have a recorded track ready & prepared. All it takes is maybe 10 seconds of material to process. Why are we watching you from 6:30 until 28:15 to record a take. I don't hear any good explanation about why you apply certain effects and how to set them.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I doubt holding the mic for an hour helps with handling noise either :D

BertKoor wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:51 am
kingozrecords wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:28 am I've replaced this video and I warn it is long and drawn out; but it's good and I go over a lot.
No it's not any good. Do the damn video again. Seems you were stoned and not really well prepared.

Then a false start. You forgot to say to protect your ears.
Maybe write a script on paper what you're planning to do and stick to it.
Or edit the video, cut out irrelevant stuff and goof-ups.

Please don't talk through the music. If you have something important to say, pause the DAW. If you have irrelevant ramblings to share, we don't want to hear that.

For a demo it's fine to have a recorded track ready & prepared. All it takes is maybe 10 seconds of material to process. Why are we watching you from 6:30 until 28:15 to record a take. I don't hear any good explanation about why you apply certain effects and how to set them.
You can skip forward, videos like this aren't made to be perfect packages though. I guess some videos I just like to be real and boring but I can understand your sentiments.

Like nerds and mathematics believe or not, there is a boring side to them.

BertKoor wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:51 am
This video sounds amazing

Have you tried using close backed headphones?

thecontrolcentre wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:48 pm Have you tried using close backed headphones?
who knows :shrug:
Funny enough, the thread title is not the subject of the video. But whatever...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:05 pm
thecontrolcentre wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:48 pm Have you tried using close backed headphones?
who knows :shrug:
Funny enough, the thread title is not the subject of the video. But whatever...
:hihi: I didn't watch the video ...

Neither would I.. sigh * ok ok I'll make a new better video. A short one. Thank you everyone for your suggestions I appreciate them.
I've been multi-tasking so had no time to address this earlier.

Return to “Production Techniques”