Apple announce new 14" & 16" MBP with M1Pro and M1Max

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If you scroll down the page https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro-14-and-16/ until you get to the CPU Performance section and then select Logic Pro you'll see:

M1 Max with 10‑core CPU 3x
M1 Pro with 10‑core CPU 3x

Quad-core Intel Core i7
13-inch MacBook Pro

And

M1 Max with 10‑core CPU 1.7x
M1 Pro with 10‑core CPU 1.7x

8-core Intel Core i9
16-inch MacBook Pro

The comparison is made by the number of Amp Designer plugins they can run compared to the specified Intel CPU's.

So for the Amp Designer plugin it doesn't matter if you get the Pro or Max version.

How very un-Apple like to go back and fix past mistakes. HDMI and SD cards will be a welcome return, I imagine, as will 3 x USB/TB ports. Ditto for the Fn keys. I thought they might have included a numeric keypad on the 16" model but it looks like the same keyboard as the 14". I specced up a 14" to as close as I could to my 14" Asus and it ends up being Au$900 more expensive than the newer version of my Zenbook Duo at full price (top-spec Intel i7 CPU vs Basic M1 Pro). If the performance is OK, it might actually be worth that extra money which is, again, very un-Apple like. All of which is to say that for the first time in about a decade, this is a MacBook Pro I might actually be interested in buying (with Windows on it, of course).
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Looks like it will be awhile still before they work up to 24+ cores.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

BONES wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:47 am this is a MacBook Pro I might actually be interested in buying (with Windows on it, of course).
Pretty sure Apple Silicon won't run Bootcamp. That was purely a side effect of Apple's switch to Intel.

I had Bootcamp on my MacBook Pro and originally had intended on primarily running Windows. But that never happened and I eventually deleted the Windows partition completely. MacOS is just a better operating system. There's really no contest.

Good grief, not the “my OS is better than yours” debate again. Give it a rest please.

Hmmm. Well, I use both, so I guess my OS is better than my OS. But it's just a simple fact that there's a lot less BS and wonky behaviour to deal with on MacOS. That's certainly been my experience. What's the world coming to if you can't even point out that obvious fact on a Mac thread? :ud:

Perhaps it's obvious to you but I've certainly put up with far more "BS and wonky behaviour" on macOS over the years than I have with Windows, plus the issues below.
jamcat wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:56 amPretty sure Apple Silicon won't run Bootcamp. That was purely a side effect of Apple's switch to Intel.
Yeah, hadn't thought of that. Applications have to be written for ARM, so even if I put an ARM version of Windows on there, nothing would work.
MacOS is just a better operating system. There's really no contest.
1. No, it is not. It's window handling is an abortion, for starters.
2. Even if it was, I don't choose my OS, I choose my applications and the simple reality is that they all run better on Windows (and some only run on Windows), so that's what I use.
3. Apple have f**ked us over at work enough times that I simply wouldn't trust them not to do it again. e.g. Removed 32 bit support because they couldn't be bothered maintaining it any more and removed support for their own video codecs, even though every post-production house in the universe still relies on them every day.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:47 am I thought they might have included a numeric keypad on the 16" model but it looks like the same keyboard as the 14".
It's destroying center alignment of laptop, causing leaning left and neck tilt. Very unergonomical.
jamcat wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:56 am Pretty sure Apple Silicon won't run Bootcamp. That was purely a side effect of Apple's switch to Intel.
There are still Linux and BSD.
Murderous duck!

BONES wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:47 amAll of which is to say that for the first time in about a decade, this is a MacBook Pro I might actually be interested in buying (with Windows on it, of course).
Don't do it! Pretty sure that 'Bones buys a Mac' is one of the indications that the endtimes are approaching.

Oh look, a topic on the new Macs, cool!

Aaaaand it's hijacked by @BONES. So f**king predictable.

Ordered. Can't wait.

they look interesting, but some software i heavily rely on only runs on Windows, so maybe i will actually get one of these, but not for music production
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

"Up to 11x faster ML"

What is ML?

Machine Learning?

AnX wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:16 am "Up to 11x faster ML"

What is ML?
More Loudness
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”