Five New Soundpaint Instruments Revealed + First Tutorial ...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Lot's of promo tak about Últra Deep sampling , hearing the elektrons move through the cirquits etc YEEZ ...
Roland supernatural type of promo blurb , while in the end it was just sampling with clever scripting under the hood .
SO what exactly sets this apart from the competition ?
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

BenfordLaw wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:29 am I agree - THAT is how to start a demo video, with some decent music.
But don't mind me, I'm a 'troll' because I dared to say something that some of the fanboys here disagreed with... LOL.
Do you realize how ridiculous you appear, complaining that everyone who disagrees with you is a fanboy of a product that isn't even released yet? We're now just starting to find out about its capabilities and the business model. Reactions to the earlier teaser videos were mostly skeptical, asking for something more informative to show what it brings to the table that's new. And people still have questions about that. But somehow, all the people who think you're being too narrow-minded, they're just a bunch of fanboys who can't recognize the validity of other people's opinions.

For the record, I also didn't care for some of the sounds in that demo, and I still think you're the one being unreasonable.
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

BenfordLaw wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:29 am But don't mind me, I'm a 'troll' because I dared to say something that some of the fanboys here disagreed with... LOL.
Dude, no one here gives a shit about your always wrong opinion. You're neither a musician nor a designer, you're just some asshole with an irrelevant and ignorant opinion.

The mods really need to implement an ignore option for these forums.

there is an ignore function, click on the user name/link and 'add Foe'.

I thought the initial piano sound there was crap. Later there was quite a variety of sounds, some of which I thought were fantastic.
*mic morphing* feature.

this looks like 'granular sampling'. I expect it to cost more than I'm going to justify any time soon.

jancivil wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:38 pm this looks like 'granular sampling'. I expect it to cost more than I'm going to justify any time soon.
The OP said its free, so presuming there will be payware add-on instruments. Like Spitfire Audio and SINE player.
Soundpaint wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:37 am Allow us to elaborate a little bit more. Soundpaint is free and comes with a free vintage grand piano too.
https://youtu.be/1w2l30QD5iM

jancivil wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:38 pm I thought the initial piano sound there was crap.
psynical wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:57 pm The universe doesn't revolve around your tastes, dude.
LOL. Where were you when jancivil said the same as I did?

"The 1928 Grand Piano is free and comes together with our free Soundpaint engine."
Ok then. First thing I saw was 'the piano comes free with Soundpaint'.

I am guessing the 1928 Steinway is the same sample set as the 8dio one of the same name ? Wish them well 8dio has tons of content previously on the Kontakt engine they can use.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

I'm really excited for this. Some real nice sounding stuff. I'm glad they aren't on Kontakt that's what's kept me away from them for years to be honest. Not a big fan of Kontakt.

gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:26 am SO what exactly sets this apart from the competition ?
It uses way more disk space than something like Hive 2.

In terms of sounds I heard so far, I would do it with something like Hive, which I just got. Its presets alone reminded me on the sound world presented so far, and as the basic samples seem to be from a collection of analog synths, this fits perfectly my impression.
But who knows, maybe it‘ll blow my mind…
Its „just“ a platform for sound designers it seems… All they presented is well done sound design which could be done differently, but is aimed at those who don‘t do it themself…
If you need something that inspires you out of itself while watching the film you are supposed to compose to, it might fit your need.
I am afraid though, that those films will all get sort of the same sound track…

I DL’d the piano earlier, contrary to what some folks have said, to me the piano is quite nice. Listened on Adam Ax5’s with a sub, Avantones, and a set of Slate VSX’s with the Archon setting. No complaints. Def seemed more for the scoring, gothy emo, and deeper electronica genres in my opinion. Very moody vibes, but I like moody vibes.

For what it’s worth the dry 1928 piano was better than anything in Komplete IMHO and people shell out tons of dough for that, and this is free so it’s kind of a do you need another piano kind of choice. DL and installation was fast, painless, and went without issue.

I’m really curious about the “morphing” but since I only had the piano and a limited time to play around this afternoon I didn’t get that deep into it, I just thumbed through some presets and flipped through my monitors to check how it translated. Even played it through an iPhone and it sounded pretty dang good.

This seems like it could at the very least speed up sound design and I’m excited to play around with it some more with other modules besides just the piano and check out some of the extreme morphing and blending of various parts.

I think the website could definitely use some work explaining the products capabilities a little better. So far it seems like it will be a fun toy and the kits seem reasonably priced, so I will probably pick one up to blend with this piano and see what I can come up with.

At the end of the day it’s a free piano with some trippy fx and a lot of potential. If that’s your thing you will probably like it.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:09 am
mixyguy2 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:47 am Can someone just tell me what the hell this IS? A sample player?
Troels here (the inventor of Soundpaint).

First of all thanks for the feedback shared on this thread.

I can understand why things might seem a bit strange and unexplained at the moment. In essence, I built Soundpaint to make myself happy. A little bit of a counter-reaction to the complexities of today's music-making software.

I wanted to make something that was more musical (im) perfect in its DNA and most importantly just felt right on the keys.

This ended up requiring a complete redesign of the audio format itself. In the beginning I actually thought we had to build our own audio hardware recorders too to accommodate for the new format, but our brilliant lead programmer figured out how to take conventional waveforms and translate them into this new framework.

Soundpaint is a hybrid between traditional sampling, aspects of modelling and resynthesis without truly being either.

One of the benefits of creating a new audio format is that we have a newfound form of freedom. A part of my design inspiration came from Elon Musk when he talked about how they built the TESLA car from the inside and out. We did the same with Soundpaint. We designed the new audio format first and then took a beginners mind approach to the rest of the design.

The mantra was to shorten the distance from a musical thought to its actual creation. Logic and speed in the essence.

For example something as basic as assigning CC to a controller. Every piece of software is different.

But in Soundpaint it is dead simple. Just right click - wiggle your controller - done. Things are faster and super-optimized for active working producers. The load-time of a 127 velocity layer piano is about 0.3 seconds on an nVME SSD and that is 127 dynamic velocities on each key. A template with 100 fully populated instances runs at about 10 seconds on an nVME SSD.

Morph two instruments that each have 127 dynamic velocity layers - click morph button - move slider - done.

But hype and fancy specs aside ... To me, it all comes down to how an instrument feels and moves me.

I want a piano to feel and react like a real physical piano.

No velocity bumps, but rather fully dynamic responsive instruments. No need for key switches, but rather just instruments that work on the keys and are in harmony with fundamental controllers like pitch-bender and mod wheels.
I'm sorry but this didn't really answer my question. Can I get a simple, straight answer without all the esoteric adjectives? It would appear it is a sample player, but can also take samples and change/morph/model them in some way(s) like some synths do? And increased velocity granularity? Is that the gist?

I'm sorry I couldn't resist the low-hanging fruit here:
BenfordLaw wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:25 amYes, how ridiculous to actually want decent PRESETS from a synth!
It's not a synth, Einstein. Even I can tell that.
Actually, everybody who writes music actually builds their own instruments from scratch, every time they start to write a song.
That makes no sense whatsoever. Not that I'm surprised.
The preset and the (shit) noodling at 10:40 are possibly the worst thing I have ever heard coming from a synth,
One more time: not a synth.
and how amusing that some of you hear
What's amusing is that you can't even spell a simple word like "here." But again, not surprising.

Return to “Instruments”