Tears For Fears cover - Shout

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

More of my learning-by-doing approach. I did a reharm in the chorus part which is KINDA cool tho I think the original progression has a basic immediacy that I lost here, but anyway.

https://soundcloud.com/kearley/shout?si ... 5de8d07127

Hey Danno, I enjoyed your take on this. One suggestion though - the original track has a massive climax, which i think was missing from this. I think if you can work up to a bigger finale that would be awesome. Dynamically the ending you have here is pretty much identical to the intro (after the initial build up.)

I guess it's the 'adlib' vocals that push it up right? I wanted to attempt that part but it gets a little out of my range.
...still I should at least give it a try.

Thanks for listening Frank.

I've listened to this a few times and really dig it! TBH, I was really listening out of curiosity to see if someone else could nail the vocals on this song (it's def not an easy one to sing), and was pretty impressed! :tu: :cool:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

That's encouraging to hear, thanks. Funny tho, I'm a very limited vocalist and I saw this song as an easier, shouty (pardon me) song to try. This whole singing thing is very new to me .. it's all about learning/practice/etc. So thanks for being encouraging.

Danno wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:41 pm I guess it's the 'adlib' vocals that push it up right? I wanted to attempt that part but it gets a little out of my range.
...still I should at least give it a try.

Thanks for listening Frank.
Ad-lib vocals, overdriven guitars and more aggressive drums. You could maybe track the guitars cleaner early on, only engaging more dirt for the finale. in the original, during the first ‘shout’ chorus, it’s quite sparse, with just a low synth patch, with subsequent choruses adding more layers. The ending’s a great payoff :phones: I love that entire album

Really nice. I agree that it's a fairly easy song to sing and I quite enjoy singing it, too, but you do a great job here. If you want some critique, I'd say it's a bit too one-paced. Where the original has a lot of tension and release in the arrangement, you mostly have that near the end. If you could find a way to build into a bigger chorus, maybe by halving the speed of something in the verse and then having it double in the chorus? i.e. What you do in the middle of the first verse, at "Those one-track minds", but save it for the chorus.

I also think you could dial back the reverb on your vox a bit and it wouldn't hurt anything. But it's fine as it is. Good job.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Thanks Bones. Ya, there is a ton of reverb on the vocal. I kind of laughed as I kept turning the send up.

I will probably revisit it after a bit and try to have it build a bit better.

Book'em Danno,
I think the original was one of the best songs of the mid 80's; so curious about your cover. I saw TFF live a few years ago, they were good live. Sounds like it's in a different key, or some notes are different? Audio quality is very good. I think your cover version is very good, though it's difficult to compete with the original. Perhaps you could check out my music at this link:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=571979
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

Aaron; I changed the chords in the chorus just for fun. That's prb the difference you're hearing. I think it's in the same key anyway.
And ya, TFF are great writers. Everyone Wants To Rule is almost sacred.. I don't think I'd try covering that one. Hah.

D

Nice, well done! :tu:
I'd have liked the vocals to be more front and centre though.
They seem a little to far back for me.
Also, the percussion on the original is great.
Still enjoyed it though.

Shout is one of my favorite songs and you did a grat job on this one. Really like it :tu:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Awesome.. it's encouraging to hear this, thanks!

Danno wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:20 pm That's encouraging to hear, thanks. Funny tho, I'm a very limited vocalist and I saw this song as an easier, shouty (pardon me) song to try. This whole singing thing is very new to me .. it's all about learning/practice/etc. So thanks for being encouraging.
Well, to clarify, I’m not talking about the range or pitch, but more the delivery. I’ve heard many cover bands try to cover this song over the decades and most of them can’t match the delivery and end up sounding sorta wimpy and sappy in comparison to the original.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Return to “Music Cafe”