The Most Overrated and Underrated VST/AU (Effects And Instruments)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The thing with Thorn is that it doesn't rely on "grit" to be aggressive, the Glitch Sequencer can dole it out in spades without ruining the pristine quality of the sound. The Glitch Sequencer makes it a very special instrument in my book, moreso than what they've put in ArcSyn or Hive because it's so much more immediate and comprehensive.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:36 am The Glitch Sequencer makes it a very special instrument in my book...
:tu:

I agree...

The glitch sequencer can create some great filtered movement that really helps to lift a track...

Combine it with the arpeggiator and it's killer :wink:
No auto tune...

EnGee wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:57 amI wish that Urs/u-he team make a nice analogish sequencer for it (like the one in ARP 2600 V ).
I would like that.

Urs wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:09 am
EnGee wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:57 amI wish that Urs/u-he team make a nice analogish sequencer for it (like the one in ARP 2600 V ).
I would like that.
Is there a chance we get ACE 2.0 with a sequencer?

It would be great also if you think of a drum maschine (synth based with just one slot for a user sample, inspired or not) to add to the great collection out there, oh and maybe it's the time for u-he Collection upgradeable according to the number of plugs/synths we already have. Something like Rob Papen did with Explorer 7. That would be really fantastic 😀

EnGee wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:40 am
Urs wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:09 am
I would like that.
Is there a chance we get ACE 2.0 with a sequencer?

It would be great also if you think of a drum maschine (synth based with just one slot for a user sample, inspired or not) to add to the great collection out there, oh and maybe it's the time for u-he Collection upgradeable according to the number of plugs/synths we already have. Something like Rob Papen did with Explorer 7. That would be really fantastic 😀
Yeah, that would be great, but these things take time.

On the over-rated side of things, I've finally given up on Pigments. I've had it for a couple of years now and the only uses I've found for it are filler parts that I could just as easily use any freebie for. It has so much going for it but, ultimately, I can't make it sound big enough to use it more prominently. So screw it, I got stuff to do, I don't have time to waste. As with Hive, after a few big updates I get the feeling that I am not part of the target demographic because they never did anything that made it better in my eyes.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Strange! I'm in the opposite bank of the river of yours Bones! I re-bought Pigments (I sold it when it is v2.0) and it is with Zebra my first two to insert! I wasn't a fan of both synths as I was looking for both analog and digital big sounds! Nowadays, they are my favourite as they just sound nice in the mix.

Regarding Hive, I feel the same that I'm not the target, but for the opposite reasons! I want it to have more features in sound (FM, Sync, wave folding ...etc) while you want it simpler. Maybe you are right, because I already have Zebra (and now Pigments) for both simple and complex sounds. However, I'm glad that it has a commercial success as that would give u-he the resources to continue.

i think Sampletank 4 was the best i used
i dont make music anymore but this thing is great

D.K Envelope wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:31 am i think Sampletank 4 was the best i used
i dont make music anymore but this thing is great
I think ST 4 is also underrated. Lot's of people giving it flac, for reasons that I don't understand.

has the best sounds in my opinion

BONES wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:55 am On the over-rated side of things, I've finally given up on Pigments. I've had it for a couple of years now and the only uses I've found for it are filler parts that I could just as easily use any freebie for. It has so much going for it but, ultimately, I can't make it sound big enough to use it more prominently. So screw it, I got stuff to do, I don't have time to waste. As with Hive, after a few big updates I get the feeling that I am not part of the target demographic because they never did anything that made it better in my eyes.
I agree for what you said about both Thorn and Pigments. Demoed pigments 3 times and it was a "meh" everytime.

re: hive, i really appreciate the rhetoric here. You really might not be, because it keeps being my most used synth :)

digitalboytn wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:59 am
recursive one wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:04 am Thorn is one of the most aggressive sounding synths out there...
There is so much more to Thorn than just aggressive sounds...

That was the marketing angle and it can deliver some serious dirt,but it can also be as clean and pure as a castrato choir....

With balls :wink:
:D :tu:
Yes, i've already discovered its ability to make some really nice pads.

I had to cut away the balls with an LP filter tho
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

BONES wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:55 am On the over-rated side of things, I've finally given up on Pigments. I've had it for a couple of years now and the only uses I've found for it are filler parts that I could just as easily use any freebie for. It has so much going for it but, ultimately, I can't make it sound big enough to use it more prominently.
I was quite hyped about it when it came out too, but now, I don't really use it much. I especially find the filters quite lacklustre, which basically makes the whole synth not that much fun to tweak. I like the ease of use, and, apart from the filters, the sound engine is quite good. Wished I could Frankenstein the Largo filters in there, to give it a bit more fun though. ;)

underrated : nothing can be as underrated as vaz modular , maybe in the tope 10 of best raw digital sound of all time, i think it s still unbeaten in software.. whish it was all audio rate tought.
no plasticity in the osc sound.. very raw make me think to moog modular aka the king of raw sound

Ploki wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:38 amre: hive, i really appreciate the rhetoric here. You really might not be, because it keeps being my most used synth :)
Yeah but you probably don't have JP6K, because anything my bandmate sends me with Hive in it I can replace with JP6K in about 10 minutes flat. It's the best $29 I ever spent, I reckon.

Return to “Instruments”