Your First Synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Korg poly 800, have no regrets selling it... :hihi:

IrionDaRonin wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:40 pm
Examigan wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:31 pm
IrionDaRonin wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:59 pm First commercial software synth was Alchemy (i wonder how i can download and use it, so sad)
You didn't back up the files back when they were being bought out by Apple?
I have reinstalled it a few times since then. :)
I didn't, mate. I'm not much into synth news, and that epoque i was busy in other stuff, so i missed it. :(
Sorry to hear that. :( I don't even think there's any way to buy it 2nd hand as each copy has the original user's info embedded in it (besides CA being bought out by Apple)

midierror wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:39 pm What was your first synth? Have you still got it?
Not counting my very first keyboard (the derpy little Yamaha PSS-170)…

First hardware synth: Kurzweil K2000
Yes, I technically still have it, but it's been in storage for years. I bought it in the late 90s and had some fun with the presets, but it was way too advanced for me at the time. I never really got into making my own sounds with it, and ended up just using it as a MIDI controller. Now that I have a lot more experience, I'm sure I could finally figure out what to do with it, but at this point there are many software synths that are both more powerful and a lot easier to use (big computer screen with a mouse easily beats poking around in menus on a smallish, text-only display and ancient, slow CPUs). This was not a good introduction to the world of synthesis.

Lesson: When you're starting out, get something simple that just sounds good, like an SH-101. They're rather expensive now, but there are modern versions like the Behringer MS-1 and Roland SH-01A.

First software synth: Propellerhead ReBirth
Absolutely groundbreaking at the time. Surpassed by other emulations now, but I still have it on my iPad and it's still fun. This was also the precursor to Reason.
Stormchild

guess i could mention it in this thread aswell. My first synth was Waldorf Rocket. Great little synth ;)
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

It was called Dreamstation. DirectX only. It was in 2000.
Before, I used the included romplers supposed to play the MIDI files that are supplied with your soundcard.

Hardware ? A small ridiculous piece of garbage for children I still have since 1989.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

midierror wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:33 am
IrionDaRonin wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:59 pm First hardware i got, not a synth even Roland MC-303, i was nuts with grooveboxes.
First commercial software synth was Alchemy (i wonder how i can download and use it, so sad), i earned it in KVR contest. Since then, G.A.S didn't stop...

Have a nice day.
MC303 sounds great! I still have some samples off one from the late 90s!
I still have my MC303... :hyper:

GaryG wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:55 pm Korg poly 800, have no regrets selling it... :hihi:
That wasn't my first synth, but I also didn't regret selling mine. Not least because it occasionally would go out of tune during gigs, I'd have to grab the joystick and pitch it back until it behaved. Never really liked the sound of that keyboard.

First "keyboard" in a band was a casio something or other with a speaker on it. First actual synth was a Moog Rogue, which is probably the worst keyboard Moog ever made.

After that I went up several leagues with a Roland JX-10 in the mid 80s. Loved that thing, but it had issues with key contacts going out...if not I might still own it. After that was an Emu Proteus rack unit, which was an incredible piece of gear for that time.

Stokely wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:42 am
GaryG wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:55 pm Korg poly 800, have no regrets selling it... :hihi:
That wasn't my first synth, but I also didn't regret selling mine. Not least because it occasionally would go out of tune during gigs, I'd have to grab the joystick and pitch it back until it behaved. Never really liked the sound of that keyboard.
I'd read loads about synths before getting it (dean friedmans book etc) then an 800 came up for about the same price as old monos at the time (early 90s I guess) so seemed the better bet. But then you realise just how much an inspiration killer the interface was and it's limited architecture. Could have had an ms20 for similar money...

Halonmusic wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:28 pm guess i could mention it in this thread aswell. My first synth was Waldorf Rocket. Great little synth ;)
Waldorf always do great stuff. I was so into their Attack - which there is a hardware version of as well as the software!

DJErmac wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:24 pm Hardware ? A small ridiculous piece of garbage for children I still have since 1989.
Do I detect a Realistic Rapmaster / Casio Rapman?
Stormchild

Arashi wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:18 am
DJErmac wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:24 pm Hardware ? A small ridiculous piece of garbage for children I still have since 1989.
Do I detect a Realistic Rapmaster / Casio Rapman?
Hey, nice shot in the dark ! Realistic Concertmate 970 ! :D

midierror wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:14 am
Halonmusic wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:28 pm guess i could mention it in this thread aswell. My first synth was Waldorf Rocket. Great little synth ;)
Waldorf always do great stuff. I was so into their Attack - which there is a hardware version of as well as the software!
:tu:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Moog Minimoog, circa 1974

Hardware: Roland Juno 106, bought new from Sam Ash on August 15, 1985 for $775. (No, I don't have a photographic memory...I recently came across a VERY old envelope of music gear receipts...quite the walk down ancient memory lane.) I sold it in early 1992.

Software: It was either Kontakt 1.5 or Waldorf PPG 2.V (not 100% sure which I bought first)
http://www.davidvector.com
New album, Chasing Fire, out now on Amazon, iTunes, etc.
Bandcamp: https://davidvector.bandcamp.com/releases

Reaktor 2 by Native Instruments here. That was in year 2000 (Mama Mia - more than twenty years ago). I still have CD with this software monster somewhere BTW ))

Return to “Instruments”